Recommendations for a DVDAudio/SACD player under $100

S

starflight

Junior Audioholic
Hi guys,

I missed out on a sale a while back on an older Yamaha player that was on clearance for $30. I didnt' have HDMI output so I decided not to go for it. Now I'm wondering if you could recommend me a player that is able to play DVD Audio, SACD and had good upscaling with HDMI output that is $100 or less. Brand doesn't matter too much. My signature has my current AV setup. Cheers!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hmm, you pose a difficult question. From what I understand, the least you would want to ever spend on a SACD/DVD-Audio player with upconversion would be an Oppo. Then again, I can't think of any brand other than them that offers such a player anywhere near your budget aside from Denon, which would be more than the Oppo for the performance.

S

starflight

Junior Audioholic
Hmmm... I just finished looking at the Yamaha site and wow, what makes SACD capable players so much more money? I wish I took a chance at the one that was on clearance on Fridays a few weeks back. it was only $30!!! I swear the only thing that held me back was that it did not have an HDMI output. Guess it was quite an older model.

sorry for the silly questions but Oppo is a brand? got any links?

AUtiger

AUtiger

Junior Audioholic
I got a toshiba SD-6980 that will play about every disc including SACD & may suit your needs off of ebay for about $100. Hope it helps.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hmmm... I just finished looking at the Yamaha site and wow, what makes SACD capable players so much more money? I wish I took a chance at the one that was on clearance on Fridays a few weeks back. it was only $30!!! I swear the only thing that held me back was that it did not have an HDMI output. Guess it was quite an older model.

sorry for the silly questions but Oppo is a brand? got any links?
http://www.oppodigital.com/

They sell direct from their site, and I also hear that Costco sells them (I don't have a Costco in my area).

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv980h/default.asp

The DV-980H is $169 (comes with HDMI cable) and has 7.1 analog outputs (just in case you need them if HDMI on a receiver cannot handle the formats) and also a USB host, so you can view pictures or listen to MP3s off of a flash drive.:)

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I'd spend a little more and pick up an Oppo. Great players for the money.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'd spend a little more and pick up an Oppo. Great players for the money.
What are your impressions of the DV-980H? Reliability, quality of playback on all sources? Does it have any glitches?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have had no issues with my 980. Easily the best choice for the price.

S

starflight

Junior Audioholic
http://www.oppodigital.com/

They sell direct from their site, and I also hear that Costco sells them (I don't have a Costco in my area).

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv980h/default.asp

The DV-980H is $169 (comes with HDMI cable) and has 7.1 analog outputs (just in case you need them if HDMI on a receiver cannot handle the formats) and also a USB host, so you can view pictures or listen to MP3s off of a flash drive.:)

Thanks for the suggestion and the links regarding OPPO. I've never heard or seen this brand but going over some of the threads here, I do see that there are lot of people who have them. At $170, it is quite a bit out of my budget but from the specs it sure looks like a feature packed player.

I was looking at the offerings from Philips but I didn't see any SACD capable players.. however the DVP5982 looks really good for about $60-$70.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Contact Oppo and see if you can get a refurb one from them, they are a lot less and they come with a full warranty. I got my previous 970 for $129.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Thanks for the suggestion and the links regarding OPPO. I've never heard or seen this brand but going over some of the threads here, I do see that there are lot of people who have them. At $170, it is quite a bit out of my budget but from the specs it sure looks like a feature packed player.

I was looking at the offerings from Philips but I didn't see any SACD capable players.. however the DVP5982 looks really good for about $60-$70.
Oppo Digital is one of the most highly rated DVD players currently on the market. Their video processing is only rivaled by players costing hundreds, or even thousands of dollars more.

For audio playback, they are still well thought of, and as others have suggested, are the best choice for your budget. You would have to spend several hundreds more to rival or improve on their audio quality.

Get the Oppo Digital!!!

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Pioneer DV563S

The prices you are looking at all scream used. A year ago I bought a Pioneer DV563S dvd player used for $70. If you watched the auctions on ebay I bet you could get one for a song. The date of mfgr on mine was July 2003. This player does sacd and dvd a. It puts out a fine picture and sounds great. I don't think I could tell the diff between it and my Denon 3910, which is a substantial player. This little Pioneer raised quite a ruckus among reviewers when it was new......I did some research before I bought it.
Here is a Pioneer Ebay auction going on. Different model, but same thing as mine. There were a bunch of five and six hundred series Pioneer. Make sure the one you bid on does DVD A, and Sacd....not all did both...........excellent player.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I used to own a Pioneer 588a, which was going for about a hundred bucks U.S. when I bought it. It does both SACD and DVD-A and worked quite fine. For sound quality it does not compare with my newer Oppo, but hey, the Pio was dead cheap at $100. Priced new or used, it'll fit your bill. (But I too recommend spending a bit more and getting an Oppo!)

cheers,
supervij

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis