Rockford Fosgate 12" T2 subwoofer

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I bought a few of these rockford T212D4 drivers because a local surplus and salvage store had them brand new and in perfect condition for 67 bucks a peice.. Online the cheapest they go for is over $400

I am selling a couple of them to recoup my money but want to keep one or two for my own projects. Right now the only use I have is for my truck since I live in a small apartment and my PSB stratus gold i speakers already have plenty of bass. I do have a JL 8W7 in my truck. Not sure what the box is tuned for but its too high for my tastes. I used to have the Kappa perfect in my old truck tuned to around 20hz and I want to have something similar again with one of these rockford drivers. Wondering if anyone has used one of these or modeled it before. and if so how suitable they are for sound quality.

I dont want a typical car sub tuned to 35-40hz. Possibly i will keep a pair of them for a future stereo sub build like the dual kappa perfects I used to have if these drivers are suitable. Ideally i want to have dual 13.5W7 subs someday but who knows how long that will be...

Here is some information on the drivers.

Rockford Fosgate® - T212D4

Size 12"
Nominal Impedance Dual 4-Ohm
Power Handling 1000 Watts RMS
2000 Watts Max
Voice Coil Diameter 4" anodized aluminum
Magnet Weight 304 oz. triple stacked
Speaker Connector Dual 8 AWG slot load
Fs (Hz) 29
Re (Ohms) 6.4
Le (mH) 5.6
Qms 4.72
Qes 0.48
Qts 0.44
Vas (Liters) 26.4
Sd (cm2) 430
SPL (dB @ 1w/1m) 85
Xmax (mm) 19
Woofer Displacement 0.151 cu. ft.
(4.28 Liters)
Cutout Diameter 10.8125 in.
(27.46 cm)
Mounting Depth 8.875 in.
(22.54 cm)
Shipping Weight 59.0 Lbs.
(26.8 Kg.)

And a picture or two cause these things are so freakin massive!

annunaki

annunaki

I bought a few of these rockford T212D4 drivers because a local surplus and salvage store had them brand new and in perfect condition for 67 bucks a peice.. Online the cheapest they go for is over $400

I am selling a couple of them to recoup my money but want to keep one or two for my own projects. Right now the only use I have is for my truck since I live in a small apartment and my PSB stratus gold i speakers already have plenty of bass. I do have a JL 8W7 in my truck. Not sure what the box is tuned for but its too high for my tastes. I used to have the Kappa perfect in my old truck tuned to around 20hz and I want to have something similar again with one of these rockford drivers. Wondering if anyone has used one of these or modeled it before. and if so how suitable they are for sound quality.

I dont want a typical car sub tuned to 35-40hz. Possibly i will keep a pair of them for a future stereo sub build like the dual kappa perfects I used to have if these drivers are suitable. Ideally i want to have dual 13.5W7 subs someday but who knows how long that will be...

Here is some information on the drivers.

Rockford Fosgate® - T212D4

Size 12"
Nominal Impedance Dual 4-Ohm
Power Handling 1000 Watts RMS
2000 Watts Max
Voice Coil Diameter 4" anodized aluminum
Magnet Weight 304 oz. triple stacked
Speaker Connector Dual 8 AWG slot load
Fs (Hz) 29
Re (Ohms) 6.4
Le (mH) 5.6
Qms 4.72
Qes 0.48
Qts 0.44
Vas (Liters) 26.4
Sd (cm2) 430
SPL (dB @ 1w/1m) 85
Xmax (mm) 19
Woofer Displacement 0.151 cu. ft.
(4.28 Liters)
Cutout Diameter 10.8125 in.
(27.46 cm)
Mounting Depth 8.875 in.
(22.54 cm)
Shipping Weight 59.0 Lbs.
(26.8 Kg.)

And a picture or two cause these things are so freakin massive!

Interesting driver here for the price, however this is really designed as an SPL sub. It does not model well tuning below 30hz. You can tune lower but you are going to need to apply some parametric EQ cut to lower the peak centered at 60hz.

It can work as a music type sub within the linear range but it is not going to be plunging the subsonic depths as the anechoic f6 is at 20hz in a 1.625ft^3 enclosure tuned to 24hz. The problem is that your vent length with RMS power to keep vent velocity at or below 17m/s is 113 inches (41.25in^2 vent surface area).

If you low tuned your 8W7 it will probably sound better than these though with somewhat similar output levels (just -3db less over the majority of the range). It is a much more linear design.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis