Recommendations for DVD player for SXRD RPTV

M

MikeSp

Junior Audioholic
Since my 15 year old Pioneer Elite RPTV shot craps, I have replaced it with a Sony SXRD RPTV. My 8 year old Panasonic A310 DVD player has been superb, but its highest resolution outputs are component (unsure if it is interlaced or progressive scan).

Could I expect better PQ from a newer SD DVD player with HDMI outputs such as the Oppo?

I am not ready to purchase a high def DVD player, preferring to wait until the format war is over since I have already been burned by BetaMax and LD.

What SD DVD players under $500 are recommended for use with the Sony SXRD RPTV and which source technology--HDMI or Component?

opinions/recommendations??

MikeSp

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I just replace a 5 year old Pioneer dvd player, component only and progressive scan, with an inexpensive...$80...Philips DVP5960 dvd player and use its' hdmi to my tv's dvi connection via a hdmi/dvi cable...cable cost $45 lol...

The pq difference was dramatic. The Philips pq is much much better, sharper, color saturation, etc. compared to the Pioneer for such short money.

I have no other commentary regarding other players but would say that any decent quality dvd player will run circles around an older player via the digital interconnects especially with one of todays tv's...my tv is only 3 years old but is a "budget" model though the picture is quite nice.

Check out this review site of todays players http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

Many here, and on other forums, speak very highly for the Oppo brand and this review really touts the Oppo brands while pretty much hammering every other dvd player tested, some much harsher than others so perhaps a "grain of salt" is needed though that is only my opinion.

Good luck and keep us informed.

D

dusty 50

Audiophyte
Hi. Since you bought an S.X.R.D.,I must tell you that I just bought a J.V.C. d-ila, which is similar tecnology. I also bought an Oppo 971 d.v.d. player and I am very pleased with the picture. It upscales only through the hdmi\dvi thingy, but I know your T.V. has an hdmi slot. Oppo throws in the cable for nothin'!! You'll love it. I have NO plans to go HD dvd, there's just no reason to.

M

MikeSp

Junior Audioholic
dusty 50 said:
Hi. Since you bought an S.X.R.D.,I must tell you that I just bought a J.V.C. d-ila, which is similar tecnology. I also bought an Oppo 971 d.v.d. player and I am very pleased with the picture. It upscales only through the hdmi\dvi thingy, but I know your T.V. has an hdmi slot. Oppo throws in the cable for nothin'!! You'll love it. I have NO plans to go HD dvd, there's just no reason to.
Think that is the way that I will go except I plan to wait for the new 981HD which outputs 1080P, is black in color and may be available around Thanksgiving.

MikeSp

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis