Roku Digital Video Player

J

jnl67

Enthusiast
I am considering buying the Roku digital video player. I am most likely purchasing the HDXR model.

1 question: Will the Harmony 880 control it?

I am looking for comments, feedback and experiences with it.

Thanks,
Jim

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I am considering buying the Roku digital video player. I am most likely purchasing the HDXR model.

1 question: Will the Harmony 880 control it?

I am looking for comments, feedback and experiences with it.

Thanks,
Jim
Yes, and yes.

For the 2nd yes, I have very good experiences with it. Some prefer getting a BD player that also receives streamed digital content, that's a personal choice.

I prefer the stand alone box and the Roku does a very good job.

I use it for Netflix (free subscription if you are a rental customer). And also Pandora for music. That's free too, so far anyway.
There are many other options offered through the box too, like MLB and Amazon. Amazon gives you a $5 credit to watch any movie they offer.
You don't have to subscribe.

Very pleased on both counts. Works perfectly with my Harmony.

Not the best way to watch movies, but the HD movies they have provided look pretty damn good. You will not get more than stereo, but you can use Pro-Logic in your receiver and get some multi-channel action.
Naturally, PPV or BD is going to give you the best quality. But for many kinds of movies, esp. older flicks, TV or sports series, etc. it works out great!

Make sure you have a fast ethernet connection

Last edited:
J

jnl67

Enthusiast
Received the Roku HD-XR on Xmas eve. Easy to set up, works well.
Didn't account for an upgrade on the netflix account, but for unlimited streaming, it was worth it.

R

rramacha

Junior Audioholic
Buying one

Hello Folks

I ordered one as well and it should get delivered today. I hardwired AV Rack area, so my internet connection should be fast (hopefully). How much of a difference in PQ will you see between these and an Apple TV.

Cheers

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Hello Folks

I ordered one as well and it should get delivered today. I hardwired AV Rack area, so my internet connection should be fast (hopefully). How much of a difference in PQ will you see between these and an Apple TV.

Cheers
Not familiar with Apple TV. I would say the HD movies I've streamed from Netflix have been 'at least' as good as upconverted SD movies from my Oppo BD player. I think they look very good.
SD movies will vary, but overall I have had very few duds. I think it is a great source for watching movies, TV show reruns, etc. It is good for recent movies that don't rely on the very best video/audio presentation (ie; Dark Knight, etc.). I think the audio is the biggest limitation but it is clear, no noise, etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis