Replacement for Kenwood VR-407

S

skyguy04

Audiophyte
All,
I have a Kenwood VR-407 that I have enjoyed for many years. Based on many hours of searching this and other forums, I think the capacitors are going on it. I'm getting a "thumping" sound that is only coming from the receiver and no other sources.

Anyhow, it's time to replace it. I've been really looking closely at the Yamaha RX-V series, but i'm not sure which one to go with. For example, the lowest model (375) claims:

100 W per channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 1 ch driven)
70 W per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09% THD, 2 ch driven)

I'm also not sure i can afford what i need to match my speakers, so i'm open to other manufacturers if they would give me more for my money. My speakers are all Kenwood 100Watt 8 ohm.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Also, any July 4th deals?

Thanks!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you don't mind a factory refurbished, factory guaranteed rceiver, Virtually any receiver from Accessories4less will easily match or improve upon the receiver you're replacing, and be available at an unbeatable price.

S

skyguy04

Audiophyte
Wow, unbelievable deals, and i'm more comfortable ordering from them knowing others can vouch for them. Do i need constant 100 watt rms for my speakers? Do you have any recommendations? If possible i'd like to have audio streaming and volume control from the iphone.

S

skyguy04

Audiophyte
I've been looking at this receiver. Could anyone give me some feedback on if this would meet my needs (100 watt/8ohm Kenwood speakers)? Or should i find something that is 100 watt x 5 RMS?

Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Ch THX Certified Network A/V Receiver

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Don't worry about the power output. You aren't likely to use anywhere near full power with any of them. Choose the features you want and will use and then find the unit that delivers that. As an example, if you are going to put up a 5.1 speaker arrangement, there isn't any point in buying a 7.2 channel receiver unless it has some feature you want.

S

skyguy04

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply! I've been thinking 7.1 might actually be nice in my odd layout living room. I already have at least one speaker in the wall in addition to my other 5.

The other thing I like about this receiver is that it is multi-zone. My house has speakers in every room. I was thinking I might be able to run a zone up to an amp at my connection panel. Would this work, or am I confusing multi-zone with something else?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The things that I recommend that you look at when shopping are: connections (does it have everything that you want/need), auto calibration (a huge plus, IMO), features (can it do everything that you want), power (can it play as loud as you want and still sound good), ease of use, and the remote control. Price, of course, also weighs into it - I never want to spend more than I have to in order to get what I want, but I don't want to spend less and then be unhappy for years because I bought something that doesn't do what I want.

My last two receivers have been Pioneers, and I'm happy with Pioneer's MCACC auto calibration system. I recently got the chance to try out Audyssey on the Denon AVR-E400, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Marantz NR1504 receivers. Audyssey does at least as good of a job as MCACC, but the limitation is that you can only store one configuration for it (MCACC lets you stores up to six different configurations for six different listening positions). Because I have two listening positions that are significantly different in terms of where they are located in relation to the speakers, MCACC is a better fit for me.

I'd suggest also checking out the Pioneer VSX-1123 (I've seen it as low as $430 on sale at Newegg), and last year's Pioneer SC-1222 (which was $480 last weekend on Newegg), as you do your shopping. For this year's crop, the VSX-1123 offers very similar power ratings (90W/channel) as others in its price class and has the same or better connectivity. For Audyssey receivers, the Onkyo 626 offers the most features and connections for the money (that I've seen), but Onkyo has taken a hit in reputation due to reliability concerns in the past few years - however, they did add a fan to the 626 which should help reduce overheating issues. The Denon AVR-E400 is a solid unit, but I don't think it's a great value compared to others out there, including other Denons.

S

skyguy04

Audiophyte
Thanks for the great suggestions Adam! I would have never known that Audyssey didn't support multiple position settings. I would probably want at least 2. I'll check out the Pioneer. I have also read some discouraging reviews re: Onkyo's reliability/overheating. Hopefully they've fixed that, but i can't afford their new stuff with the features i want.

Thanks again!

S

skyguy04

Audiophyte
OK, I've given this some more thought, and I'm considering all of the AV equipment in my house. I'm thinking that it might be best to let each purpose be it's own set of equipment. This way a movie can be going in the theater, different music being played throughout the house, and TV watching in the living room. However, i'm open to any suggestions and feedback. Below are my room configs and my proposed upgrades. I would love some feedback before i go spending money.

Current configuration:

Living Room:
  • Gigabit networked HTPC as single source for all audio and video (no gaming done here)
  • 40" LCD HD TV (no 3d, yet)
  • Kenwood VR-407 (capacitors died the other night. Needs replacing)
  • 5 Kenwood 100w 8ohm speakers + Sub

Theater/Gaming Room
  • Gaming PC as single source for all audio and video
  • Optoma HD20 Projector
  • 100" Screen
  • Logitech Z5500 surround sound as audio receiver, using 2 in-wall speakers + 2 logitech speakers + logitech sub

Whole Home Audio
  • 8 rooms with 2 speakers in each (none powered). Volume control knobs in each room
  • Currently no way to use any of these because the previous owner of the house took his amp with him. Doh!

Proposed upgrades

Living Room
  • New receiver with the following criteria
    • 7.1 channels (will probably just use 5.1, but good to know i can go 7.1 if i want to)
    • As close to 100w/channel as possible
    • 4+ HDMI ports (1.4+ for 3D)
    • 4k ready
    • At least 1 x Component In
    • At least 1 x Optical In
    • At least 1 x Digital Coax In
    • Prefer posts over springs
    • Decode all latest Bluray audio

Theater/Gaming Room
No upgrades

Whole Home Audio
  • Amp that will support at least 9 rooms, probably 10 (i'm going to add speakers to the kitchen)
  • Possibly multiple zones
  • Some type of box to connect to my network and pull music from storage, stream internet music, and probably airplay

As you can see, i probably don't need the type of receiver i was looking for, for the living room. I don't need networking, airplay, etc. because it can all come from the HTPC. It's more important to get good quality audio and reliability (don't want to replace this thing for at least 10 years).

Please give me some suggestions on the above equipment. Thanks!

S

skyguy04

Audiophyte
Ok, it looks like it's between these two receivers. Need some advice.

Refurb Yamaha RX-V573
Newegg.com - Refurbished: YAMAHA RX-V573 7.1-Channel Network AV Receiver

or

New Yamaha RX-V375
Newegg.com - Yamaha RX-V375 5.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver (Black)

I don't necessarily need all of the features of the 573, but i've read the (Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-bit DACs) are something to be desired. Any other major differences between these two? Any reason why i might want to go new and not refurb? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis