N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
Has anyone owned one or knows anything about REL sbus? Magnolia HiFi is having a store closing sale and they have 2 on sale. The only problem I see is that they probably cannot be returned.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I've read repeatedly over on AVtalk.co.uk that they're mostly hype. They have measurements on some of their models and they don't really stack up to similarly priced subwoofers.

SheepStar

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
I heard the new REL T series(?), the small one, on a Magnepan on-wall 5.1 setup and it was tight. It blended pretty well with the media involved but didn't A/B it against my SVS. I really liked the rig.

Mark
Polk Audio CS

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the info. I have my heart set on a HSU but they had a really good deal for the REL. I had a feeling though that they would not stack up against HSU

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
What, do you have a piano tied to your ***? Go look.

SheepStar
Why look, when a helpful fellow forum member could have easily replied something like "I think it was the Quake series"? With less keystrokes too. :rolleyes:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I personally love REL subs for music duty. The only issue I have is their performace for HT, at least for their entry to mid-level models. I know of a few audiophiles who have chosen REL, including a pro audio reveiwer that could have pretty much anything he wants. He runs a B2 x-over'd at 28hz. An HT setup obviously would x-over much higher. Great for music, for HT look elsewhere is my opinion. REL's blend extremely well and are very musical. However, I bet for most purposes for most people here, they could save their money and go ID and be happier.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
I believe there made in Wales if I’m not to mistaken.
The cabinets are made in Sheffield, but Rel Acoustics itself is based in Bridgend, South Wales (just a short way from where I grew up and only a 5 minute walk from where I spent some years in tech college - for some reason that seems weird - that's weird they were so close not that I went to tech :D ).

A friend bought a used Rel Storm to use with his B&W 805S - 100% music - and it seems to integrate very well with them in his room, which is very lucky as it's a primitive sub without much in the way of adjustment possibilities (but it does have a remote! :rolleyes: ). Strangely though, or maybe not, he couldn’t position it in his preferred spot as the sun would be on it during the morning (he’s the type who likes to keep things switched on) and it would overheat and go into protection mode just sitting there doing nothing – oh, the wonders of inefficient MOSFET amps.

When the winter starts closing in we're going to take my SMS-1 over to his place and really have a look how well it actually does integrate.

Unfortunately, from what I've read, I think Rel and their products have a little old school audiophoolery attitude associated with them; a lot of the audiophool snobs will tell you that Rel subs are the best for music. Admittedly, from what I've heard of the Storm they aren't bad for music but really, generally speaking, pay this sort of money for any sub these days and music performance becomes mainly an integration exercise. For HT you can get much better subs for the price.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis