Review of Monoprice's new $360/pair Encore B6 Bookshelf Speaker

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Link to my full writeup and data are here:

A sample of the review is provided below but I encourage you to look at the rest of the data in the link above to get the full story.

1639198650693.png

1639198659862.png

1639198668573.png

And my conclusion/notes:
  • The bass is pretty darn nice. In my case, the speakers were away from the walls about 3 feet and while there wasn’t a lot of low bass, the midbass had a nice ‘attack’ to it. I attribute some of this to the mild bump at 100Hz but also to the extended port tuning that puts the F3 point at about 68Hz with an F10 at about 37Hz. Placement near a wall will help this but since you have a port here, you’ll need to be careful. It might be worth you taking the time to try stuffing a rag in the port and putting the speaker a bit closer to the wall (say, like you might a surround speaker in a home theater) and see if you like the response.
  • While the distortion profile is respectable, high output listening or home theater I still recommend treating these as you would a similar sized bookshelf speaker by crossing them over to a subwoofer. The typical electrical filter on AVRs of 80Hz would be a reasonable place to start here.
  • Listening on-axis is not recommended here. I recommend turning the speakers off-axis. How much is up to you but I think 10° is sufficient. The reason for this is to tame some of the on-axis peak/dip caused by the waveguide/baffle symmetry. Though, to be honest, a lot of the peaks/dips in the high frequency area aren’t as troubling as the data might indicate. Hearing these kinds of things is something that should be tested blindly but simply from the perspective of knowing it’s going to be there; it might be prudent to at least play with this aiming.
  • I use my music app and applied a single band of EQ at 4kHz (-3dB, Q = 3) and found the speaker to be much more pleasant. When toggling the EQ on/off it was pretty evident that the 3-4kHz peak shown in the Estimated In-Room response was causing a bit of ‘edge’ that I wasn’t fond of.
  • Vertical positioning should be between the waveguide and midwoofer, though, interestingly, the data indicates that the response is rather neutral at +30° (but not so much at +10° or +20°.)
  • Horizontal radiation in my listening session was nice. Not super wide, but it seemed to be reasonably even in the room with respect to the on-axis response vs what was reflected and how that impacts the overall timbre of the sound. Though, as expected, the waveguide does narrow the response in the higher frequencies, it isn’t extreme and yields a horizontal radiation pattern of about ±50° from 800Hz to 10kHz. The radiation is about ±75° from 300Hz to 800Hz and below this it is going omnidirectional.
While the data isn’t perfect, the attributes of this speaker relative to its price make it an option worth considering. From sound quality to looks, it’s a little of everything at a relatively low price. You get nice response and you get a nice looking speaker with the typical black veneer on the sides but the added gloss top and bottom that take it from a “plain” speaker to one that might fool your friends and/or significant other … heck, maybe even yourself, into thinking you spent a couple hundred bucks more than you did.

- Erin

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
what about that sharp drop from 7 to 10khz? is it not audible?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Link to my full writeup and data are here:

A sample of the review is provided below but I encourage you to look at the rest of the data in the link above to get the full story.

View attachment 3207854

View attachment 3207857

View attachment 3207856

And my conclusion/notes:
  • The bass is pretty darn nice. In my case, the speakers were away from the walls about 3 feet and while there wasn’t a lot of low bass, the midbass had a nice ‘attack’ to it. I attribute some of this to the mild bump at 100Hz but also to the extended port tuning that puts the F3 point at about 68Hz with an F10 at about 37Hz. Placement near a wall will help this but since you have a port here, you’ll need to be careful. It might be worth you taking the time to try stuffing a rag in the port and putting the speaker a bit closer to the wall (say, like you might a surround speaker in a home theater) and see if you like the response.
  • While the distortion profile is respectable, high output listening or home theater I still recommend treating these as you would a similar sized bookshelf speaker by crossing them over to a subwoofer. The typical electrical filter on AVRs of 80Hz would be a reasonable place to start here.
  • Listening on-axis is not recommended here. I recommend turning the speakers off-axis. How much is up to you but I think 10° is sufficient. The reason for this is to tame some of the on-axis peak/dip caused by the waveguide/baffle symmetry. Though, to be honest, a lot of the peaks/dips in the high frequency area aren’t as troubling as the data might indicate. Hearing these kinds of things is something that should be tested blindly but simply from the perspective of knowing it’s going to be there; it might be prudent to at least play with this aiming.
  • I use my music app and applied a single band of EQ at 4kHz (-3dB, Q = 3) and found the speaker to be much more pleasant. When toggling the EQ on/off it was pretty evident that the 3-4kHz peak shown in the Estimated In-Room response was causing a bit of ‘edge’ that I wasn’t fond of.
  • Vertical positioning should be between the waveguide and midwoofer, though, interestingly, the data indicates that the response is rather neutral at +30° (but not so much at +10° or +20°.)
  • Horizontal radiation in my listening session was nice. Not super wide, but it seemed to be reasonably even in the room with respect to the on-axis response vs what was reflected and how that impacts the overall timbre of the sound. Though, as expected, the waveguide does narrow the response in the higher frequencies, it isn’t extreme and yields a horizontal radiation pattern of about ±50° from 800Hz to 10kHz. The radiation is about ±75° from 300Hz to 800Hz and below this it is going omnidirectional.
While the data isn’t perfect, the attributes of this speaker relative to its price make it an option worth considering. From sound quality to looks, it’s a little of everything at a relatively low price. You get nice response and you get a nice looking speaker with the typical black veneer on the sides but the added gloss top and bottom that take it from a “plain” speaker to one that might fool your friends and/or significant other … heck, maybe even yourself, into thinking you spent a couple hundred bucks more than you did.

- Erin
Great review!!!! For the price I'm not unhappy with those measurements at all. You need a good starter system for you or someone else I think these would do nicely can't wait to see your measurements of the towers!

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
That's where I landed with them. I think it's a complete package that has simply made various compromises to keep the cost low.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@ErinH
I don't recall seeing it in your review, but is there any input on what is causing that deep suckout at 10K, on axis?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@ErinH
I don't recall seeing it in your review, but is there any input on what is causing that deep suckout at 10K, on axis?
It's deep but with a little bit of smoothing I'll bet it's not as bad. Likely still audible but maybe not too egregiously so.

Aesthetically I think they look pretty nice for the price.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's deep but with a little bit of smoothing I'll bet it's not as bad. Likely still audible but maybe not too egregiously so.

Aesthetically I think they look pretty nice for the price.
The estimated in-room response doesn't show it so much... Mostly just asking from an academic standpoint. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@ErinH
Maybe that is a waveguide diffraction null, maybe similar to how a parabolic dish can focus energy at a single point. I would bet you would see similar phenomena with spherical waveguides like in the Encores.
Definitely not audible in any practical circumstance.

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
@ErinH
It's A wave guide cancellation mode (gotta love wave guides). It gradually goes away off axis, and is pretty much gone by 30 degrees:
1639194094147.png

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis