MrSandsman

MrSandsman

Enthusiast
Hello everyone. Newbie here, I have seen almost every video from this site and I am really thankful for bringing me back up to date on what I missed for decades!

Has anyone had an issue with their Roku Ultra with streaming HDR in atmos movies from Vudu? movies stop and sound breaks up to the point that you cannot watch a movie in HDR with Atmos

Or an issue with the Roku bullying every component in the chain? Meaning, it always forces itself to be the option on my receiver. Sometimes even turning the receiver and the tv by itself.

On the streaming issue I thought it was due to a bad hdmi cable but I swapped with new ones and nada.

My set-up has 200mbps internet service through hardwire Cat-6b Ethernet cables from the router. I speed test constantly and I get 150 to 230 Mbps through wifi same with my PlayStation 4 test through Ethernet. All settings for HDR are done correctly with both my TV and Roku (both calling tech support) to make sure.

Denon AVR-X4300H

I spoke with Roku's tech support and they said sorry for not including an ON/Off feature. So the device is "always on" and will keep slapping any other component.

Roku is pointing to Vudu and Vudu to Roku for the streaming issue. I am just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same issues.

I literally pull the plug on roku when I want it off for good.

Thank you

Mr S

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like the bullying is HDMI-CEC related. Do you have HDMI control enabled in the avr (in the setup menu - video - hdmi setup)?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Has anyone had an issue with their Roku Ultra with streaming HDR in atmos movies from Vudu? movies stop and sound breaks up to the point that you cannot watch a movie in HDR with Atmos

Or an issue with the Roku bullying every component in the chain? Meaning, it always forces itself to be the option on my receiver. Sometimes even turning the receiver and the tv by itself.

On the streaming issue I thought it was due to a bad hdmi cable but I swapped with new ones and nada.

My set-up has 200mbps internet service through hardwire Cat-6b Ethernet cables from the router. I speed test constantly and I get 150 to 230 Mbps through wifi same with my PlayStation 4 test through Ethernet. All settings for HDR are done correctly with both my TV and Roku (both calling tech support) to make sure.

Denon AVR-X4300H

I spoke with Roku's tech support and they said sorry for not including an ON/Off feature. So the device is "always on" and will keep slapping any other component.

Roku is pointing to Vudu and Vudu to Roku for the streaming issue. I am just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same issues.

Thank you

Mr S
Whenever I have gone to Denon CI training, they tell us to turn CEC off and have done this since CEC showed up. It causes nothing but trouble in a system that isn't limited to a few sources and a TV. Go into the AVR's menu and turn off HDMI control, too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You need to turn if off wherever the setting lies, which is the TV, Roku & AVR.
I know, but your previous response made it seem that there were two settings, one for HDMI CEC and one for HDMI control. If you just change it in the Denon it should prevent the Roku from changing input I would think.....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I know, but your previous response made it seem that there were two settings, one for HDMI CEC and one for HDMI control. If you just change it in the Denon it should prevent the Roku from changing input I would think.....
Yeah, someone would think that, but it's best to turn it off wherever it's hiding.

The forum I go to for Custom Integrators has a thread about "Would you rid the world of HDMI if you could and what would you replace it with?". I would rather have a dagger in the forehead.

The whole concept is bizarre- whoever is behind it still thinks people make copies of videos by connecting the output jack of a player and connecting the other end to some kind of recorder, one at a time. Yeah, someone could make millions that way. Eventually, if they live long enough.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
from Vudu? movies stop and sound breaks up to the point that you cannot watch a movie in HDR

Thank you

Mr S
Mr S,
I bought a Roku Ultra last year when I bought the new Vizio TV.
I have good internet, plenty of hardwired and wireless options and older Roku 3 units.
The Ultra was just troublesome for me. Movies would stop and start and sound would break up.
I never was able to figure out a root cause or a source. I changed course and went with another streaming method that works like a charm over the same network in my house. I have my ultra sitting on a shelf somewhere. I am sorry I can't pinpoint a specific cause with the unit, but, all the problems seem to go with the unit.

MrSandsman

MrSandsman

Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip!

Actually the HDMI control messed with the surround but found that by turning the RC source select to "source select only" made the roku to behave. Now I have to use all remotes but that is not a big deal! I am getting a harmony anyway...

A big thank you to all of you!

Mr. S

Attachments

MrSandsman

MrSandsman

Enthusiast
Mr S,
I have good internet, plenty of hardwired and wireless options and older Roku 3 units.
The Ultra was just troublesome for me. Movies would stop and start and sound would break up.
I never was able to figure out a root cause or a source. I changed course and went with another streaming method that works like a charm over the same network in my house. I have my ultra sitting on a shelf somewhere. I am sorry I can't pinpoint a specific cause with the unit, but, all the problems seem to go with the unit.
My HDTV is not capable of streaming In atmos, I think Vizio is capable, so far I only know of Shield or Roku consoles to stream
In atmos.

Thanks for your help!

Mr S.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
If you are referring to audio dropping out when watching ROKU content, it's an issue with HDMI handshaking.

The solution is to switch your video device input to an analog input (like over the air digital tv). It doesn't matter if you actually have a source connected there.

Let it sit there for a little while ... about five seconds works for most people ... then switch back to the HDMI input that has your ROKU attached. The sound will now work properly.

MrSandsman

MrSandsman

Enthusiast
Thank you Johnny, I will try and let you know.

I have confirmed with Google Tech Support that their new Google Chromecast Ultra is capable not only of Atmos but Dolby Vision as well. For $65 I will give them a try.

thanks!

Mr Sands

If you are referring to audio dropping out when watching ROKU content, it's an issue with HDMI handshaking.

The solution is to switch your video device input to an analog input (like over the air digital tv). It doesn't matter if you actually have a source connected there.

Let it sit there for a little while ... about five seconds works for most people ... then switch back to the HDMI input that has your ROKU attached. The sound will now work properly.

MrSandsman

MrSandsman

Enthusiast
yes, it looks like I am going this way as well. It is a shame that a company would bet their marbles in untested features, a simple note to say "Atmos not supported yet but we are working on it" would have been enough for me to decide if I buy or not. I spent quite a lot of time on the Roku and Vudu Forums, it is a well-known problem and people are all up in arms about it. I call it false advertisement.

Mr S
Mr S,

MrSandsman

MrSandsman

Enthusiast

sorry to report that this does not work Johnny

I ordered the Chromecast Ultra to test.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
sorry to report that this does not work Johnny

I ordered the Chromecast Ultra to test.
In that case it may not be your particular problem. It's a known issue with ROKU devices and if HDMI handshaking was the source of your problem, it's a known remedy.

I'm only posting this because it may help others with a ROKU audio dropout issue. It would be unfortunate if others didn't try it; it's easy enough to confirm and only takes a few moments to try.

MrSandsman

MrSandsman

Enthusiast
True I read the same procedure on ROku's tech support. The issue I have is that this procedure seems as placebo to make people think they actually thought about it.

I learned something new today. My original issue was/is that when I am trying to rent an Atmos movie in HDR using Vudu, the sound comes "hidden" within DDS+, the receiver actually says DDS+ but chirps, buffers and pops to the point the movie stops playing.

But today I tried something different, I bought a movie in Vudu in atmos and not only played flawlessly but the receiver actually displayed "atmos" on its display.

Now I am thinking that it might be Vudu and not Roku.... still very confused but it worked.

thanks

In that case it may not be your particular problem. It's a known issue with ROKU devices and if HDMI handshaking was the source of your problem, it's a known remedy.

I'm only posting this because it may help others with a ROKU audio dropout issue. It would be unfortunate if others didn't try it; it's easy enough to confirm and only takes a few moments to try.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
True I read the same procedure on ROku's tech support. The issue I have is that this procedure seems as placebo to make people think they actually thought about it.

I learned something new today. My original issue was/is that when I am trying to rent an Atmos movie in HDR using Vudu, the sound comes "hidden" within DDS+, the receiver actually says DDS+ but chirps, buffers and pops to the point the movie stops playing.

But today I tried something different, I bought a movie in Vudu in atmos and not only played flawlessly but the receiver actually displayed "atmos" on its display.

Now I am thinking that it might be Vudu and not Roku.... still very confused but it worked.

thanks
DDS+ ? Not just DD+ ? Haven't run into the former at least. The audio issue with the odd sounds reminds me of some receivers that had issues with DD+ (like in this thread)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis