Roadmap to getting rid of cable...

itschris

itschris

I think more than ever, we're on the verge of a major shift that's going to put normal cable and tv on it's head... much like the MP3/iTunes revolution did to the music industry.

I hate cable. I pay for a ton of crap channels I don't want and have to pay extra for many of the ones I do. I don't watch a lot of series shows... I'm more of a flipper because I maybe watch an hour or so a day. Come a commercial, I just flip to something else. Like last night, I'm flipping between an episode of Two and Half Men which I've seen 40 or so times, the Military Channel, and something about asteroids on another... then later incorporated Duck Dynasty and a show called Devils Ride which I find to be comedy as well.

I'm not sure how my viewing style would work without traditional cable, but I'm willing to dig deep into it. Even if I had multiple subscritions to things like Netflix, Hulu, and/or eventually the newcomer Aereo, it'd still be far cheaper than what I pay for cable which is about $160/month. The only thing I really care a lot about is watching F1 and MotoGP on the weekends in HD.

So where to go from here? OTA antenna? Subcriptions? I guess I have to give up flipping channels which would be okay I guess. The only thing my wife watches is Pawn Stars, American Pickers, and for some reason... she's addicted to some show about towing cars on TruTV.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Welcome back! Get the new Roku 3. If you are a amazon prime member you get to see most of the shows/movies for free or rent streaming Movies/TV shows for 3.99(last 24 hrs). Netflix of course is another must have for 8 bucks a month. Hulu+(don't have it but well liked) is another one you can get for TV programs you missed. I got rid of cable in 2004 and never looked back. I use an antenna which is outside my window and that works for me.

itschris

itschris

I have an Apple TV 3 and an LG BD player that has all the media streaming stuff. Are Discovery, History, A&E and stuff like that on those services? I guess whatever I watch, I'll just have to sit there and watch. No more flipping.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Are Discovery, History, A&E and stuff like that on those services? I guess whatever I watch, I'll just have to sit there and watch. No more flipping.
No dedicated channels(although on Roku you get clips only from those channels), but you can get most of the shows on amazon prime or netflix. Now get rid of cable and save that extra money for food and wine.:D

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Chris,

I went without cable/sat for about 4 months using an OTA and the internet. It took a lot of looking to find the programs that I missed that were on cable. Mostly Food Network, BBCA, and a few others. There are some Disc,Hist, and A&E shows on Hulu but I think most of them are clips and not entire shows.
As for F1 and GP, that's really going to take some effort. I did miss F1 and some other racing, not NASCAR, and that took some effort to find online. Some times
I would get lucky and find something posted on YouTube. The quality can be underwhelming at best, but watchable.

I have subscription to Dirctv now and it's pretty good. I pay about $48.00 a month for sat tv and $45.00 for Uverse internet. I'm not sure how well sat tv would be on the west coast of Florida, but you shouldn't have too many issues with reception.

Here are a couple of links that may help you.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/televisions-displays/84952-worlds-greatest-antenna.html

Watch Formula 1 Online

After my two year contract is up, I'm going back to OTA. Good luck!

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
What about for sports? Any sports available via Hulu, Amazon Prime? Specifically, regional sports channels like Altitude, FSSW and such. Yay, nay?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Not what I wanted to hear...oh well. I'm a hoops head, which would be Altitude/TNT/ESPN/ABC. Looks like cable for the next couple months, then I'll cut the cord. In the meantime, GO NUGGETS!!!#teamness

itschris

itschris

Yeah see...that's the issue. There are just the staple shows on History, Bravo, Discovery and what not that I'd miss. Who doesn't want to tune in and see how they're buidling the biggest dam in the world in China. That's the stuff I find myself watching because I don't have to allocate specific time. I just watch whatever is on when I watch.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If you want to watch sports all the old ways of watching them online have gone away. I just added cable this weekend for the NBA Playoffs because the streams simply don't work anymore. That said Netflix is far better for normal TV than cable. There are no commercials so you can actually watch an hour long episode of whatever you like straight through.

I don't think the cost is that unreasonable when you consider all the content you get. Going to a good theater costs 20 bucks a person. Going to a game costs 20 bucks a person. For the cost of 2 tickets I can watch all this in my underwear eating popcorn and drinking beer.

One thing I would encourage you to do is to stop flipping the channels. I bet you'd get a lot more enjoyment out of watching a show all the way through. I read during commercials. I find it an easy way to kill the time and get in my brain exercise.

Last edited:
H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I'm using my Sony BD player, but I've heard good things about Google TV. Some friends of mine have Apple Tv and Google TV and say the content is much better with Google TV and if they had to choose one they would go with the Google. If it wasn't F1 and Cycling season, I would probably kill my pay TV....

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The idea of IPTV is a lot easier said than done right now. It is extremely confusing to consumers because there is nothing approaching a 'unified' IPTV streaming system in place that I have heard of. Then, the cost associated with something like that could easily match that of cable providers systems. The issue is that many of the channels out there charge cable companies for what they deliver, and those fees then are passed back to consumers. As their costs go up, your costs go up. But, IPTV would really be no different. Those charges would still be something that would be passed on to consumers. Now, Netflix and Amazon certainly offer previous seasons of shows, but current episodes of shows, especially off-beat shows, can be hard to come by. Hulu+ is a great way to get more popular stuff there, but from 150+ channels? Not even close from them. Then, of course, there is sports. Live, real time, HD sports... The best delivery method still remains cable if that's important. Frankly, I've never understood why people would pull away from the simple delivery system that cable offers. Yes, some channels are overly compressed, but if you find that form of entertainment enjoyable, then the fees paid are quite often worth the cost. Still, worth price shopping against DirecTV, Dish, and whoever else may be able to provide you services.

itschris

itschris

I just remembered that we get basic cable included in our monthly HOA dues in our neighborhood. I'm really considering going Direct TV and dumping all the extra cable stuff beyond what we get automatically.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I have basic cable for the On Demand and standard shows. I use Netflix for my streaming needs. Everything else I wait until the Library gets it or I buy the set when it comes out. May not be the most up to date, but there aren't that many shows that i'm dying to see.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have no cable. Interwebz only. Zero complaints. The shows aren't any different by the time I see them. I didn't watch what other people around the water cooler were talking about anyway, so that was never important to me :) Dancing with the stars, survivor and american idol? not the least bit interested.

N

NEW@THIS

Audiophyte
chanfeed still works great for me. any sports event I mean yea, you sacrafise hd at times but still get to see free sports and television

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The idea of IPTV is a lot easier said than done right now. It is extremely confusing to consumers because there is nothing approaching a 'unified' IPTV streaming system in place that I have heard of. Then, the cost associated with something like that could easily match that of cable providers systems. The issue is that many of the channels out there charge cable companies for what they deliver, and those fees then are passed back to consumers. As their costs go up, your costs go up. But, IPTV would really be no different. Those charges would still be something that would be passed on to consumers. Now, Netflix and Amazon certainly offer previous seasons of shows, but current episodes of shows, especially off-beat shows, can be hard to come by. Hulu+ is a great way to get more popular stuff there, but from 150+ channels? Not even close from them. Then, of course, there is sports. Live, real time, HD sports... The best delivery method still remains cable if that's important. Frankly, I've never understood why people would pull away from the simple delivery system that cable offers. Yes, some channels are overly compressed, but if you find that form of entertainment enjoyable, then the fees paid are quite often worth the cost. Still, worth price shopping against DirecTV, Dish, and whoever else may be able to provide you services.
IPTV is already here.

Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and nearly every sporting company offer online viewing packages, but the cable companies are cracking down on the practice. IPTV is the future, but the worlds not quite ready for the complete transition yet. I think it will happen, but I do agree the costs will still be similar to what they are now. I'm not an expert on cable technology, but doesn't it use the old line splicing techniques still making it less efficient.

G

Grador

IPTV is already here.

Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and nearly every sporting company offer online viewing packages, but the cable companies are cracking down on the practice. IPTV is the future, but the worlds not quite ready for the complete transition yet. I think it will happen, but I do agree the costs will still be similar to what they are now. I'm not an expert on cable technology, but doesn't it use the old line splicing techniques still making it less efficient.
I don't think that's how most people use IPTV. ATT uVerse is IPTV though, and that is here and very mediocre.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis