Reference CDs for speaker evaluation

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
As my speakers get closer to completion I
am looking for music that is excellent for evaluating the crossovers. I'm sures some fellow builders and evaluators have pieces they use.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
As my speakers get closer to completion I
am looking for music that is excellent for evaluating the crossovers. I'm sures some fellow builders and evaluators have pieces they use.
Naim and Blue Coast Records have free high quality tracks for exactly this purpose. My speakers came with a CD with tracks from Blue Coast records.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
This is a great thread. When I was auditioning speakers recently, I just brought with me a handful of CDs of different musical genres (classical (something with an orchestra), jazz, rock, world, and something with great vocals). This really helped me think about how the speakers sounded playing different kinds of music. But the nuforce concept CD was probably the most helpful of all the types of music I brought in auditioning speakers.

By the way, I wasn't too worried about how familiar I was with the music I brought to audition speakers with. I had listened to all the CDs before but they weren't necessarily ones I listened to regularly. I'm curious how others do it because I've heard conflicting ideas on this. Some say only use music you know very well (since that gives you a solid reference) and others say you should use music you are less familiar with (presumably because it forces you to listen to something for (almost) the first time).

Last edited:
zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
and others say you should use music you are less familiar with (presumably because it forces you to listen to something for (almost) the first time).
I really don't see any upside to this - that's exactly the reason NOT to use unfamiliar music! Listening to something for the first time (or nearly so) means you're likely to hear new details merely because you're still "learning" the recording, not because of the equipment you're using to listen to it is revealing (or emphasizing) something.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis