Room acoustic question

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I have a room that I am turning into a dedicated two channel music room. It's 11x10 with a 6 x4 entrance to it. Right now as it sits its nice but I will be adding ATS Foam to treat the walls. I am doing this as the room is a bit bright for my taste. Can anyone tell me if by treating the room to reduce some of the high frequency's that this will also help INCREASE the bass. If not what do I do for the room too increase the low end? If that's even possible...
I can tell you this. My towers sit about 25in from the side of the walls to the middle of the mid drivers. I have them about 18 in from the back of the wall and the bass is great if you stand between them and the wall... Out in the middle of the room where I sit it is very faint. By the way theses are Polk LSi-15 speakers. No sub in the mix right now.
Any help or suggestions.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately, the best speaker placement for bass is often not a good place for the higher frequencies. However, you can play with placement relative to your seating position and see if you can improve things. You could try moving them a bit closer to where you sit (or your seat closer to them), for example. Or you can move them up against the back wall (which is often not recommended, but it will tend to increase bass). If moving the speakers does not work (or if it does, but ruins the sound of the upper frequencies), then I recommend adding a subwoofer or two if you want to increase bass. SVS makes some great ones at a good price with a good warranty and good customer service. They start at about $500 each and go up. There are also other brands of good subwoofers.

But here are some suggestions for placing the speakers before you decide you need a subwoofer or two:

Speaker Placement for Stereo Music Listening

How to Correctly Place Stereo Speakers - Stereo Speaker Placement - Correct Placement of Stereo Speakers

Speaker Placement Tips for Real Sound - PSB Speakers

Here is what the manufacturer of your speakers has to say:

Home Audio Speaker Placement | Articles | Polk Audio®

You might also consult your owner's manual in case there is something unusual about the speaker placement that is recommended for your specific speakers.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that each room is different, there is typically trial and error in the process of setting up speakers ideally.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nice plug for your business there. :rolleyes:

Too bad your grammar is awful. I wouldn't hire you just based upon that. I'm sorry but my feeling is that if you don't even have a good grasp on the English language why would I expect you to know what you're doing with my home theater?
Here's what came to my mind:

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis