Room dividers vs room acoustics

W

WxMan

Audioholic Intern
Our living room serves as our HT. Problem: the dining room opens to the living room sharing the same wall along the front where the LCR speakers are located. Thus there is a big open space that's about 8' long before the wall begins dividing the living room from the dining/kitchen area. I've been thinking about several ways to enclose that area ranging from a standard construction drywall to using room dividers. My budget just isn't big enough right now to cover the construction costs and materials to build a wall right there. Nice room dividers would be a cheaper alternative for providing a cozy atmosphere in the dining room.

However, I was wondering whether or not room dividers like the ones shown here could at least partially isolate the living room acoustically from the dining room. True, 6 ft tall room dividers don't make it all the way to the ceiling which is about 8.5 ft high. Nevertheless, would it be better than having nothing there at all for providing more contained sound in the living room (HT area)? Or, should I just save the $150 toward getting a wall built there which would likely be a few years down the road?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have a suggestion for something to consider, but I'm no acoustic expert - so I don't know if it will work well. Perhaps cover the opening with a fabric, such as a curtain or other dampening material.

When I had company one time, I blocked one of my archways (for privacy, not acoustics) using a sheet, two shower curtain rings (for mounting), and two 3M removable hooks like these. So, it's something that you could try really cheaply and without any permanent modifications. If it works well and you like it, then you could look at nicer fabric and mounting hardware.

Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
However, I was wondering whether or not room dividers like the ones shown here could at least partially isolate the living room acoustically from the dining room. True, 6 ft tall room dividers don't make it all the way to the ceiling which is about 8.5 ft high. Nevertheless, would it be better than having nothing there at all for providing more contained sound in the living room (HT area)? Or, should I just save the $150 toward getting a wall built there which would likely be a few years down the road?
Well unfortunately they won't do much if anything for acoustical isolation. They may cut down on some HF but not much...

Sorry :cool:

Gordon

W

WxMan

Audioholic Intern
I have a suggestion for something to consider, but I'm no acoustic expert - so I don't know if it will work well. Perhaps cover the opening with a fabric, such as a curtain or other dampening material.

When I had company one time, I blocked one of my archways (for privacy, not acoustics) using a sheet, two shower curtain rings (for mounting), and two 3M removable hooks like these. So, it's something that you could try really cheaply and without any permanent modifications. If it works well and you like it, then you could look at nicer fabric and mounting hardware.
Great idea. I can do that too. That would absorb the sound more than reflecting it. I suppose that would be ok. That side of the living room is solid wall from front to back. I know I get reflections off that wall. I guess that's why we have Audyssey and YPAO to help correct those things.

W

WxMan

Audioholic Intern
Well unfortunately they won't do much if anything for acoustical isolation. They may cut down on some HF but not much...

Sorry :cool:

Gordon
Acoustics seems to be a very complex science to deal with. Even so, if it's just a butterfly effect, it may in some subtle way alter the sound. Slightly moving a speaker from its place could do it. A throw rug laid on a bare floor below one's center channel speaker could also.

Indeed from the two responses I got it may seem iffy. But I've decided to give it a try. The wife likes the idea of isolating the dining room a bit more anyway. I was wondering if there could be an acoustical benefit as well. Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts. :)

M

Mikebiker

Enthusiast
I put up some curtains to add some visual and psychological sound isolation between my family room (where the HT is) and the dining room. While the curtains do not block much sound, they do make the sound seem less noticeable. It's the out of sight, out of mind philosophy.

Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
Acoustics seems to be a very complex science to deal with. Even so, if it's just a butterfly effect, it may in some subtle way alter the sound. Slightly moving a speaker from its place could do it. A throw rug laid on a bare floor below one's center channel speaker could also.

Indeed from the two responses I got it may seem iffy. But I've decided to give it a try. The wife likes the idea of isolating the dining room a bit more anyway. I was wondering if there could be an acoustical benefit as well. Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts. :)
Anything you can add to your space that will absorb sound ( carpet, curtains, etc) will help soak up the acoustic energy that is in your space. That in turn will help reduce some of the overall loudness of your space. However, in the technical term of isolation those adds will not isolate.

Gordon

W

WxMan

Audioholic Intern
Anything you can add to your space that will absorb sound ( carpet, curtains, etc) will help soak up the acoustic energy that is in your space. That in turn will help reduce some of the overall loudness of your space.
Gordon
Yes, that's what I was asking about. My wife and I recently bought one after I started this thread. It looks great. I can't really tell a noticeable difference in the sound though. However, I ran YPAO after setting up the room divider. It didn't boost the highs in the 4 K to 8 K HZ range as much it did without it. So it looks like at least YPAO 'noticed' a difference. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis