B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I have a 7.1 setup in a huge room it's 40ft. Long and 20ft. Across from where my side speakers are. I have the chairs 20ft from the screen. My side speaker on the left has to sit on the fire place mantle because there to close to the chair if it's on the floor. It's a real long mantle two fire places. So the speaker on the right I built a box for it to stand on so the height is the same. The ceiling is vaulted an it goes to about 25ft high with a open loft up top. Does anyone have any ideas on a better setup? I will try an post some pics

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Oh my, that's a cavern. A really nice one though.

My solution would be multiple sets of good headphones. It's the quickest, easiest way to good sound quality. Everything else is lost in that room.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Bruin,
That is a beautiful, but very tough room for a HT.
Are there any other rooms in the home which might be better suited to a HT?
- Less reflective odd angle surfaces, less windows/high light levels, less openings to rest of home, etc.

IMHO the side surrounds being elevated on the fireplace mantle is not the major concern here.
- The seats appear to be set too far back from the screen and L/C/R speakers. I would suggest trying a closer arrangement in relation to both screen size and front speaker spacing. As a ROT, use about 1.4 times the L-R speaker side to side distance as the distance from the front speakers to the main listening point (MLP).

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
The room is pretty large but the sound is not that bad it doesn't Echo an if you watch a movie like pearl harbour or master an cammander the sound is all around you. The windows were a problem but I just watch movies at night in this room I add a 60 inch 3D TV up in my loft. I tried moving my seating closer to the screen but I did not have enough slack in all the wires 99percent I have running under the floor so I would have to run new longer wires. As far as using headsets I think my wife would divorce me after spending money on speakers an marantz reciever than a power amp lol not to mention the cost of high end headsets. Is it safe to say if your fronts are 12 ft apart your seating should be that plus half more the distance so 18 ft max?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The room is pretty large but the sound is not that bad it doesn't Echo an if you watch a movie like pearl harbour or master an cammander the sound is all around you. The windows were a problem but I just watch movies at night in this room I add a 60 inch 3D TV up in my loft. I tried moving my seating closer to the screen but I did not have enough slack in all the wires 99percent I have running under the floor so I would have to run new longer wires. As far as using headsets I think my wife would divorce me after spending money on speakers an marantz reciever than a power amp lol not to mention the cost of high end headsets. Is it safe to say if your fronts are 12 ft apart your seating should be that plus half more the distance so 18 ft max?
A speaker is only as good as the room in which it is played. So for orientation, your ears will have to decide the ideal placement.

Any troubles hearing dialogue? Bass booms that seem to last longer than they should? Do cymbals and strings sound natural? Can you close your eyes and be totally immersed, or can you identify individual speaker locations?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Great looking place maybe in the afterlife I will own something like that. :)Look for the Pioneer SE-A1000 headphones it's got a long a$$ cord and you can't do better for SQ. They run you a mere $50-70 on ebay. Check out some nice rugs so you can get closer to the screen for good sakes! Also try to put the sub in the back closer to your seating area.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis