C

class a

Junior Audioholic
Is the Roon Labs upgrade worth it? I recently got into streaming music w/a Bluesound Node 1 NIB for $299. Having fun w/it. I'm a lifelong Record/CD collector so I know very little about this format. Anyone use Roon? What's your opinion. Seems pricey at $449 for lifetime subscription.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Is the Roon Labs upgrade worth it? I recently got into streaming music w/a Bluesound Node 1 NIB for $299. Having fun w/it. I'm a lifelong Record/CD collector so I know very little about this format. Anyone use Roon? What's your opinion. Seems pricey at $449 for lifetime subscription.
Roon is excellent. I just renewed for a second year (annual subscription option).

I used Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to convert my CDs to FLAC, download Hi-Res and am also a Tidal Hi-Fi (lossless/CD quality streaming) subscriber. It all integrates seamlessly. My PC is the "Core" and I have Macbooks on separate systems acting as the "Outputs" going into DACs. I can also use my iPhone or iPad as remotes to control either one. Roon will also confirm the quality of your stream. I use it in "exclusive mode" with fixed volume to get the highest quality audio but it has other features that you can customize if you wish. Awesome metadata. The list goes on and it just gets better and better with constant updates. A well executed product.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Roon is excellent. I just renewed for a second year (annual subscription option).

I used Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to convert my CDs to FLAC, download Hi-Res and am also a Tidal Hi-Fi (lossless/CD quality streaming) subscriber. It all integrates seamlessly. My PC is the "Core" and I have Macbooks on separate systems acting as the "Outputs" going into DACs. I can also use my iPhone or iPad as remotes to control either one. Roon will also confirm the quality of your stream. I use it in "exclusive mode" with fixed volume to get the highest quality audio but it has other features that you can customize if you wish. Awesome metadata. The list goes on and it just gets better and better with constant updates. A well executed product.

Highly recommended.
eargiant:
I am unfamiliar with Roon Labs. I don't know anything about the solution. Could you give me a brief overview and what is it you get for $499 bucks?

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Here are a few links that will probably provide a much better basic overview than I ever could.

https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks.html

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Sound_Quality

https://roonlabs.com/

I listen to music almost every day so I don't mind paying $10 a month for the convenience, user experience and sound quality it provides. Likewise, I'm OK with paying $20 a month for Tidal Hi-Fi. The amount of high quality new music that I'm exposed to and have at my fingertips for the price of a CD or two a month is priceless. The fact that Roon & Tidal integrate so well together is a major plus.

Roon ties your entire digital music library (physical or streamed) together seamlessly, and does a wonderful job of not getting in the way (or if you want it can with parametric eq, upsampling, converting etc.), allowing for the best possible sound quality your files and system can reproduce.

I'm not saying it's for everyone but it works for me.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Here are a few links that will probably provide a much better basic overview than I ever could.

I listen to music almost every day so I don't mind paying $10 a month for the convenience, user experience and sound quality it provides. Likewise, I'm OK with paying $20 a month for Tidal Hi-Fi. The amount of high quality new music that I'm exposed to and have at my fingertips for the price of a CD or two a month is priceless. The fact that Roon & Tidal integrate so well together is a major plus.

Roon ties your entire digital music library (physical or streamed) together seamlessly, and does a wonderful job of not getting in the way (or if you want it can with parametric eq, upsampling, converting etc.), allowing for the best possible sound quality your files and system can reproduce.

eargiant
Interesting concept. I thought I'd seen most of the offerings and business models by now but this is a new one to me. You say you've had it long enough to renew for a second year so the service must provide tangible value. I learn something every day. Thanks for the tutorial.

C

class a

Junior Audioholic

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
I;ve been looking into Roon and one problem that popped up was Roon has a problem Identifying MQA albums as MQA. Does this problem still occur?

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I;ve been looking into Roon and one problem that popped up was Roon has a problem Identifying MQA albums as MQA. Does this problem still occur?
If you download an MQA file it does display the MQA tag. Currently, if you stream a Tidal Masters (MQA) it does not display the MQA tag but it does play at a higher bit rate and is MQA (as confirmed by my DAC). I think Roon will work this out with Tidal sooner or later.

The workaround is to edit the version to add MQA or create a custom album tag. This is something I'm going to do because as the Tidal Masters collection grows I've been adding albums to my library that I already have as 16/44 so it will be easier when to differentiate them prior to playing.

Last edited:
C

class a

Junior Audioholic
My first step will be to upgrade from basic Tidal to MQA. In about a month or so I'd like to try Roon. Is it hard to install and did it cause any problems during the download. Also how long does it take for the download? With this I have just about every format for music. Streaming, CD, TT, Reel to Reel. Think I'll skip cassette and 8-Track.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
My first step will be to upgrade from basic Tidal to MQA. In about a month or so I'd like to try Roon. Is it hard to install and did it cause any problems during the download. Also how long does it take for the download? With this I have just about every format for music. Streaming, CD, TT, Reel to Reel. Think I'll skip cassette and 8-Track.
The Tidal Hi-Fi membership currently includes access to the Masters (MQA) albums at no additional charge.

Done right, you'll find that streaming a high quality file will sound just like playing your physical CDs as long as the DAC you're using is equivalent to the one in your CD Player.

I don't remember it taking long to download or install and it is very intuitive and easy to navigate. They recently released a major update and it loaded relatively quickly and launched with no problems. I have it on both PC and Apple OS. No complaints.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

I've heard of it, but I'm not that well versed on Roon either

My music right now is about 300 CDs. Of those, about 100-120 have been ripped and included with about 1500 or so songs back when I had a Rhapsody account...most of this is on my Itunes account now.

I understand Tidal a little better. Essentially a higher rez online music library. Reading thru some of the info thats out there, Roon seems like a library management tool. Is this similar to JRiver? If so what makes Roon so much more expensive? Roon is $120 a yr or $500 one time...JRiver is $50 one time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From the description was thinking it compares to jriver or kodi type software and also wonder why in hell it costs so much and what it does better than the others. Does it handle only audio?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
The Tidal Hi-Fi membership currently includes access to the Masters (MQA) albums at no additional charge.

Done right, you'll find that streaming a high quality file will sound just like playing your physical CDs as long as the DAC you're using is equivalent to the one in your CD Player.

I don't remember it taking long to download or install and it is very intuitive and easy to navigate. They recently released a major update and it loaded relatively quickly and launched with no problems. I have it on both PC and Apple OS. No complaints.
I am starting the 30 day free trial Tidal to check out what all the hoopla is about. I have been a Spotify user for a year.

The first thing I notice with Tidal is the lack of a tablet based remote control app. Am I missing something? Itunes has an ipad based remote app. Spotify has a remote app. Jriver has a remote app. Whats with $19.99 a month and no remote? I fully admit I may just not know where it is.

The second thing I noticed about Tidal is the sound. From the first song, theres a difference. I am doing the hifi version and dang if it dont sound like a CD right in the machine.

Help with a remote app would be awesome. Other tips about Tidal would be appreciated.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I started to try the 14 day trial, but it's CC info first, and then they notify you days in advance when your trial will either expire, or continue and bill your card. It's not that I don't trust it's legit, or secure. I just don't agree with a need to have my card info for a trial. I don't care how common a practice this is, but faith goes two ways, even if in just a gestural sense. Call it stubborn, or old fashioned, but the modern electronic business model just tends to rub me the wrong way.

2channel lover

I don't have a subscription to Tidal...yet (I might sign up eventually). I do see value in having access to such an extensive library of CD quality music, being able to create your own playlist, etc. Since I've started this rebuild of my music/HT system, I've barely gotten thru a 3rd of my own library so I'm in no hurry.

It's Roon that I have more questions about. I researched a little last night and it does appear to be a music library management system that has extensive mediadata. In terms of sound quality I'm not quite understanding that.

On the surface it just seems like a lot of money to manage my music files, but I admit that's a subjective view.

2channel lover

I started to try the 14 day trial, but it's CC info first, and then they notify you days in advance when your trial will either expire, or continue and bill your card. It's not that I don't trust it's legit, or secure. I just don't agree with a need to have my card info for a trial. I don't care how common a practice this is, but faith goes two ways, even if in just a gestural sense. Call it stubborn, or old fashioned, but the modern electronic business model just tends to rub me the wrong way.
I don't blame you. It does seem to be a new way of handling business.

Not Tidal, but a related story.

I signed up for a streaming service to get NFL games. $20 for 6 mos...not bad I thought so I tried it. In the sign up process there was an option to get an HD quality streaming upgrade for $14.95. For 30 days it was free. To get it you had to put a CC on file to get this "free" trial. I did it figuring my exposure was only $15. In the end it wasn't what I was expecting so I cancelled within the 30 day trial period. Of course they had already charged my card for the following month which they said is common practice...it took a while, but I eventually got the $14.95 back.

In this case, your exposure is relatively low also, only $20. If you want to try it, I would move forward and sign up. The key is use a credit card (not a bank debit card) and read the fine print, and print out a copy of their promotion, cancellation policy, etc.

If you do it say this week, I don't know how Tidal operates, but there's a good chance they will charge your card for June before your 14 day free trial is up. If you decide to keep it, obviously, no big deal. If you cancel within the guidelines, you have all the docs you need for your CC company to reverse the charge for June if it comes to that.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Roon is a media consolidation framework with the ability to apply filtering including DSP convolution in software. Since it does this you have to be particular in what hardware you want to run with.

It can integrate supported streaming services, like Tidal, along with your local/physical libraries and they also have integration with some NAS vendors (QNAP and Synology).

It's a one stop interface for music management, filtering, playback for supported services/scenarios.

Since I don't use services Roon supports I use JRiver.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
MrBoat
I did not give the Tidal folks a credit card number to start the trial period. They have an option to use PayPal as a method. With PayPal you're setting up an authorization for the charge 30 days in advance. If the trial is successful, I will let it happen. If not, I'll nip it in the bud. PayPal is pretty good with unauthorized charges and consumer protections for getting your money back on a bad purchase.

I understand the aversion to giving a cc number when there's no purchase going on. I get it.

I decided I wanted to try it out since I had already tried out and accepted Spotify. Its no more of a risk for me. If Tidal works out, I'll probably cancel Spotify. Right now, with no remote control app, the jury is out on Tidal.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I opted for the Jriver. 30 day free trial, no card, monthly billing, and I like what I hear SQ wise. I could afford tidal, but $20/mo is pushing it.

2channel lover

Roon may be better, does more, etc. but once my build is complete and the focus is more on managing, adding and enjoying the library, I'm leaning towards jriver also.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis