B

bongobob

Audioholic
Hey Folks,

I recently came into an Adcom 6000 to use with my Yam 2500. Only downside is since it isn't remote controllabe I keep forgetting to turn it off (It has a REALLY tiny light on the power button). The rest of my stuff is controlled by a Harmony 880. Is anyone aware of a IR compatible AC switch? I'm thinking if something reasonably priced exists, I could program it into the 880 and all would be right with the world.
Peace and Music, Bob

B

Boubou

Audiophyte
The easiest is to plug your amp into the switched ac outlet in back of the Yam.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Boubou said:
The easiest is to plug your amp into the switched ac outlet in back of the Yam.

That would depend on the rating for that switched outlet and the max power draw of the second amp.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
bongobob said:
Hey Folks,

I recently came into an Adcom 6000 to use with my Yam 2500. Only downside is since it isn't remote controllabe I keep forgetting to turn it off (It has a REALLY tiny light on the power button). The rest of my stuff is controlled by a Harmony 880. Is anyone aware of a IR compatible AC switch? I'm thinking if something reasonably priced exists, I could program it into the 880 and all would be right with the world.
Peace and Music, Bob

Just thought of it. Perhaps one of those older X-10 capable outlets installed in an outlet box near the amp and use its remote. Not sure if they are RF type remotes or IR. Perhaps an IR controlled wall outlet? Try searching Lutron as they make IR wall switches that I am thinking of getting. Or, if you have a nearby wall outlet that is switch controlled on the lower outlet as some may be wired like that in homes, you can replace that wall switch with a Lutron IR switch.

B

bongobob

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
That would depend on the rating for that switched outlet and the max power draw of the second amp.
Since the amp is rated at 100W X 3 I would assume that a switched oulet rated at 100W max would be insufficient. Am I correct?

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Does anyone know if there is a product like a power board or power point adapter that can be switched on/off using a 12V trigger?

If there is then bongobob could use it in-line with his amp and have the receiver's 12V trigger turn it on/off, this way the amp will turn on and off with the receiver and you wont have to touch the amp

If there's not such a product then I'm sure someone could rig something up in this way.

cheers:)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
bongobob said:
Since the amp is rated at 100W X 3 I would assume that a switched oulet rated at 100W max would be insufficient. Am I correct?
The typical receiver will have a label next to the switched outlet that says something like '100w, 1A max'. DO NOT plug an amp into that outlet.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
bongobob said:
Hey Folks,

Peace and Music, Bob
My Adcom 7605 has a 12v trigger. Does your unit not have this?

B

bongobob

Audioholic
Nope. The unit is from the late 90's and I guess they weren't using such stuff back then. I was thinking maybe there was possibly a IR controlled wall wart kind of thing that could go inline between the amp power cord and the outlet. I'm a bit surprised someone hasn't come up with such a thing as it could be used to control anything. Thanks for all the responses!

B

Bobster

Junior Audioholic
One issue with using the 12v trigger on the Yamaha is that when BongoBob selects the multi-channel output, it will send a signal shutting down the external amp. I'm not really sure why it works that way, but it does.

But, I've had good success using the following method:

I'm using a Monster HTS3500 power center. It has two trigger imput modes. One is the traditional 3.5mm rca plug.

The other is a separate power cord running from the HTS3500 which plugs into one of the receiver's triggered outlets. I'm doing this with my HTR-5990 (same multi-channel issue) and it works perfectly.

I would guess other vendors have similiar solutions.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Bobster said:
One issue with using the 12v trigger on the Yamaha is that when BongoBob selects the multi-channel output, it will send a signal shutting down the external amp. I'm not really sure why it works that way, but it does.
This is just m/c input for dvd-a/sacd. Works fine any other time. I just unplug my trigger before I listen to dvd-a/sacd. I have to get-up to put the disc in anyway.

Does not affect any other surround or 2-channel source.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis