Replacement for Onkyo 707

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
Hey everyone,

I've been having issues with my Onkyo 707 and am now looking for a replacement. The Denon 4311 looks nice but I'd like some second opinions.

For the past several months, my 707 will randomly lose video while watching (TV, blu-ray, Xbox-source doesn't matter). The sound still plays and the TV shows the "no source connected" message. Changing HDMI cables and inputs on the TV didn't help; power cycling will occasionally help but usually I just have to wait. My conclusion was the HDMI board is going bad but I wanted to try a processor reset first. Well, I did that today and when I was re-measuring the sub response I found that the receiver is mis-applying the LPF to the subwoofer signal. What I get is a knee around 60 Hz but a slope that changes when I adjust the crossover frequency in the settings. I'm not sure if this is new (not likely, as I've been trying to solve a subjective lack of upper bass for a couple years), but either way I've had it with this POS.

Here's my current equipment
-Emotiva UPA-5 amp
-Usher UA-721 fronts, Paradigm Monitor surrounds and rears
-2 DIY Kappa Perfect subs driven by a Behringer amp with on-board EQ
-Panasonic VT50 plasma
-Denon DBP-1611, Roku, DirecTV and Xbox 360
-URC MX-450 with base station and RF lighting
-Belkin power center (for turning off sub amp)
-DIY and GIK acoustic treatments

Here's what I need in a new receiver
-Preouts: XLR sub outs would be nice but not required
-2 HDMI outputs: I'd like to add a projector in the future, mirrored is fine
-1 or more 12V trigger for my amps
-IR flasher input
-Room Correction: I'm leaning toward Audyssey XT32 for the dual sub setup, everything else is pretty much a wash
-At least 7 channels, preferably 9+. Assignability is desirable but not required. I have the external amp channels for the receivers that need them to expand past 7
-At least 5 HDMI inputs

Stuff I don't care about
-Video processing: the VT50 makes it superfluous
-Network features: Airplay would be OK but the rest of it does nothing for me. That's why I have the Roku.
-Multi-zone: won't really be used, besides the 2nd HDMI output for the future projector
-IP/RS232/bluetooth: probably won't be used
-3D/4k: not impressed by either really

Budget: $1300 max (retail price of Denon x4000). I'm ok with refurbs if they come from a reputable place like Accessories4less.

From my looking, the top choice is the Denon 4311. It's $1000 at accessories4less right now. The price and build are better than the x4000, and the extras (4K, DTS neo:X, networking) aren't on my priority list.

I happen to have some extra amps so a pre-pro could actually work for me. The Sherbourn PT-7030 looks interesting, but pre-pros are an area where my familiarity is lacking.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Do you still have the sales receipt for the 707? If you do Onkyo will repair it for FREE.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
I do have the receipt but unfortunately it is a refurb from accessories4less and only had a 1 year warranty.

Unless there is something specific to this model that I am not aware of...

B

Benbo

Enthusiast
afterlife2, I purchased a 706 (new) from ac4less which failed last week after 2years 10 months. I did not have the extended warranty. I have never had a component repaired and am wondering if you have used a repair service(possibly Onkyo) and if the 706 is worth investing in. I am having a problem with the receiver recognizing any signal input thru HDMI ports . Thanks for any help or advice.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
Not yet. Sent an email but no response yet. I'm going try again after the weekend.

B

Benbo

Enthusiast
Benbo here, I contacted the repair center and was advised that the 706 was beyond(aged out) its repair life, no parts available. Unfortunately I also had begun to have problems with my 809 and inquired as to cost of repair if there was HDMI failure. Guestimate was between $300. and $400, I searched and searched and found my online receipt and was under warranty. It cost me $62.00 (including insurance) to ship it out via UPS. I await it being repaired and returned. I have other receivers in the reading and bedrooms but I am considering(strongly) ordering a receiver for use( in the family room) while the 809 is being repaired. I looked at the 626 and 717. Can someone give me a push in the direction that I should go as far as a temporary replacement is concerned. I will regulate it as a spare/backup upon return of the 809

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
After all that I wouldn't buy another Onkyo. I have an 809 too. Got a good price on it. If it breaks I'll get it repaired under warranty, but if not then to the trashcan it goes. I'd get a cheap pioneer. I think you'll be surprised at how good they are. I got a 521-k for $140 and it is pretty great. I don't use it after getting the 809, but I'll find a use for it.

B

Benbo

Enthusiast
replacement of Onkyo 707

Still waiting on the return of my Onkyo 809 from the repair center. I have been shopping and have narrowed my choices, I think to an Onkyo 818 or Yamaha RX-A1020 . What I need is a shove in one direction or the other. I can pick up the Yamaha (new) for $799. The 818 has a little more power and is wire-less connectable where as the Yamaha is not. I have the wife's approval to push the button so,, HELP!!! Benbo

B

Benbo

Enthusiast
I have the Yamaha RX-A1020 on order, expecting it by Monday, end of day. Upon return of my Onkyo 809 from repair I will make a comparison and see "who rules the house".

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats. You really won't hear a difference, only If you change your speakers. Did you call the repair center to find out when you'll get it?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I beg to differ. Those units use very different room correction so will sound different.

B

Benbo

Enthusiast
Benbo here again. Called service center on the Onkyo 809. The technician" just got to my receiver today. HDMI board bad, they must order one which will take a week. Will take 6 to 10 days to repair unit (once part is received) and ship it to me." I have received the Yamaha 1020 so I guess I will install it while waiting for the 809 to arrive. I will see how it drives my Klipsch and NHTs. I know that sounds like a strange mixture, efficient Klipsch and power hungry NHTs but hey, it works for me.

B

Benbo

Enthusiast
Afterlife2, the website directed me to send it to New Jersey, hence that $60. shipping charge. I still haven't installed the Yamaha 1020 yet. I was sort of waiting for the 809 to return and was going to set it up and see if and how it held up. I really don't feel like dragging that entertainment shelving out, switching out the Yamaha, putting in the 809 , and then switching out the 809 for the 1020 , no way! I hope that was not confusing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis