Rotel purchase suggestions

Y

yazooed

Audiophyte
Hi. I'm a Hi-Fi noob so I thought I would come here to get advice from the best of the best!

Years ago I had the most perfect hi-fi system. It was a Rotel RA 970 BX amplifier and a Rotel RCD 950 CD player with 2 x NHT SuperOne speakers. Later, I purchased a Rotel pre-amp for a Rega turntable I was given. It was the the perfect sound for me and I have never heard anything that has come close to it for my taste. It was basey (which I love) and crisp. I loved the combination. Unfortunately, I lost it in a break-up about 10 years ago and have missed it dearly. It's taken a while but I am currently working on replacing it.

It has taken me about a year, but I finally managed to find a pair of good condition second-hand original NHT SuperOne speakers and now I would like to purchase the replacement Rotel components. I was given a NAD amplifier C316BEE and CD player C515BEE and tried them with the NHT speakers but they don't sound that great and I don't like the NAD at all. I can hear the power and tone of the speakers but the NAD stuff just doesn't seem to have any power. I like bass and it doesn't have any. The NAD looks very nice though.

I was looking at the most recent Rotel amplifiers and CD players on their website and am a bit confused and wondered if anyone had suggestions about what would be similar/comparable items in todays market (Rotel only - I just really liked the brand). The only requirement - apart from not being really, really expensive - is that they have to be black. I don't mind buying second hand Rotel either.

OR do you think I should just keep my eye out for exactly the same amp and CD player that I had long ago and purchase as they become available on the market or get the modern equivalent? What are the modern equivalents?

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know the Rotel equivalents even though I do own their 5 channel amp and it is very good.

Are you in the same room you were in 10 years ago? The bass likely isn't the fault of the NAD but the room itself.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I have listened to aNAD amp (I think it was 185 Watts-could with some PSB Synch Ones and I was not impressed at all. Could have been the room which is a major player in every set-up. Rotel I had 2 processors years ago and they where nothing special either. On their power amps I can't comment. I had power amps rated at 100 watts and they sounded way better than the NAD amp. Now I own a older Krell processor which is nothing to write home about either. It does sound great, but not worth that kind of price. I do like the looks of Rotel and the pre-pro does not have a tuner which I liked about it. Just can't get into a 4-5k processor with a tuner, it's just a turn off for me.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Like mentioned already if you are in different room it will sound different. Also it has been quite a long time and your memory may trick you as well.. Time gives gold trims for memories. I would make it a new journey of auditioning current products and see what you like the most and go with them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis