redoing my home theater.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
I'm not looking to spend a fortune but I would like my system to sound good. I had a Bose lifestyle 12 system for many years now, it finally died so I get to start from scratch. After hearing other systems that cost a lot less than the one I had I'm looking forward to making a huge improvement. I'm about to buy a Yamaha av receiver in the next couple weeks, but from there I'm not sure which way to turn. I still have all my speakers from the Bose unit, and I'm hoping to be able to use the center and surround speakers for now till I can afford to up grade those as well. Any suggestions on what I can use for the left and right front channels, as well as a subwoofer to get started? I'm new to all this piecing together stuff so what ever help yall could give would be appreciated. Thanks

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
I like Yamaha receivers and there are a lot of them that work quite well for a home theater setting. The Bose, however, I do not like and you won't be able to incorporate them into the current system. Those are small satellite speakers that will most likely fry if you hook them up to a standard receiver as they need a crossover, which was previously housed in your "bass module" to regulate them. You will be amazed by how much better pretty much any speaker sounds compared to Bose. Do you need smallish speakers, if so then there are quite a few options, such as the Take Classic by Energy, Energy : Take Classic : TK-CLASSI-5-1 which would sound 100x better than your current setup. I am not saying that to bad mouth your previous set up, I have an Accoustimas 10 set, but that sits in the garage, i think. Were you unhappy with the sound, the level, or both?

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
For the longest time I enjoyed it. Till I heard others that blew it out the water, that's why when it died I was happy now I can replace it with something better my wife always refuses to replace things unless they break. Lol. I was thinking of putting two tower speakers on each side my entertainment center. And wasn't sure about the center and surrounds. I'm also in the market for a good sub as well. I'm hoping not to spend more than 1500 on the entire set up, which I don't know if that's even possible?

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
The center and front L/R should match to create a more seamless front soundscape. You're looking for a 5.1 w/ reciever for $1500, I would suggest the following:

R/L: Pioneer FS52 Floorstanding Speakers ($98 each at Tiger Direct)
C: Pioneer C22 Center Speaker ($90 at Tiger Direct)
SR/SL: Pioneer BS22 Bookshelf Speakers ($68 at Tiger Direct)
Sub: HSU VTF3-MK4 Subwoofer ($768 shipped for Satin Black)
----------
$1122 for the speakers. Your local Best Buy will price match Tiger Direct's price for the Pioneer speakers. What size room are you in (LxWxH)? Is it open to other rooms?

Receiver: Refurbished 7.1 Denon 1912 ($300+ship)
Refurbished 7.1 Denon 1913 ($320+ship)
Yamaha 5.1 RX-V473 ($280+ship; free shipping with Amazon Prime)

Should leave a bit left over to buy speaker wire..

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Yes, it opens into the dinning room, and there are also 2 hallways. The dimensions are 15x20x9

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Alright, just making sure we weren't dealing with a huge room.

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
Your link doesnt work...
By all accounts the pioneers are easily worth twice what
They are currently selling for...so unless you really really need
Satelite's ,it's a no-brainer

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Thanks, I don't need satellites that's good to know that there is a general consensus that the pioneer speakers are the way to go. I think that's the direction I'm going to go. How about subs? Are there any decent subs for a low price? Say under $500 dollars?

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
I'm in uk so cant comment...
I will say that decent subs cost big bucks..on the flipside
Ime. Even cheap ones are easy to sell on

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Acoustech Platinum Series PL-200DOES anybody have any experience with this sub? Are could recommend one in the same price range?

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Acoustech Platinum Series PL-200DOES anybody have any experience with this sub? Are could recommend one in the same price range?

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Acoustech Platinum Series PL-200 Does anybody have any experience with this sub? Are could recommend one in the same price range?
^added link to that sub's Amazon page

Haven't seen that specific BIC recommended much (specs look decent), but this one has popped up for budget builds a fair amount:
Amazon.com: BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer: Electronics

I would recommend you look at the SVS subs that afterlife2 posted up above as a minimum though. The Pioneer speakers are truly a steal for how much they cost and you want an awesome sub to go with them. If you've got the budget, better to get the best setup you can right? never know when the wife will let you do this again! (Which is why I still recommend the HSU I posted one the first page! :D)

@afterlife2: his room is ~2700ft^3 and is open to a dining room and several hallways.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis