Reliability Information

R

ROSIE99

Audiophyte
Hi,

First post here but have followed this site for a few years now. I just have a quick question regarding general reliability of av's. Are there any companies out there that actually track reliability data like they do for cars with sites like edmunds, JD power, consumer reports and so on. I don't have first hand experience with the new receivers since I am still using a 10yr old Sony 333es through 5.1 with my Oppo bdp 83, but it seems with all the new technology that comes out yr after yr they don't seem to be as reliable. This is just coming from reading a lot of forums on a variety of manufactures over the yrs.

Granted you should buy a receiver on your specific needs, but this would still be helpful in my opinion.

Thanks

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
In my experience Yamaha receivers typically have outstanding reliability. Denon is high ranking as well. As with any company there are models that are hit and miss. I've heard more about problems with other manufacturers other than those two. NAD had some QC issues a while back, to my knowledge they've improved. Marantz has apparently had some recent QC problems. A few Onkyo models are known to run extremely hot and have had some failures as well. Sony, some models work for years, others not. Sony may have this problem because of serious current limitations on many models, especially Non-ES models. Pioneer seems to do alright, you don't hear much complaint about them. Their lower end models are manufactured by Sherwood (or some conglomerate that Sherwood is folded in with) that has a good track record for producing reliable products explaining why the company is responsible for producing OEM receivers for a majority of brands' entry level products reportedly ranging from Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha, and several others.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I've never seen any data tracking on reliability. I've only got experience with a few receivers - my 11 year old yamaha is still working great :)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
It's electronics so it will last somewhere between 30 minutes and 30 years...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,

First post here but have followed this site for a few years now. I just have a quick question regarding general reliability of av's. Are there any companies out there that actually track reliability data like they do for cars with sites like edmunds, JD power, consumer reports and so on. I don't have first hand experience with the new receivers since I am still using a 10yr old Sony 333es through 5.1 with my Oppo bdp 83, but it seems with all the new technology that comes out yr after yr they don't seem to be as reliable. This is just coming from reading a lot of forums on a variety of manufactures over the yrs.

Granted you should buy a receiver on your specific needs, but this would still be helpful in my opinion.

Thanks
It's not that they're less reliable, it's more an issue of them making things to be thrown away instead of being serviced. They go hand in hand and personally, I don't like it. I have a 20+ year old Sony integrated amp that I replaced with a Denon AV receiver because it didn't have many video inputs and I also wanted to use the network connection on the receiver to be able to control it remotely. The Sony works & sounds great and I don't think I cleaned the controls/switches more than once. It weighs as much as the Denon, too. I have another Sony integrated that was on display at CES when it was first revealed- probably 1977 or '78. It still works well, although the paper behind the needles on the power meters has curled and restricts the movement of the needles.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis