Recommendation for 5.1system < 1K

J

June C

Audiophyte
Recommendation is appreciated for a 4.1/5.1 system under $1000

Preference: Clarity
High Priority: Vocal Music
Low Priority: Loud/Dynamic Music
Usage : more music listening, less movie watching.
Room size : small

floor standing / bookshelf type doesnt matter, unless if the size is very big (room constraint)
Thanks in advance.

B

biguns

Enthusiast
The Athena recommendation is a good one. Athena is being discontinued and some great deals can be had.

Another option I would look at is this:

PSB Alpha B1 bookshelfs (fronts) $275
Athena WS-15 (surround) $80
PSB Alpha C1 center $225
Find a decent $200 receiver (refurbished)
AV123 x-sub $199
Marantz CD4001 Cd changing $170 (refurbished)

($1150) A little over but probably blows the Athenas out of the water.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Mirage Nanostats at $799 have been recommended by a number of people in the forum. They are 360 degree radiating speakers (a unique design). The SVS system's subwoofer goes deeper but this system is smaller and a lot better than a little cube system.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=12700&i=653NANSYPB&tp=184

The Antony Gallo Nucleus Micro system is small kind of cool looking and several forum members like them a lot, but you may have to contact a dealer for pricing.

http://www.roundsound.com/home-theater-system.htm

Orb Audio has some round speakers in you price range and several forum members rergard them highly.

http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=8

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Athena bookshelf speakers (pair) for surrounds $100

Athena Center channel (one speaker) $100

Athena Towers (priced as each, semi-attractive woman not included) for your fronts $300

OR

Smaller Athena Towers (priced as each) for fronts $200

5 speakers total comes to $400-500. That leaves $500-600 for the rest. You can run the Fronts as full range until you can afford a subwoofer and get a newer receiver such as the Yamaha RX-V663, or you can cut back to a lower priced receiver such as the Yamaha RX-V661 or even lower price (has no HDMI features) RX-V659. The RX-V659 is older but still has an array of inputs and preouts for additional amplification. It uses the same amplifier as the RX-V663 (the RX-V661 has a lesser amplifier than the RX-V659/663).

If you save on the receiver you can get a subwoofer now. I would recommend staying far way from Athena subwoofers. I had one, and it was a complete stinker. Something like the Onix X-Sub might fit the bill.

Don't forget to leave some budget for speaker wire and other cabling. Speaker wire you can get at a hardware store for reasonable prices, cables I would look at www.monoprice.com.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I wish I knew if the receiver was included in the budget, if not he can really spring for a good subwoofer.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Athena brand has been discontinued, so I believe that is why the great prices are readily available. That is something to consider.

I will second the SVS SBS-01 package with the PB-10. It is a solid all around performer. Yes the sub is large, but you won't be disappointed with its performance.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I will second the SVS SBS-01 package with the PB-10. It is a solid all around performer. Yes the sub is large, but you won't be disappointed with its performance.
How about Athena speakers with an SVS subwoofer?, if the speakers alone must cost $1000.:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How about Athena speakers with an SVS subwoofer?, if the speakers alone must cost $1000.:D
I don't see why not :) Athena is no more though, so grab the deals while they still exist.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I don't see why not :) Athena is no more though, so grab the deals while they still exist.
Those are not only sharp looking speakers, but also great sounding for the price (even full retail they are considered a bargain). So yeah, get them soon, or you will miss out.:D

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
There are many systems you could put together. The SVS is an excellent system for the money. Aperion and av123 are also good picks. Saturday Audio is having some blowouts on PSB Images. Combine those with an SVS or HSU sub and you have one fine system.

J

June C

Audiophyte
Thank you very much for the recommendations.
My 1k budget is reserved for speaker system only, since I have got a pioneer receiver (thinking to go to Marantz, but it is a different story).

I managed to compile a list from different people and forums, which I would like to share here:
(1) Athena speakers.
Discontinued, difficult to find. A friend commented that all Athena speakers sound too sharp/piercing.
(2) PSB Alpha B1.
Highly recommended here. Planning to do a sound audition next week.
(3) Cambridge Audio SR30 (monitors)
Tested the sound. Not very detailed, but amazing value for under 200$
(4) Aperion.
Seems out of budget and difficult to test since it is a direct shipping company
(5) Infinity Primus
Looking for a place to do a sound audition.
(6) Silverline Audio Minuet.
Same as above

D

dronezero

Audioholic
I think you would have a hard time fitting the Silverline Minuet into your budget. They are $600 a pair.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I didn't find the Athena's to bright or harsh at all, your friend must be used to listening to speakers with blown tweeters.:D If you did go with Athena you could spend a bit more on a subwoofer from HSU or SVS, which would be far more effective than the Athena subwoofer or any subwoofers offered by the companies you listed (for the money). A $500 SVS or HSU will rock your house with clean, deep, powerful bass.:D

J

June C

Audiophyte
I think you would have a hard time fitting the Silverline Minuet into your budget. They are $600 a pair.
I am aware of that, but it is possible to have a system without subwoofer with this choice. But how is the performance of Silverline Minuet? Have you listened to it?

P

peterL

Enthusiast
The subwoofer thing is personal preference. I have a PSB Image setup (T45s, C40, and B15s). I shopped around, bought used on Audiogon and Ebay, and have only spent ~800 so far without a sub. My T45s play down to about 35 Hz in my room. This to me is sufficient for a moderate room for music and most movies. Do I want a sub for the occasional pipe organ or action movie? The answer is yes, but I'm quite happy with my system for now. It's actually quite impressive considering no speaker is larger than 5.25". :)

That said, I'm saving for an SVS, HSU, or used Sunfire sub. I haven't made up my mind, but when I have more funds, I'll start looking around for good deals.

You've gotten some good recommendations here. Go listen! For what it's worth, I didn't find the Athena audition line harsh at all. I haven't heard the newer LS line, although I've heard (and it sure looks like) it shares drivers and things from the Energy C series (same parent company, which just got bought out my Klipsch, hence the end of the Athena line). The Energy's get good reviews.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would avoid getting a Sunfire subwoofer. You are paying for the size, not sound. The HSU STF-2 walks all over it in most every aspect aside from size. I have owned and used both in the same setup and the HSU was more articulate, went deeper, and went louder. SVS will go deeper and louder than HSU, but they tend to be less articulate than HSU from what I have heard.

D

dronezero

Audioholic
I am aware of that, but it is possible to have a system without subwoofer with this choice. But how is the performance of Silverline Minuet? Have you listened to it?
No, I haven't heard them. Back when I was looking for speakers I read a review that said they compared similarly to the Era Design 4s which were my front runners at the time. So, I had wanted to audition them, but couldn't find a place nearby.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis