Request for pro amp reviews

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Slip, I used the cheater on the Crown plugged into my Tripp Lite HT10 and all is dead silent quiet even with gain on the amp at 100%. Is this what you're talking about, and if so I can't use this with the Tripp lite right?
TRC 90033 Shockshield White Portable GFCI Plug with Surge Protection - Amazon.com
Thanks Jeff
I was referring to something like what you linked to on amazon. You should be able to use that with the Tripp lite, I think. I don't see that it would be any different than plugging the tripp lite into an outlet in the kitchen where GFCI is required. I'm not claiming to be an expert on this, but I think it should work. The GFCI just makes me feel a little safer after defeating the ground.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was referring to something like what you linked to on amazon. You should be able to use that with the Tripp lite, I think. I don't see that it would be any different than plugging the tripp lite into an outlet in the kitchen where GFCI is required. I'm not claiming to be an expert on this, but I think it should work. The GFCI just makes me feel a little safer after defeating the ground.
Slipp, are these portable GFCI's considered surge protectors, I don't like the idea of plugging in two surge protection devices in the chain, if you a have a link to something you're talking about I would appreciate that. Can I plug one of these directly into my Tripp Lite unit? Thanks :eek:
Jeff

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Slipp, are these portable GFCI's considered surge protectors, I don't like the idea of plugging in two surge protection devices in the chain, if you a have a link to something you're talking about I would appreciate that. Can I plug one of these directly into my Tripp Lite unit? Thanks :eek:
Jeff
It's not a surge protector, it is a "shock protector", as in keeping you from getting fried if an internal wire accidentally touches the chassis, then you touch the chassis.

You could plug your tripp lite into the GFCI. GFCI plugs into wall. Like the amazon link you posted, or here is one for power tools that should do the trick.

2 ft. In-Line GFCI Triple Tap Cord Manual Reset-30338024-08 at The Home Depot

But, if you are comfortable defeating the safety of the ground, then don't even bother. A GFCI compares the current on the 2 prongs and flips a breaker if they don't match, a "ground fault" condition.

The point is, the ground is there as a safety device, if I defeat the ground (safety), then I am more comfortable by also using a GFCI. On the other hand, grounding on household receptacles only came around in the 1970s, so maybe 100years of household electricity before that law went into effect.

Some interesting info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey Slip, I used the cheater on the Crown plugged into my Tripp Lite HT10 and all is dead silent quiet even with gain on the amp at 100%. Is this what you're talking about, and if so I can't use this with the Tripp lite right?
TRC 90033 Shockshield White Portable GFCI Plug with Surge Protection - Amazon.com
Thanks Jeff
I knew it. :D

Dang ground hum!

I'm thinking plug the portable GFCI into the wall outlet first. Then plug the Tripp Lite into the GFCI. Then plug the Crown amp into the Tripp Lite.

This is what I ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/Tower-Manufacturing-30339005-3-Wire-Adapter/dp/B000P8COIS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_3

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Dang ground hum!

I'm thinking plug the portable GFCI into the wall outlet first. Then plug the Tripp Lite into the GFCI. Then plug the Crown amp into the Tripp Lite.

This is what I ordered:
Tower Manufacturing 30339005 15 amp 3-Wire GFCI Outlet Adapter: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
FWIW, I purchased an outboard amp that I had planned to put into my living room HT system. Wouldn't you know it, pesky ground loop :mad:

I hooked it up with the GFCI for a while, but it just added to my already cluttered wires, and that amp was a beast, bigger than my elite receiver.

I eventually decided I just wasn't satisfied with that setup, so I ended up taking the outboard amp off and purchasing a pre-amp and a 2nd set of speakers for a 2nd system :D

In my other room, my outboard amp is dead-silent, no cheater required :D

Turned into a win/win situation.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Dang ground hum!

This is what I ordered:
Tower Manufacturing 30339005 15 amp 3-Wire GFCI Outlet Adapter: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
ADTG, it was immediately obvious my friend. That's what I'm going to do, just ordered it, thanks buddy:D In the mean time I just have the amp unplugged until I use it. I tried the amp at 80 and 100%, no diffrence to me except I had to bump the levels up a couple dB's with the 80 setting, with the cheater I heard absolutely no hiss no hum dead quiet :D Thanks

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
For the record, any of the mentioned items about using cheaters is not recommended. That is always viewed as "an unsafe practice" by the NEC. It is defeating a safety device and that is generally not a good idea.

I'm just saying that I have done it before, and I felt a little more comfortable by using the GFCI too.

ahblaza

ahblaza

FWIW, I purchased an outboard amp that I had planned to put into my living room HT system. Wouldn't you know it, pesky ground loop :mad:

I hooked it up with the GFCI for a while, but it just added to my already cluttered wires, and that amp was a beast, bigger than my elite receiver.

I eventually decided I just wasn't satisfied with that setup, so I ended up taking the outboard amp off and purchasing a pre-amp and a 2nd set of speakers for a 2nd system :D

In my other room, my outboard amp is dead-silent, no cheater required :D

Turned into a win/win situation.
I don't have that luxury like you and that other speakermaniac:eek: of other rooms for multiple setups, hopefully soon though :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I don't have that luxury like you and that other speakermaniac:eek: of other rooms for multiple setups, hopefully soon though :D
Well, I have the living room. Then I have my "work area" :D

ahblaza

ahblaza

For the record, any of the mentioned items about using cheaters is not recommended. That is always viewed as "an unsafe practice" by the NEC. It is defeating a safety device and that is generally not a good idea.

I'm just saying that I have done it before, and I felt a little more comfortable by using the GFCI too.
Slipp, I want to personally thank you for bringing up the subject about safety issues and the fact that you feel more comfortable using the GFCI devices, I ordered the portable one, but just found a couple new GFCI devices among my collection of wall receptacles which I will install permanently in critical areas. Thanks my friend ;)
Jeff

jinjuku

jinjuku

Really good Crown video on it's DriveCore technology.

Interesting to hear them talk about the quality of audio. The engineers are really talking about SQ over all. Love how the one guy is wearing a Mark Levinson Polo but talking about the quality of sound on the Crown side of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Pro vs consumer amp comparo

The other day, I realized I could do a decent job of A/B'ing between amps, so I set my system up as follows:

CD out via "Y" into two Marantz SR6001's (we'll call them 6001c for the consumer amp and 6001p for the pro amp).

The pre-out L&R of the 6001c feed an Aragon 2007. This amp is not of the same generation that would double down into 4ohms, but it is a 7 channel amp which allows power supply and capacitance to go to whichever of the seven channels need it. When used as a stereo amp (as I was) it is undoubtedly a stout amp!
Indy Audio Labs - Aragon 2007

The pre-out L&R of the 6001p feed a Yamaha P7000S. At 750X2 into 8 ohms, this was kind of insane wattage for my bedroom!
P-S Series | Power Amps | Products | Yamaha

For left speakers I used my Paradigm S-2's locating them side by side as closely as I could without them actually touching.
For right speakers I did the same using my Salk SongTowers with LCY ribbon tweeters.
The Aragon fed the left-most of each pair of speakers and the Yamaha fed the right-most.

Since the two receivers are the exact same model, I can use one remote to control the mute of both receivers. Once I've muted one of the receivers, I can then A-B switch between them every time I hit the mute button.
I level matched the two receivers and started listening to music. I play in a big jazz band, so started by playing some Ed Palermo Big Band (which is very well recorded).
I was shocked!
There was indeed a difference in the sound. The Yamaha clearly sounded better. I don't want to exaggerate this - I really don't think I would come close to noticing the difference if I had to take the time to adjust the volume between the two, but being able to switch instantly back and forth makes it easy to confirm any differences.
I was shocked because I always believed their would be no audible difference.
To be thorough, I decided to turn up the 6001c/Aragon by 1dB. The resolution of the receivers is indicated as 1 dB, so assuming I level matched them optimally, they could still be off by as much as 1/2dB, which might be the source of the difference in perceived sound.
Adjusting the volume only further reinforced my impressions! Now I heard the Aragon as louder, but the Yamaha still sounded better!
I thought about it some more and switched the banana plugs between the speakers so the Aragon fed the right-most speakers. Aha! There it was, flip-flop. I was now hearing the superior sound characteristic I had attributed to the Yamaha from the Aragon!

So, in conclusion, there may be a difference in the sound of these two amps, but it is dwarfed by the difference caused by speaker location.
Beyond that, I cannot say anything about the difference between these two amps.
I am really looking forward to Gene's evaluation of pro vs consumer amps!:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would think one day Crown will make all the amps for Lexicon, Mark Levinson, & JBL, but only when their spec can match ATI.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I would think one day Crown will make all the amps for Lexicon, Mark Levinson, & JBL, but only when their spec can match ATI.
I think that the Levinson amplifier sales volumes are so low that Harman went outside for the low end of the product line because there was an insufficient business case for doing in-house manufacturing. In the case of Lexicon the amps have always just been also-rans to the processor product lines, probably just to take advantage of the higher margins enabled by the premium brand name.

As I noted before, the high end Levinson products are still full-custom. It's only the low-end amp products that appear to be ATI designs.

S

SubSolar

Enthusiast
How come the Yamaha P-S series isn't that popular for HT use compared to say Crown? Can't seem to find a thread anywhere. Seems like a pretty good price for what you get, $750 for 750 watts x 2 for the P7000S. Looking for something to power a pair of Martin Logan Theos.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
How come the Yamaha P-S series isn't that popular for HT use compared to say Crown? Can't seem to find a thread anywhere. Seems like a pretty good price for what you get, $750 for 750 watts x 2 for the P7000S. Looking for something to power a pair of Martin Logan Theos.
Look further back into the archives. The Yamaha P series got talked about a lot several years back, and quite highly at that. Supposedly very quiet - no fan noise unless really pushed. I'd be comfortable using one or a Crown XLS Drivecore for my mains (though I don't need the extra power).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis