Rocketfish WirelessHD Adapter First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Rocketfish has released through Best Buy their new wireless HDMI solution called WirelessHD. The WirelessHD Adaptors consists of two boxes (a sending a receiving unit), two 4 foot HDMI cables, two mounting brackets, and two AC adapters all for $600. According to Rocketfish, the WirelessHD Adaptors can send a single 1080p HDMI source wirelessly up to 32-7/8' and supports 120Hz refresh rate, Deep Color, and 7.1 audio (specified as Dolby TrueHD and DRT-HD which is probably supposed to be DTS-HD).

Discuss "Rocketfish WirelessHD Adapter First Look" here. Read the article.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
You forgot one scenario. What if you have to move your setup a lot or even just once, your cost for installation will far exceed the cost of wireless albeit, if it works.

S

sheepsimulator

Audiophyte
At first, I thought Tom's comments were a bit unfair. What about apartment dwellers who can't knock holes in walls?

The only reason you would use this device is if:
a) You can't/don't want to run wires, and
b) You need to distribute HDMI.

Most people don't need to distribute HDMI. I would imagine, for most folks, their HDMI cable runs from their home theater rack to their HD display. Maybe 6ft. Perhaps projector folks would like this? Maybe, but most people that have projectors had to knock holes in their walls to mount them, so why should they need a wireless distribution method? Maybe if you couldn't run wires through walls but could mount heavy objects to them, it would work. Maybe if you move your display around alot?

I think, in the end, it's meant for the impractical who are okay with spending large sums of money on something with limited benefit. It just isn't me.

G

grantster

Audiophyte
Where was the review of this unit?

I read the review only to find it was all general commentary and no review. Disappointing. Nonetheless, many will find this product perfect for their needs. Our home was built 3 years ago with a built in theatre room, pre-wired for a projector, but surprisingly, only with component vid cables, no HDMI. I'm not sure what handyman was asked for quotes in the review, but here in Vancouver, the cost would have been close to $1000 to tear through our ceiling, duct work, walls etc. Plus, if we move, that's a sunken cost. So for our purpose, where a single HDMI input/output is all that's needed, connected to a A/V receiver, this is perfect.

But does it work? Many previous attempts by other manufacturers, namely Sony's, have been disappointing.

We purchased this from Future Shop in Canada (owned by Best Buy) for $499 list ($100 cheaper than the US). Plugged it in, turned it on, and it works flawlessly. 1080p transmission, no loss of signal or delays etc, it works as stated. The distance is about 15 feet, so longer distances may not work as well, but this works as promised. We're pleased.

Will the price drop? I'm sure it will, but for our situation, and for others who have a unique situation requiring wireless, this works.

F

Faustblix

Audioholic Intern
You may be surprised that it matters in a corporate environment very much.

Running a long VGA cable to an HDTV mounted high, to run video content from a laptop, is far worse a presentation than the user attaching a wireless adapter to their PC from their desk, to run the content.

Especially in the situation where the content is streaming from the web, over wireless, VS a solid wired connection from the office or desk.

I'd be really interested in what the quality is like with this product. I personal don't trust Rocket Fish.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis