Red Cliff Parts I & II

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
This John Woo epic was just released to the US market. The Euro Version Bluray should be excellent and is about 1/3rd the price I paid. Actually I was fine paying more as it is one of the best Blurays in my Collection. :cool:

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
This John Woo epic was just released to the US market. The Euro Version Bluray should be excellent and is about 1/3rd the price I paid. Actually I was fine paying more as it is one of the best Blurays in my Collection. :cool:
I don't know if it was only part one, but this was playing on HDNet movies a few months ago. I DVR'd, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I just watched the battle at the very beginning, where they blinded the bad guys with their shields. The movie starts off pretty cool.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I own both BDs (Hong Kong version).

I saw part one 2 yrs ago and part two 1 yr ago.

Both BDs have TrueHD, DTS-HD, & PCM 5.1.

I measured the TrueHD soundtracks to be the loudest.

I thought the story, like most Asian film genre, kind of sucked though.:D

They always start off really good, but then they tend to go down hill from there.

I've seen all types of foreign films - Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, German, Italian, French, and probably some other.

I still think the best American films (which means NOT Michael Bay, etc.) are the best overall.:D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I don't know if it was only part one, but this was playing on HDNet movies a few months ago. I DVR'd, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I just watched the battle at the very beginning, where they blinded the bad guys with their shields. The movie starts off pretty cool.
I'm afraid that is the Readers Digest condensed version. My 2 Bluray Disks Asian version total 288 minutes and includes three 7.1 lossless format audio tracks the best of which is the Chinese LPCM 7.1 track.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
After seeing the previews for these on something I watched a few months ago (...Blood) I put these in my Netflix queue.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I've been watching it over the past few days, almost done. At parts it drags, and I agree that some of the story is a bit weak, but I think it makes up for it with awesome strategy war stories.

The audio and video quality are amazing, I have no idea what version I got (whatever Netflix has, two discs....)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I got 720p AVC with DTS sound version from source remain unnamed ;) which for me is plenty of PQ and SQ :D
Movie is very epic and drags in several places, but multi Oscars winner LOTR is also epic and also very slow - go figure :p
Finished with 1st and almost done with 2nd part... Will finish this w'end

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
There are a few places in the movie, where the CG is absolutely terrible (i.e. a scene with the ships).... I wonder why they would have this epic movie, with awesome sound and film quality, and then insert a few scenes with bad CG. :confused:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
There are a few places in the movie, where the CG is absolutely terrible (i.e. a scene with the ships).... I wonder why they would have this epic movie, with awesome sound and film quality, and then insert a few scenes with bad CG. :confused:
I know what you're talking about (only have seen part 1, waiting for stars to align for most of original group to watch pt 2), but I have an honest question:

What CG is good CG? It's always easy to pick out it seems, ya know . . . ? But, I am curious what movies have better examples, and why you might consider them to be superior . . . thanks . . .

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I know what you're talking about (only have seen part 1, waiting for stars to align for most of original group to watch pt 2), but I have an honest question:

What CG is good CG? It's always easy to pick out it seems, ya know . . . ? But, I am curious what movies have better examples, and why you might consider them to be superior . . . thanks . . .
There are some things that realistic CG tends to have...

Real things have imperfections, they have dirt, scratches, and light reacts to these. Dirt is what gives good renders depth, a lot of times. Not just mud caked up, but, the little dusting like you have on your table that scatters the light... the details. Dirt is detail that your eye expects, and it gives scale.

A lot of it has to do with light. Light temperature is a big one (sun is blue, tungsten is orange, leds are light blue), and proper physical light fall offs. A lot of times that's where CG fire looks unrealistic, isn't so much the 'flames' as it is the light fall off around them.

Also, when mixing CG with film, the lighting has to be matched in the CG elements with the plate (film). So the lighting environment needs to be matched well in the computer to what was filmed.

Like, for example, in Pirates of Caribbean entire scenes were shot with real actors for reference, so that the CG precisely mirrored their real-world counterparts.

The models used also have a lot to do with it. Rendering is computationally intensive, so a lot of times simplified models are used where possible and then things like dirt shaders or bump maps are used to make them look more weathered (rather than increasing the polygon count). A bump map is where you would model the side of a ship hull, for example, and then instead of detail modelling all the wood panels and splines, a texture is laid on top that accounts for these giving the render cracks and so forth. A lot of times these are taken from real pictures, then converted to grayscale (the bumps work with black being the deepest, white being the lightest, and then you set how much range you want that to be at). Things like beveling corners to catch speculars on building or vessel edges, or having some unevenness to a wall.

Composing is also difficult, especially when mixing film with CG. Like getting the film grain to match on all channels, colorshifting to match the pallete of the film (and balancing this with the lighting).

This is just a little ramble, I could go on and on and on .... edgeblurs, using physically correct lights (i.e. not point-sourced lighting), having correct specular mapping, motion blur ...and on and on and on. Anyone still here :D

So, movies I think have better CG? I'd really have to think about it. I'd say The Matrix, 300, Sin City, Avatar, Pirates of the Caribbean series, Pan's Labyrinth, Star Wars I, 2 and 3, Lord of the Rings..... I'll think of more.. for the toon-shader stuff I'd say "9" is pretty awesome.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Interesting forensic breakdown of CG there Sensi. I agree the 1000 boats scene was obvious CG but I thought it was rather well done anyway. I feel fortunate to not have your critical eye for such things. Makes it easier to just watch and enjoy ;).

Also despite being 288 minutes, I enjoyed just about all of them. I felt the cinematography, characters and costuming were top notch. Actually I had a problem with the tiger hunt segment (not very convincing) but otherwise, the film had me the whole way.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
and Speaking of this movie f-ups - did anyone noticed in 2nd part, then guards closing huge door, these door are on wheels.. with tires on them...

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Even though I haven't watched either all the way through yet I have watched a but of both and they are truly epic films to see on Bluray.

RMK, so you said the LPCM track is the best one? Why is that? I wish I had time to test all 3 but I do not.....and in adding this to my digital media collection I will likely be removing all but 1 track to conserve space. More info on this would be appreciated. :)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Even though I haven't watched either all the way through yet I have watched a but of both and they are truly epic films to see on Bluray.

RMK, so you said the LPCM track is the best one? Why is that? I wish I had time to test all 3 but I do not.....and in adding this to my digital media collection I will likely be removing all but 1 track to conserve space. More info on this would be appreciated. :)
Just personal preference, I think the DTS HD-MA is a little over cooked (I usually prefer DTS HD-MA). BTW, they are all 7.1, not 5.1 as acudeftecchguy stated.:)

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Just personal preference, I think the DTS HD-MA is a little over cooked (I usually prefer DTS HD-MA). BTW, they are all 7.1, not 5.1 as acudeftecchguy stated.:)
And by overcooked you mean the LFE is too hot I assume?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My system is 5.1 so everything is 5.1.:D

I actually measured all 3 soundtracks throughout the movies. I took about 5 different identical points and measured each point for about 1 minute. The TrueHD was like 4+ dB louder than the PCM at times. The PCM was like 2dB louder than the DTS-HD at times. So the quietest track was the DTS-HD MA.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And by overcooked you mean the LFE is too hot I assume?
I did not think the LFE was too hot at all.

I thought all the sounds were loud.:eek:

I did NOT think the LFE was as good as "HURT LOCKER" or "DOOM". :D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
My system is 5.1 so everything is 5.1.:D

I actually measured all 3 soundtracks throughout the movies. I took about 5 different identical points and measured each point for about 1 minute. The TrueHD was like 4+ dB louder than the PCM at times. The PCM was like 2dB louder than the DTS-HD at times. So the quietest track was the DTS-HD MA.
I understand, everything for me is 9.1 :D

I wasn't measuring but I thought the bass was running hotter with the DTS track although I probably couldn't tell the diff in a bind test ;).

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I did not think the LFE was too hot at all.

I thought all the sounds were loud.:eek:

I did NOT think the LFE was as good as "HURT LOCKER" or "DOOM". :D
I didn't think it was too hot either...I was just trying to interpret RMK's statement.

I would watch The Hurt Locker to try out the LFE track but I did not like that movie at all and found it quite cheesy to be honest.....maybe I will give it another shot just for the sake of audio.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I didn't think it was too hot either...I was just trying to interpret RMK's statement.

I would watch The Hurt Locker to try out the LFE track but I did not like that movie at all and found it quite cheesy to be honest.....maybe I will give it another shot just for the sake of audio.
With my system, over cooked bass is the norm :p.

To be honest (I have to say that cause I so seldom am), I was told the LPCM audio track was better and my fried out old brain did the rest. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis