Review of the Definitive Technology Studio monitor line

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Just wanted to do a review of the Definitive Technology Studio monitor line of speakers since I just completed my change over to this model line. I have SM 65 main channels and center. Yup a studio monitor center channel and yup its fantastic. I have SM 55 surrounds and last but not least I have a SVS PB-1000 sub which is fantastic.
This line is really fantastic. After having it now all together for over a month now the word to describe them that I keep thinking about is accurate. They are detailed and accurate. They do not seem bright or fatiguing at all. They actually make you want to just keep listening to them. You know you have good or great speakers when you watch movies you don't even like because the sound is so good. I'm watching "The fifth element" as I write this, a movie I despise but can't stop watching on this system because it sounds incredible. Even at low volumes it sounds really, really good and very detailed. I've many speakers from Def Tech that did not possess that quality. I can listen late at night at low volumes and still enjoy everything I hear.
The SM 65's in conjunction with the SM 55's are really impressive. They seem to work hand in hand together like a good team. For music its even more impressive. 5.1 music DTS/DD really makes them shine. Every detail in ever instrument or voice singing is incredible. I have a bunch of those awesome DTS CD's that DTS used to put out and all seem to sound awesome. The Police synchronicity DTS CD just sounds absolutely beautiful through these speakers. Sting "Ten summoner's tale" DTS CD again just unbelievable how the acoustic guitars seem to be being played in the room your sitting in. Stings voice seem to be honestly floating to your ears. Its not just pop music either, Metallica's black album DVD-audio which I can only play the DD version because I don't have a DVD-audio player sounds incredible too. The heaviness of the guitar work comes out, Kirk's solos really sound crisp and clean. Acoustic guitars on "The unforgiven" come through crisp and clear. I don't particularly like how it was mixed for 5.1 by Bob Rock but what is there sounds awesome. Classical music too sounds great, very lifelike.
So I am highly impressed, really thrilled with these speakers, this setup. I know Def Tech fudges with those numbers and I wish they wouldn't because there is no need to but what my ears hear is very good. I am very happy I went in this direction. All I have powering them is a Yamaha RX-V663 receiver from 2008, nothing fancy, I think 95 watts a channel and it all sounds nice. So that's my somewhat detailed unprofessional review.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's great. I'm glad you're enjoying your new upgrades. The SM65 is a legit speaker. I wouldn't be upset if I owned them at all. You definitely could have done worse. I'll bet it sounds great.

The PB1000 is a solid sub as well. Now we just need some pics!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
That's great. I'm glad you're enjoying your new upgrades. The SM65 is a legit speaker. I wouldn't be upset if I owned them at all. You definitely could have done worse. I'll bet it sounds great.

The PB1000 is a solid sub as well. Now we just need some pics!
Thanks, I am actually really happy with this system, very happy. Hey do you or anyone else know if I can get a Blu Ray player that always does DVD-audio through HDMI? Are there any around that don't cost an arm and a leg? I know it's a dead technology but I have like 10 DVD-audio discs and would love to hear the MLP version on these discs. The last time I had a DVD-AUDIO player it had the 5 connections on the back. I assume they eventually went through HDMI. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...I know Def Tech fudges with those numbers and I wish they wouldn't...
Those are dangerous words. The more time you spend on any forums and the more you hear those words being uttered, the louder those words become.

The salient thing is that your system sounds great to you and your family.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A LOT of speaker manufacturers fudge numbers. I wouldn't be so worried about the specs. I would be much more concerned about the measurements.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I hear you guys. I shouldn't even have included that part about fudging the numbers because I thought it might overshadow everything else I said. I know though that same Def Tech hater would chime in with "I can't trust them" because of those inflated frequency numbers. I thought I might nip that in the bud before they had a chance.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I hear you guys. I shouldn't even have included that part about fudging the numbers because I thought it might overshadow everything else I said. I know though that same Def Tech hater would chime in with "I can't trust them" because of those inflated frequency numbers. I thought I might nip that in the bud before they had a chance.

the +_ 3db is very important to ADTG, and others that I have read some of those posts lol ;) But what it comes down too is if it sounds good to you. Congrats on your speakers. GE does the same thing, but a good sounding speaker is a good sounding speaker

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
ADTG? What or who is that? That's for the post, I agree. Good sound is good sound and that's really all that matters.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
AcuDefTechGuy. Post #4. it's a handful to type out every time.

M

Muzykant

Audioholic
I like these speakers as well. I also find them natural sounding and not fatiguing. One of my systems consists of 5 SM-65 monitors (fronts, surrounds, center) powered by Emotiva XPA-5 amp with a pair of SB-13 Ultra subs. Another is a pair of SM-55 powered by Emotiva XPA-200 and SB-2000 sub for the lows. I've had these for years and haven't felt a strong urge to upgrade yet. However, I now also own SVS Prime towers, bookshelves and satellites and slightly prefer their overall sound.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Question for you guys. I have an older Parasound amp model 5125 that I think I'm gonna hook up to my Yamaha receiver and go to separates. You think overall this will be a good idea sound quality wise? I'm not looking to play louder or anything, just looking for a better overall sound quality. The Parasound amp I would think would be much more dynamic than the Yamaha amp in my receiver. Am I correct? The Parasound amp is THX ultra 2 certified. I think I'm gonna do this next week if it makes sense.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I like these speakers as well. I also find them natural sounding and not fatiguing. One of my systems consists of 5 SM-65 monitors (fronts, surrounds, center) powered by Emotiva XPA-5 amp with a pair of SB-13 Ultra subs. Another is a pair of SM-55 powered by Emotiva XPA-200 and SB-2000 sub for the lows. I've had these for years and haven't felt a strong urge to upgrade yet. However, I now also own SVS Prime towers, bookshelves and satellites and slightly prefer their overall sound.
Awesome setups! I have been kinda curious to hear the SVS ultra bookshelf speakers. I can't imagine it being a huge difference better but I'd like to hear them. I've also been just a bit curious about RSL speakers. I may buy a pair of the CG3 speakers for the bedroom and then start to build a smaller, less expensive system for the bedroom.
I absolutely adore these Def Techs though. They are pretty dam good man. I love the system, have no regrets.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I know Def Tech fudges with those numbers and I wish they wouldn't because there is no need to but what my ears hear is very good. I am very happy I went in this direction. All I have powering them is a Yamaha RX-V663 receiver from 2008, nothing fancy, I think 95 watts a channel and it all sounds nice. So that's my somewhat detailed unprofessional review.
I already knew that you liked your speakers.:) I like the SM 55 -- however I still favor and prefer the JBL Studio 530 over them and the Monitor Audio Silver speakers. The current Definitive Studio series sounds more refined over the former Definitive Studio series.

Definitive did pretty good with them and they have some nice bass --from HT labs Sound and Vision

The SM55’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.66/–3.07 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The –3dB point is at 44 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 40 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 4.67 ohms at 207 Hz and a phase angle of –38.83 degrees at 136 Hz.

SM65: 43 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.5 dB

More info on the 65 and even the 45
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/test-report-definitive-technology-studiomonitor-sm65-and-sm45-speakers-supercube-8000-1#scljqukGbZvKaamh.97

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, I am actually really happy with this system, very happy. Hey do you or anyone else know if I can get a Blu Ray player that always does DVD-audio through HDMI? Are there any around that don't cost an arm and a leg? I know it's a dead technology but I have like 10 DVD-audio discs and would love to hear the MLP version on these discs. The last time I had a DVD-AUDIO player it had the 5 connections on the back. I assume they eventually went through HDMI. Thanks for any help.
I am not sure about the HDMI part -- however this Yamaha will do DVD-audio
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-BD-A1040-SACD-3D-Blu-ray-Player-with-32bit-192kHz-DAC-BDA1040-450-List-/132141248221?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Awesome setups! I have been kinda curious to hear the SVS ultra bookshelf speakers. I can't imagine it being a huge difference better but I'd like to hear them. I've also been just a bit curious about RSL speakers. I may buy a pair of the CG3 speakers for the bedroom and then start to build a smaller, less expensive system for the bedroom.
I absolutely adore these Def Techs though. They are pretty dam good man. I love the system, have no regrets.

I had the SM55's and the Ultras are a healthy step up from them. I've never heard the 65's on my system to compare, but I'd love to. I've heard them in a Magnolia room and they sounded very nice. It's really hard to judge a speaker in a demo room like that though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I already knew that you liked your speakers.:) I like the SM 55 -- however I still favor and prefer the JBL Studio 530 over them and the Monitor Audio Silver speakers. The current Definitive Studio series sounds more refined over the former Definitive Studio series.

Definitive did pretty good with them and they have some nice bass --from HT labs Sound and Vision

The SM55’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.66/–3.07 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The –3dB point is at 44 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 40 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 4.67 ohms at 207 Hz and a phase angle of –38.83 degrees at 136 Hz.

SM65: 43 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.5 dB

More info on the 65 and even the 45
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/test-report-definitive-technology-studiomonitor-sm65-and-sm45-speakers-supercube-8000-1#scljqukGbZvKaamh.97
I looked all over for 3rd party measurements when I had the 55's. My son has them now. Thanks for the link.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I had the SM55's and the Ultras are a healthy step up from them. I've never heard the 65's on my system to compare, but I'd love to. I've heard them in a Magnolia room and they sounded very nice. It's really hard to judge a speaker in a demo room like that though.
Yeah tough to really judge anything in that environment. Best place to audition is your house that's why I buy online and see.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The other thing I would say is The Ultra bookshelf may be a healthy step up from the SM 55's but they should be up against the SM 65's, right? Not saying it wouldn't still beat them out, but that should be the competition, top of the line of both bookshelf speakers. I could always order a pair and send back for free but I'm afraid to do that. If they are by far better I don't want to start to rebuild my system again. I don't have the money for that. In this case ignorance is bliss. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The other thing I would say is The Ultra bookshelf may be a healthy step up from the SM 55's but they should be up against the SM 65's, right? Not saying it wouldn't still beat them out, but that should be the competition, top of the line of both bookshelf speakers. I could always order a pair and send back for free but I'm afraid to do that. If they are by far better I don't want to start to rebuild my system again. I don't have the money for that. In this case ignorance is bliss. ;)
The 65's are a closer match for sure. I believe it would come down to personal preference in that case.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis