Revel Performa 3 series: Drivers + a look at the Listening lab!!

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I saw these at CES, nice cabinets and they sounded pretty good as well. :D
I'd love to hear them! Hopefully my Revel dealer will get a pair of the more expensive towers! :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I'd love to hear them! Hopefully my Revel dealer will get a pair of the more expensive towers! :D
I wish I had a dealer close by, the closet to me that would even carry the Performa series in SC is KNOXVILLE, TN and then depending on when I'm back in central Fla is Daytona

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Harri009 got this F208 FR from Revel, so I thought I'd pass it along:

I believe MarkG = Mark Glazer, the chief designer of the Revel speakers.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Not digging the tweeter level. I don't know whether to call it a dip between 2-8khz, or a peak from 10-20khz, but either way the tweeter level is a bit higher than I'd like compared to the rest of the spectrum....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not digging the tweeter level. I don't know whether to call it a dip between 2-8khz, or a peak from 10-20khz, but either way the tweeter level is a bit higher than I'd like compared to the rest of the spectrum....
It looks like +/-1dB on-axis from 60Hz-10kHz to me. From 10kHz-20kHz it's probably +2dB, but still good.

We'll need to see some more measurements from Stereophile, HTM, and NRC.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
It looks like +/-1dB on-axis from 60Hz-10kHz to me. From 10kHz-20kHz it's probably +2dB, but still good.

We'll need to see some more measurements from Stereophile, HTM, and NRC.
The SPL deviation throughout most of the spectrum is great, but the entire tweeter level from 10khz up is louder than the majority of the spectrum...especially compared to where we are most sensitive. I'm not sure why they don't pad the tweeter down a little more. Perhaps power response?

I had a friend listen to the F208 and he wasn't thrilled with the treble. This could be why. It doesn't quite prove it, but there is a strong correlation, a causation rather, between exaggerated treble and listening fatigue. I'd like to see more! Unfortunately, I no longer have a Revel dealer.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I suspect that's a deliberate design decision--frequencies that high fall off very rapidly off axis, and most of us (over the age of college brats) could use a little help up there. That mild elevation won't color the sound in any way. Only the very highest overtones have any energy in that region. If a speaker sounds bright, it's almost certainly because there are problems lower down.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I suspect that's a deliberate design decision--frequencies that high fall off very rapidly off axis, and most of us (over the age of college brats) could use a little help up there. That mild elevation won't color the sound in any way. Only the very highest overtones have any energy in that region. If a speaker sounds bright, it's almost certainly because there are problems lower down.
You might be right, because the Salon 2 has a somewhat similar little bump. I have the tweeter level control on my pair set to -0.5, which I find the most realistic on cymbals and violins. Perhaps on the Salon 2 the -0.5 setting might really be "flat", and the 0 setting is actually juicing the last octave or so a bit.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The SPL deviation throughout most of the spectrum is great, but the entire tweeter level from 10khz up is louder than the majority of the spectrum...especially compared to where we are most sensitive. I'm not sure why they don't pad the tweeter down a little more. Perhaps power response?

I had a friend listen to the F208 and he wasn't thrilled with the treble. This could be why. It doesn't quite prove it, but there is a strong correlation, a causation rather, between exaggerated treble and listening fatigue. I'd like to see more! Unfortunately, I no longer have a Revel dealer.
For a lot of people I think they will still sound on the warm side most of the time due to the lack of contents above 8 kHz. I found the older F32 smooth sounding but preferred the R900 in the end for better (opinion) transparancy, looking at the graphs though the F208 would probably sound brighter than its predecessor. The F32 has smaller woofers but seems to have better low bass response.

Last edited:
N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
I mostly use a -.5 on my M20 and F32 but a +.5 on my F30! The F32s are in a room with hardwood floors and windows, so I need an occasional switch to -1. OTOH, I will switch the M20s to 0 for some recordings, for that delectable juicing of the last octave.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis