review / shoot out request - MONITORS

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
I know shoot outs are HARD, but I'd like a put a bug in the ear of the fine folks at audioholics.

A lot of us have spent a lot of time and energy on our formal home theaters, and 2.0 systems. But what about the computer desks where we all spend tons of time? For me, that will be my next purchase.

I've concluded (maybe not correctly) that near field-ish self-amplified monitors would be the way to go.

There are a lot of brands in the space that are completely foreign to me: Fostex, Adam, Behringer, KRK-Rokit, etc...

I'd like to get a better understand where they'generally rank relative to each other, are some known to provide excellent value to price, who produces no nonsense quality and true sound... Basically the stuff you already tell us about bigger speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
TAD 2201 ($1691), KEF LS50 (~$1500), Focal, Dynaudio, Adam would be pretty good. :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
And I'd love to know how Airmotiv6 compares to B3030A :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I know shoot outs are HARD, but I'd like a put a bug in the ear of the fine folks at audioholics.

A lot of us have spent a lot of time and energy on our formal home theaters, and 2.0 systems. But what about the computer desks where we all spend tons of time? For me, that will be my next purchase.

I've concluded (maybe not correctly) that near field-ish self-amplified monitors would be the way to go.

There are a lot of brands in the space that are completely foreign to me: Fostex, Adam, Behringer, KRK-Rokit, etc...

I'd like to get a better understand where they'generally rank relative to each other, are some known to provide excellent value to price, who produces no nonsense quality and true sound... Basically the stuff you already tell us about bigger speakers.
Needs to be a cap on dollars spent....and if it's with or without a sub (s)

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm partial to the JBL LSR series of active monitors, the 2325's or 2328's are both really, really good desktop monitors.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
This would be great. Monitors from pro audio brands should give bookshelf speakers from home audio brands a run for their money (or not?). I'd like a shootout that clears it up once and for all.

If the shootout is really comprehensive, we can even throw in powered home/lifestyle speakers (I'm looking at you Audioengine A2, A5+) vs. the commensurate product from Adam/Behringer/Mackie/JBL.

IMHO, it should go by price range, $500/pair, $1000/pair, $5000/pair.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis