Reflected VS pointed (Mirage VS Paradigm) for bumpy room

N

norberto1977

Audiophyte
Hi.

I want to install a Integra receiver (20.1 or 30.1) with a 5.1 system and my options are Mirage nanosat 5.1 or Paradigm cinema 110. I am transporting this from USA to Mexico, so speakers volume is a real restriction. I want to install this in a room that has a "catalan dome" and all walls are made from brick and concrete. Walls are very hard and the catalan dome gives lots of echo. My concern is that sound may be very bumpy and difuse. Nanosat's sound is more based on reflection in walls(according to mirage, 70% of the sound is reflected), paradigm sound come more from the speaker. What do you think is a better option for this case? Speaker based sound like Paradigm Cinema 110 or reflected sound like Mirage Nanosat 5.1? What would you buy in my position?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have to agree, the dome is going to be an issue no matter what speaker you put in there.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Limiting the amount of sound energy going toward the walls would be best in a room like that, perhaps something like this and small amount of absorption. Unfortunately, anything that is constant directivity and narrow dispersion will not be small.

If you absolutely need a small speaker, something that has no, or minimal, issues in its off-axis frequency response would be good, as would adding some absorption to the first reflection points.

N

norberto1977

Audiophyte
Paradigm?

If you absolutely need a small speaker, something that has no, or minimal, issues in its off-axis frequency response would be good, as would adding some absorption to the first reflection points.[/QUOTE]

Does that mean, that paradigm is a better option, since mirage uses more reflective sound?

THanks a lot for your help

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Does that mean, that paradigm is a better option, since mirage uses more reflective sound?
Yes, since you can't really tell where the first reflection point is for the omni-radiating Mirages.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Paradigm's are small speakers, and as such, there won't be a huge difference between their directivity and the Mirage's until past about 1kHz, so it's not so much that one uses reflected sound and the other doesn't, as it is that one has much wider high frequency desperation than the other.
In other words, what that means for your situation is that the reflected sound will have more high frequency energy (treble) with the Mirage's than the with the Paradigm's, not so much that one has more reflected sound than the other.

That said, I'm sorry to say that I don't have any data on exactly what the Paradigm's off-axis response looks like. So I cannot say if it has issues or not. But for what it's worth, Paradigm is usually good about such things.

But whatever you choose, you really should purchase broadband absorbers too. They will help your setup immensely.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis