Rotel RB-1582 or Anthem A2 Amp???

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
I have the chance to get either of these amps at a great deal -- the Rotel is the newer version of the RB-1080, 200watts a channel (I can get it for under $800 and is only two months old) -- and the Anthem A2 is also 200 watts a channel (I can get this for $850 shipped)....

Any thoughts??

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I have the chance to get either of these amps at a great deal -- the Rotel is the newer version of the RB-1080, 200watts a channel (I can get it for under $800 and is only two months old) -- and the Anthem A2 is also 200 watts a channel (I can get this for $850 shipped)....
I have owned Rotel before and I can't rave about it. I would go with Anthem for sure.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'll admit, I'm a sucker for Rotel.

I've always felt they offered unparalleled beauty and design for the money.

The RB-1582 has all that I love. It's got a huge toroidal transformer, and a cache of caps that makes me drool. It's got 4 - 15,000uF 80v caps, which is plenty of juice for practically anything. Has 8 high output transistors dedicated to each channel. Using oversized heatsinks the Rotel is able to keep the heat down to a minimum, and at worst will be warm to the touch.

Comparatively the Anthem A2 has a similarly sized transformer and the same level of capacitance for each channel (can't verify voltage of caps, but the microfarad values are the same). Also, like the Rotel, the Anthem uses 8 high output transistors per channel, and again runs very cool with the use of oversized heatsinks.

IMO, they are going to operate very similarly. Both are excellent designs, but I prefer the looks of the Rotel and it's cheaper for you.

Sorry, not much for sonic differences between amplifiers like these. They are both competently designed, and intended to drive a linear signal.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I would normally avoid Anthem because you usually pay more for the name but in this case, I agree with everything Seth said and would just pick the one that looks the coolest to you.

Can't go wrong with either.

BTW, my Rotel gets pushed very hard and it has never even felt warm.

J

jamie2112

Banned
The question is which one looks cooler?????? Get that one.;)

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for all the input -- I actually decided to go with the Rotel -- the gentleman has only had it for two months...and I also liked it is the newest model from them while the A2 has been around for quite some time without any updates -- I think I saw one review from 2004 of an Anthem A4...

Can't wait to see what this sounds and the added headroom will be great...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis