Recommendations for 5.1 system

G

Golfer474

Enthusiast
I'm looking for some recommendations on building a 5.1 system. My budget is around $2500. I am leaning towards and integrated A/V receiver (as opposed to a separate amp / receiver combo), floor speakers for the front left and right, bookshelf speakers for the rear left and right, and of course a center and subwoofer. I've done a little bit of research and KEF seems to keep coming up as a decent speaker manufacturer, but I'm unsure what to do for the rest of the components. Anyway, I'm open to all suggestions.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hi @Golfer474 and welcome to the forums! Thanks for letting us spend your money.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/purchase/advisor.mv -- Use that to add a pair of CMT-340 SE mains (measurements here) + a CMT-340 SE center. Then go to http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/access/spkstnds/pedstlcmt340.html and add a pair of pedestals to turn your mains into towers. Then add a pair of http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/subs/lv12r.html subwoofers. Total is $1986 + shipping. For rear surrounds, I'm pretty pleased with my Fluance AVBP2 bipoles for the money: less than $100 if you don't mind refurb. (Mine were refurb, and they were indistinguishable from brand new.) You can always upgrade later if you wish, but you might not need to. Anyway, add a receiver from www.accessories4less.com with what's left over -- as @Mark of Cenla suggests, either Yamaha, Denon, or Marantz.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
KEF will be announcing their successor to the current Q series in a matter of a couple weeks. I'd wait to see what new they have or take advantage of the discounted prices on the good but outgoing product.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good suggestions so far. What will your sources be for content?

G

Golfer474

Enthusiast
Good suggestions so far. What will your sources be for content?
I agree, thanks to every for the suggestions! The primary content will be Blu-Ray and Spotify (via bluetooth or plugged in). I should also mention my room size is about 13' x 17' if that makes a difference.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree, thanks to every for the suggestions! The primary content will be Blu-Ray and Spotify (via bluetooth or plugged in). I should also mention my room size is about 13' x 17' if that makes a difference.
Was wondering if you had a tt as a source; fewer avrs come with a phono input these days; I'd also recommend A4L for avr shopping, and Denon/Marantz/Yamaha would be my go-to brands.

I just use the Spotify app in my avrs for the most part (my Denon currently has an issue with my playlists, tho, that Spotify and Denon have been mostly helpless with). I also use Spotify Connect on my PS3. I remember someone posting about a fairly new avr requiring you to use an app from outside the avr altogether, too.

You will likely find more value in the 7ch avrs btw, that's the norm now.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm looking for some recommendations on building a 5.1 system. My budget is around $2500. I am leaning towards and integrated A/V receiver (as opposed to a separate amp / receiver combo), floor speakers for the front left and right, bookshelf speakers for the rear left and right, and of course a center and subwoofer. I've done a little bit of research and KEF seems to keep coming up as a decent speaker manufacturer, but I'm unsure what to do for the rest of the components. Anyway, I'm open to all suggestions.
As you've probably been advised already...spend the most money in the budget on the speakers to get the most bang for your buck.

I'm going to also recommend the emotiva airmotiv line...LCR and 2 rear for under $1200...for the performance it will be hard to beat that. From the people I've heard that were at the AXPONA show that weren't drooling over stuff that they'd have to take out a second mortgage to buy, they all raved over the Airmotiv setup including a couple of professional reviewers.

That will leave you about $1300 for a sub, AVR, and maybe even a source....In keeping with the output quality, I'd spend a little more on the sub maybe $600-$700 (Outlaw Ultra X12 or stick with Emotiva and their S12) and maybe back down on the AVR a little if I needed to.

Good luck with it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Since no one has mentioned it, have you considered getting bookshelf speakers and putting money saved into a better sub(s)?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dang you guys really don't like klipsch lol
It's not so much that. Klipsch is known for being brighter sounding than other speakers. Some folks love them. I'm more leery about their subwoofers. From what I've been reading, some of their new offerings are decent, but I had a pair and they just don't compare to some of the id brands out now like SVS, Hsu, Rhythmik, etc.

I had a pair of RPW 10's and replaced them with 2 SVS SB1000's and I was completely blown away. The sound quality of my entire system improved just swapping my subs for better ones.

Last edited:
KlipschFTW

KlipschFTW

Audioholic Intern
It's not so much that. Klipsch is known for being brighter sounding than other speakers. Some folks love them. I'm more leery about their sunwoofers. From what I've been reading, some of their new offerings are decent, but I had a pair and they just don't compare to some of the id brands out now like SVS, Hsu, Rhythmik, etc.

I had a pair of RPW 10's and replaced them with 2 SVS SB1000's and I was completely blown away. The sound quality of my entire system improved just swapping my subs for better ones.
That's true they didn't sell me on anything until the reference premiere series and I fell in love after that.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's true they didn't sell me on anything until the reference premiere series and I fell in love after that.
I really underestimated how much a quality sub can help. It really did improve the sound of my whole system. It really cleaned up.

V

Vijay

Audiophyte
Hi there this is my first post I am using polk sub 550w with my denon rec 550bt but I am not getting enough bass response where is the problem please let me know

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dang you guys really don't like klipsch lol
Hard to say about the brand as a whole; I have listened to some of their mid-lower floor/bookshelf models and found them too shrill/fatiguing for my taste but their older speakers in the vein of their current Heritage lineup I liked quite a bit (but it has been a long time). Their newer RP/RF series I'd like to hear, from what I've read they may be more to my liking.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi there this is my first post I am using polk sub 550w with my denon rec 550bt but I am not getting enough bass response where is the problem please let me know
You'd have to explain how you set up the sub in the system to start....also what else does the system consist of and what type of content/source are you using to judge?

ps You should really start your own thread, have seen you add this to another thread already.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis