RED RAY PLAYERS - Here we go... again!!

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
It seems the Ultra HD is not that far away though... let's wait'n see then...

REDRAY

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
You're right Steve!

It's kinda hard to really know how far the industry will take it, even though we all know it boils down to sales/profits/trends/ bla, bla bla...

Gee, there are still millions of people who doesn't know what the heck BD means, though, but the industry doesn't seem to care about it, as their strategy is to keep launching new technologies & gadgets every once in a while, being some way ahead of schedule, but that's the world we're living in, no?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
that's the world we're living in, no?
Ahh progress :D

There is of course a market for 4K; the projector crowd comes to mind. OTOH, if in a few years the sales associates at Best Buy are trying to push 4K on folks looking to buy a 32" screen, that would bother me a bit.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There was a thread on this a while back by the admins. Bad choice of name for "red" ray LOL. DVD= "red ray", especially considering it is a streaming device not an actual player.

R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
One more format change and I swear I'll crack lol . Are we not using only a portion of a Blueray now at 1080P. I wonder how many terabytes these 4 K movies will require ? I agree redray is a bad name as it depicts DVD . Maybe it's infrared

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
If you look at the PPI they are pushing (wasting?) on tablets, TVs are far, far behind. The industry always needs to create something new to bring out the buyers.

Steve

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
PPI matters a bit more on handheld devices, such as phones and tablets, as your typically very very close to the screen to read or watch something (at least in my experience). My DLP TV... can be as close to arm and a half length away playing games, but watching movies is a 10 foot away deal; far enough away from the dithering.

It was a huge jump when I went from my 8gb 1'st gen iPod Touch to my 32gb 4'th gen iPod Touch. The screen is so much more crisp and vibrant, it really does make watching videos and reading webpages easier. Kinda bummed about the iPad mini's screen.... I think the high PPI screens have spoiled me :D

pmcenaney

pmcenaney

Audioholic Intern
I assumed the name had something to do with the "Red One" video cameras being able to shoot 4k

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Streaming is the future. I'm not sure discs will be around much longer in the mainstream.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis