E

EddieG

Audioholic
I found this on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/MORDAUNT-SHORT-MS302-Premier-2-way-MAPLE-pair-as-is_W0QQitemZ130277484584QQihZ003QQcategoryZ3276QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How hard is it to replace drivers in a speaker? Can I get away with inexpensive drivers and still have a good sounding speaker? These would be used as surrounds for watching movies.

Can someone provide me a link where I can get drivers, as I know nothing about this? How about ebay for woofers? What are the top few brands I should stick with?

Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I found this on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/MORDAUNT-SHORT-MS302-Premier-2-way-MAPLE-pair-as-is_W0QQitemZ130277484584QQihZ003QQcategoryZ3276QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How hard is it to replace drivers in a speaker? Can I get away with inexpensive drivers and still have a good sounding speaker? These would be used as surrounds for watching movies.

Can someone provide me a link where I can get drivers, as I know nothing about this? How about ebay for woofers? What are the top few brands I should stick with?

Thanks!
No you can't change the speakers. You need the exactly the same drivers to replace them with. The box is tuned to a specific driver, and the crossover is customized to the drivers. If you carry out your plan it will sound worse than a boom box.

E

EddieG

Audioholic
No you can't change the speakers. You need the exactly the same drivers to replace them with. The box is tuned to a specific driver, and the crossover is customized to the drivers. If you carry out your plan it will sound worse than a boom box.
Can I replace the drivers with any MS drivers, or do they have to be specific for the speaker box?

And where can I find the correct drivers? I did a google search and came up empty.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Can I replace the drivers with any MS drivers, or do they have to be specific for the speaker box?

And where can I find the correct drivers? I did a google search and came up empty.
They have to be the drivers for that specific speaker. MS do not supply the OEM market. You will have to contact MS and see what it would cost for them to sell and ship you replacement drivers. The importer might be able to assist you also.

If two speakers are blown, then those speakers were either over driven, or more likely blown by an amp failing and sending huge DC offset to the speakers. If that is the case, then the trouble might not end with the drivers. This project could easily turn into a money pit. Carefully cost this project against buying those speakers new. They are good speakers by the way.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I'm gonna take some flack for this one...........BUT..........I did just what you were discussing. I garbage picked a pair of Infinity bookshelfs with rotted woofers....bought some nht woofers on ebay for $25 delivered, installed them in the speakers, and they are now in my garage running off a 30 year old receiver.....they sound fine. I have done this half a dozen times in the past 25 years with no ill results. Would I do this in my big Canton tower speakers? Or even the surrounds on my main rig.......Of course not.
So, if this is a budget thing, you CAN replace the speaks with just about anything. If you want the speakers to sound like they are supposed to, and if this is a serious
rebuild, get the right speakers and be done with it.
Here are those speakers for sale new for $225, so I guess by the time you buy those on ebay, get the new speakers from Mordaunt Short, install them.......you will have saved some money, but also spent a fair amount of time and shipping expense. Plus, you won't have a warranty..........

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis