Roger Russell's new loudspeakers

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Those are some tall line source speakers! Wow. Sure would like to hear them. Anybody want to loan me $17K? :D Seriously... anybody???

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
A little more info...

I thought I should post these Q/A's because I'm sure these are coming.

10. Why is an equalizer required?

The response of the drivers is unusually smooth and extended. However, they do not cover the entire frequency range uniformly. The system by itself cannot deliver deep bass. However, by boosting the bass using the equalizer, bass can be extended to below 25 Hz. In the same way, the equalizer can extend the highs to 20 kHz and compensate for losses when the drivers are arranged in a column. The equalizer is carefully tailored to exactly complement the drivers in the column arrangement.

14. How can such little cones provide any bass, even with the equalizer?

It is true that these 3-1/2” drivers are very small compared to the 12” or 15” woofers that you are used to seeing in a system having good bass capability. You might think of the IDS-25 as a woofer made of 25 individual diaphragms all working together. Each one has an effective cone area of only 5.7 square inches. However, when combined together, the effective cone area of 142.5 square inches is equal to that of a sixteen-inch woofer and they couple to the surrounding air very nicely. The equalizer then provides the means to achieve a smooth and extended response for the deepest bass.

The large effective cone area of the IDS-25 not only delivers excellent bass but also effortless sound through the rest of the audio range and fills the room from top to bottom.

16. What is the power handling for the system?

The maximum peak power for the IDS-25 is rated at 200 watts. However, because of the higher efficiency over much of the frequency range, most of the time, you will need no more than 2 watts.

However, at the lowest frequencies, the bass boost from the equalizer increases power to the column in order to maintain a constant low frequency output. As the frequency goes lower, the power to the column gradually increases. At the lowest frequency of 20 Hz, the power requirement can be up to 100 times greater. It is very rare in music that frequencies this low will require this much power. A power amplifier of 200 or even 250 watts is more than adequate for the loudest of listening levels at the lowest frequencies.

At high frequencies, a boost from the equalizer also increases power to the column to accomplish a constant output. As the frequency goes higher, the power to the column gradually increases. At the highest frequency of 20 kHz, the power requirement can be 10 times greater. This is not a problem for the IDS-25.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Line source

If you are interested in line source, check out the upcomming LS-9's from av123.com for $4k a pair. They will have about 12 woofers and 9 ribbon tweeters on each speaker. No EQ or other hand waving required to produce the full frequency range (<30 Hz), that is what a good crossover design is for.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
X-over design is always key, but there is nothing wrong with using an EQ too.

Wow, those things look like they are around 6 or 7 ft tall.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
j_garcia said:
over. 7feet 4.75inches. I'd like to see how they look in my den! make everything else seem tiny.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
j_garcia said:
X-over design is always key, but there is nothing wrong with using an EQ too.

Well, (25) x 3.25" drivers = 81.25" + the spaces between and the top and bottom. Looks like 7' plus. The women will love them!:rolleyes:

SBF1

EDIT: See that get distracted by work and zildjian is all over it...:D

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
STRONGBADF1 said:
EDIT: See that get distracted by work and zildjian is all over it...:D
One of the benefits of working @ the computer a lot for the last couple months, it's always time for an audioholics break!

I don't want to bring up a sore subject guys, but nobody has messaged me about loaning me that $17K for these speakers.... I just want to try them out for the sake of everybody here. I mean come on, it's for you guys... cause you're all like brothers to me... really, so what's $17K among brosephs? :)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
zildjian said:
One of the benefits of working @ the computer a lot for the last couple months, it's always time for an audioholics break!

I don't want to bring up a sore subject guys, but nobody has messaged me about loaning me that $17K for these speakers.... I just want to try them out for the sake of everybody here. I mean come on, it's for you guys... cause you're all like brothers to me... really, so what's $17K among brosephs? :)
I just mailed $17...Oh wait a....I don't have $17K...just put the $17 in a kitty towards the speakers...:rolleyes:

SBF1

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
STRONGBADF1 said:
I just mailed $17...Oh wait a....I don't have $17K...just put the $17 in a kitty towards the speakers...:rolleyes:

SBF1
Thanks SBF1. I'll use the $17 to try to make cardboard cutouts of the speakers, so I can pretend I have the real thing. Now time to find a huge refridgerator box and a Kinko's.

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
i will order a pair and see how they stack against my

wilson speakers at much more. i can always pay the restocking fee and send them back,... hehehehe.I can picture the ups lady handling them. i bet you will get them in pieces, hehehe.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
STRONGBADF1 said:

SBF1
I'll put 17 bucks in my kitty towards speakers for Brad, too. (Maybe we'll get free surgery for this, later....remember the amputation photos?) :D

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
zildjian said:
Those are some tall line source speakers! Wow. Sure would like to hear them. Anybody want to loan me $17K? :D Seriously... anybody???

Sure. Let's talk intrest rates :D I'd love to hear a pair. Yo, AH staff; you guys going to that Rocky Mountain show? I put in a vote to send a guy or two and give us a review! (No rhyme intended...I ain't a poet) ;)
BTW; good find, Buckeye!

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Buckeyefan 1 said:
I wonder? :confused:
The IDS-25 Stereo Loudspeaker System incorporates twenty five 3-1/2" drivers arranged in an 88-3/4" high column. The advertised driver size is deceiving because that is not the size of the actual moving part. The effective diameter is only 2-11/16".
How can a 3 1/2 inch driver not be missing a lot of information. IE lows and highs.:confused:
No disrespect intended to anyone, but would these speakers be missing a lot, just like the Bose 901's do?:confused:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
surveyor said:
The IDS-25 Stereo Loudspeaker System incorporates twenty five 3-1/2" drivers arranged in an 88-3/4" high column. The advertised driver size is deceiving because that is not the size of the actual moving part. The effective diameter is only 2-11/16".
How can a 3 1/2 inch driver not be missing a lot of information. IE lows and highs.:confused:
No disrespect intended to anyone, but would these speakers be missing a lot, just like the Bose 901's do?:confused:
That's where the EQ helps. I don't exactly see how it can get down to 20Hz, and I'd imagine it is not quite as crisp at 20K, but it should cover the critical range extremely well.

V

Vynilforlife

Audioholic Intern
surveyor said:
Actually, I have heard 901 setups that sounded pretty darn good. The key to this type of design is the gain created by the linear array (which the 901's dont have). Much as a yagi antenna can have much gain, these speakers are very directional in the horizontal plane, thus eliminating the point source type of radiation pattern. The lack of a crossover system can actually help as long as cone breakup is not an issue at the higher frequencies. If you add the area of all the drivers, you get 141 in^2, the dayton titanic 15" driver only has an area of 114 in^2. Seems like there is enough area there to produce a significant amount of bass.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They have the surface area, but can they really go that low? It says they can... it mentioned they were good to 25Hz, and need the EQ boost at the bottom to really get down below that.

V

Vynilforlife

Audioholic Intern
j_garcia said:
They have the surface area, but can they really go that low? It says they can... it mentioned they were good to 25Hz, and need the EQ boost at the bottom to really get down below that.
This is true, the FS of the drivers are prob ~60Hz or so. In reality, how much content in music is there below 30Hz? These are meant for 2 ch listening, and I'd bet they sound really good. I am a fan of Mr. Russell, I think some of the products he designed while at McIntosh were top notch, I have no reason to believe this is an inferior product. Just my 2c though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I agree, these guys are intended for music nirvana :D and I don't think they really need to get down to 20Hz convincingly to sound great for that. Without hearing them, it isn't so easy to believe, but I'm sure they sound great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis