Recommendations for front sound stage, $1,500 budget?

Y

yugnat

Enthusiast
Hi - I've got a living room I'm trying to pull off a decent home theater system in (movies a priority - 75% movies, 25% SACD and DVD-A). Room size is 23' wide x 19' deep with 13' high ceiling, open layout so complete back of the room opens to the kitchen and dining room. Kicker is I need bookshelf speakers for front left, front right, and center speakers. Center is located above a 60" Panasonic plasma. Left and right speakers will be 10' apart, listening position is 10' from the TV. Shelf space is generous at least. I have an Emotiva XPA-3 (200 watt per channel). Budget is $1,500 MAX total for front left, right and center, recommendations please? I will try to audition based on the list I can compile.

Thanks!

Y

yugnat

Enthusiast
Ascend CMT-340SE front stage would run you under $1k or a set of Sierras from them would right around your price range.

Audiophile Loudspeakers and Subwoofers for Home Theater and Music - Ascend Acoustics, renowned speakers,subs,audio

I think you could probably swing some Salks Songs as well:
SongSurround Overview/Pricing
Thanks - those are a great start for my list. Question though, both the CMT-340 and the Salk Surround II look like horizontal MTM designs for the center channels - isn't that to be avoided?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I use identical MTMs across the front and it works great. I think when people complain about MTMs, I'd say they are complaining about a speaker that is not as well designed. In the case of those recommended, I don't think that will be an issue.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks - those are a great start for my list. Question though, both the CMT-340 and the Salk Surround II look like horizontal MTM designs for the center channels - isn't that to be avoided?
If you need to lay a speaker horizontally(which is not ideal) you can't avoid an MTM.
If you want to wall mount the tv you can then place the speaker vertically under the tv. This would get you better sound, but if that's not an option you are stuck with the horizontal center.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you need to lay a speaker horizontally(which is not ideal) you can't avoid an MTM.
If you want to wall mount the tv you can then place the speaker vertically under the tv. This would get you better sound, but if that's not an option you are stuck with the horizontal center.
The Ascend Sierra is offered in a "horizontal" configuration that has its tweeter rotated 90 degrees. There is no MTM bookshelf version of it. While it may work, it would not be my first choice of a center; I'd tend to opt for a vertical orientation in that case if height isn't a constraint.

Y

yugnat

Enthusiast
I don't necessarily need to lay the center horizontally, the shelf over my TV has about 20" clearance above - so it could be a third vertical bookshelf that matched the fronts...

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
If your front speakers are going into a built in entertainment center, I would advise against a rear-ported bookshelf speaker. I went through this process last year for my basement system and ended up going with a DIY kit called the Zaph 5.2 from Madisound.com with the reduced baffle step compensation option. Super easy kit to assemble. For the center, I used the 5.3c, which has the reduced bsc standard and is front ported as well. About 650.00 delivered and took about 5 hours to put it all together. Sounds awesome and the price was right.
Cheers, Mac
ps if you have your center speaker above the TV, make sure to tilt it slightly downward to keep the tweeter aimed at your ears when in the listening position. The same goes for the front left and right speaker.

Y

yugnat

Enthusiast
Does anybody have opinions on perhaps using the Philarmonitors in this application, matching speakers for the front left, right, and center? I'm particularly wanting to know about how well they'll fill such a large space and if they will sound good for the home theater side of things - I'm a little hesitant as I feel they excel more for music, and acoustic style music at that in lieu of Bluray action movies.

Otherwise I have the Sierra-1, Salk Songsurround, and SVS Ultra bookshelves on my list. Any other that might do well in this scenario?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If a speaker is good for music, it should be equally good for movies/TV. With your requirement of bookshelf speakers you'll need a decent sub to help with the lower frequencies (especially for movies). Looks like you've got a nice list to choose from. Good luck.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I went with my speakers specifically for music and the benefit is, movies also sound great. So +1 to the comment that a good speaker ideally does everything well.

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
Does anybody have opinions on perhaps using the Philarmonitors in this application, matching speakers for the front left, right, and center? I'm particularly wanting to know about how well they'll fill such a large space and if they will sound good for the home theater side of things - I'm a little hesitant as I feel they excel more for music, and acoustic style music at that in lieu of Bluray action movies.

Otherwise I have the Sierra-1, Salk Songsurround, and SVS Ultra bookshelves on my list. Any other that might do well in this scenario?
I was considering that Philharmonitor as well. I do like that it's front ported and so gives a little bit more flexibility. A pair of the Philharmonitors is less expensive than the SVS bookshelves, and you get a ribbon tweeter to boot. Dennis Murphy could rotate a tweeter in one to give you a L/C/R front sound stage for well under your $1500. If that Philharmonitor came in a front ported MTM design, I probably would have bitten the bullet and bought three for my front stage. Alas, they don't. Salk could build them for you but now we are in a different price class.

I recently picked up 3 used GR Research N3S's for my front 3. The L/R hasn't arrived yet, but I will say the center is pretty interesting. It's planar tweeter is so different sounding than domes that I haven't even gathered my thoughts as to how to properly describe it.

EMP runs good sales from time to time. You could consider their e55 towers + a center channel and come well under budget.

Are you using a dedicated subwoofer? And how close to the front wall are the 3 speakers?

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
I don't necessarily need to lay the center horizontally, the shelf over my TV has about 20" clearance above - so it could be a third vertical bookshelf that matched the fronts...
Oh, in that case I would give the Philharmonitors a good look. I believe Dennis Murphy offers an in-home trial.

Y

yugnat

Enthusiast
I'm definitely looking at the Philharmonitors, they are priced perfectly as well.

Looking at this from a completely different angle, is a speaker from one of the large manufacturers worth considering at this price point? Say like the new Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65's? AH's review was glowing, almost over the top. Any opinions on those?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I recently picked up 3 used GR Research N3S's for my front 3. The L/R hasn't arrived yet, but I will say the center is pretty interesting. It's planar tweeter is so different sounding than domes that I haven't even gathered my thoughts as to how to properly describe it.
I would describe the BG tweeter as smooth. I disagree that they are that different from a dome in that they sound closer to a soft dome than any other ribbon I've heard thanks to Danny's design.

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
I'm definitely looking at the Philharmonitors, they are priced perfectly as well.

Looking at this from a completely different angle, is a speaker from one of the large manufacturers worth considering at this price point? Say like the new Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65's? AH's review was glowing, almost over the top. Any opinions on those?
I've never heard them, but I think anything you can review in your home, risk free, is worth considering.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Aren't those Dennis Murphy speakers? If so you simply can't go wrong. He's an excellent engineer. I'd rather have Phils than Ascends personally. Not that I have anything against the Ascends. It's just personal preference.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Hi James, have you personally auditioned speakers from either DM or Salk audio since you randomly recommend them? I'd also like to ask you which Ascends have you heard?
Just curious...is all!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis