Recommended home CD/MP3 player under $300?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
It’s time to upgrade the old CD player (Sony) and after reading various reviews I’m more mixed up than a feather in a whirlwind.<o:p></o:p>
As much as I would like to purchase a Class A unit, the bank account begs to differ. Occasionally I’ll play some of my old CD’s (at last count 2,032, not counting those CD-R WAV recorded format) but I’m looking for a unit that will play recorded CD-R MP3 files (all 320K) as good as possible. I know the MP3 audio quality sucks, so no soap box speechifying needed. I’m older than dirt (58) and my ears have been abused terribly between live concerts and playing my system at extremely high levels over the years. But I find that the MP3’s sound much better from my PC to my stereo system in the office than when I play the recorded CD-R MP3’s thru my Philips Blu-ray player in my better setup in the living room.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks.<o:p></o:p>

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Actually 320 kbps is pretty darn good but if you are ripping music using a computer, you might as well use a lossless format since hard disc space is cheap.

Do you want to stream this from a computer wirelessly or do you want an MP3 player (like an iPod)? You can get very good sound from an iPod but you have 2 choices, cheap and not so cheap. Cheap (and pretty good) is to use the MP3 (or iPod dac). With an iPod, for example, you'll want to use the line out via the dock connector with something like this, Amazon.com: FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone: MP3 Players & Accessories. More expensive and probably better is to bypass the iPod's dac with an external unit. I like this unit from HRT because I like HRT products and because it will work with a variety of different dock connections: Amazon.com: HRT iStreamer Outboard DAC for iDevices: Electronics

Alternatively, if you want to go wirelessly, there are tons of different solutions. You can love or hate Apple, but iTunes works well and it can stream nicely to an Apple TV or an Apple express (which is also works as a repeater for your wifi). You will want to use an external dac with these because they don't sound that great from the line out. But they tend to be expensive (esp. for what they do) and most will blow through your $300 budget pretty fast.

There is a third option. You could just get the Onk TX 8050 networking stereo receiver: Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-8050 Network Stereo Receiver (Black): Electronics. It fits your budget, it will stream music, and it has a usb input for playback from an iPod or a hard disc. This may be your most cost effective solution.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Honestly it's extremely unlikely that any player will give you better sound than your bluray player. If you want a new player for new players sake you're pretty much free to choose what looks coolest to you.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the quick response.

bikemig

The HRT unit seems like the best option for me but a non-iPod model. I’m at war with Apple; too expensive and too proprietary.

I just hooked up my SanDisk 8GB MP3 player (sounds great to me when I use my Klipsch S4i ear buds) to the Yamaha RX-V4600 receiver (AUX input) and it sounds way better than the CD-R disc played on my Philips Blu-ray unit. That’s progress right. I currently own a FiiO E10 unit and I’m going to see if I can rig it up to get some more juice out of the SanDisk player before I go the HRT route. <O:p></O:p>
The wireless option sounds good but I’m waiting for the Sonos ZP90 to come down in price or purchase a used unit. Good luck with that, huh?

Thanks for tweaking my brain cells.

Grador

I still want to upgrade my CD player so I’m going bargain basement shopping for a used NAD or Rotel unit on Craigslist/eBay.

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis