Reciever for Infinity primus p363?

R

ridfighter

Audioholic Intern
Hi Everyone,First of all let me apologise for posting a reciever question on a loudspeaker section, the reason is i did post this on the amp section and didnt get any responses.

so i just got Infinity primus p363 towers and Pc-351 center and p-163 bookshelves, Right now i have a very basic yet new denon AVR-391, The specs for this is:

5.1-channel home theater receiver/amplifier with 375 watts of total power (5 x 75W)
3D-enabled HDMI pass-through technology (HDMI 1.4a); all sources are up-converted to HDMI
High-definition audio support--Dolby TruHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, and Dolby Pro Logic IIz for front height effects channels

I need to upgrade my reciever as i know this is not powerfull enough to drive the Infinities, my criterea is, It has to be around $500 and less(i dont mind refurbished or used), need 4 HDMI INPUTS and i need ipod interface and auddessey multi eq(or something similer), and also i just ordered a bad *** sub: SVS PB-12NSD, so it has to match this BIG sub and my powerhungry Infinities!!I like Denons, but i am open to suggestions, also Audioholic rated this as 4ohm speakers but harman says that it is 8 ohm, what reciever should i get? and if you have these speakers, what are you driving them with? I really appreciate your help , Thanks:eek:

Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Audioholic
You just need something that handles 4ohm loads, iirc the onkyo nr709 has everything you need.

Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Audioholic
I will note that Onkyo has been having some issues with HDMI, and I am not sure the Denon receivers in your price range officially support 4ohm speakers. While this might not be an issue with stereo, a full 5 channel setup would probably do well with a more robust receiver. If you do not listen at high volumes, then you could probably do fine with a Denon, but the Primus line really benefits from good amplification.

You could probably find a nice Pioneer Elite used, or bite the bullet, and get a pre-amp and 5 channel amp. Depending on your area, you could possibly find a nice used amp and then either grab a pre-amp or a home theater receiver with pre-outs.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I agree you should upgrade your receiver.

Now other than that, maybe someone should go all across America
and start picking up, all these so-called receivers > that are unable,
or falling apart, because they can not/could not drive the speakers.:)

Last edited:
R

ridfighter

Audioholic Intern
Can y'all recommend me some of the makes and models of receivers please? I am clueless when it comes to receivers , thanks

Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Audioholic
+1 for that Pioneer, didn't see it was still half off. IIRC it uses the same amps as the Elite line, and is an excellent deal.

R

ridfighter

Audioholic Intern
I love all the features and looks of the Marantz 5006, will this be a good reciever for my Infinity primus p363s? also is it safe to but this marantz 5006 refurbished from accessories4less, i would definitly get the 5 year warranty for a extra $45 and the price on this refurbished reciever is only $479, please let me know if this is a good deal?:(

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've bought receivers from AC4L with no issues. Since they are factory refurbished, you get a full factory warranty with them; so no real need to buy an extended one.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If you do not play at extreme volume levels, you will
be fine with the Marantz >> I have run Martin Logan
4 ohm Encore speakers, with a Marantz receiver.

The Marantz is well built and not a wimp.

R

ridfighter

Audioholic Intern
I like the refurbished Marantz 5006 model, will that be enough power for my Infinity Primus speakers? i dont play very loud all the time

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
All Marantz amps state 6 Ohm operation minimum. I've also run 4 Ohm speakers on them without issue. Even with the towers, if you are crossing them to a sub, I don't think it will be an issue.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I like the refurbished Marantz 5006 model, will that be enough power for my Infinity Primus speakers? i dont play very loud all the time
As has been mentioned, the Marantz isn't a weak receiver, and I'd expect it should play to what I'd qualify as spirited levels without significant strain. Further, while it doesn't have a full set of pre-outs, should you deem it not to have sufficient power, ie you find yourself driving it into audible distortion, you can add a two channel amplifier for the main channels.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
It will play them just fine. You should end up with a fine system.

R

ridfighter

Audioholic Intern
thanks for the input, i am going to buy the marantz tommorow:)

M

Michael Sainz

Audiophyte
I know this is an older thread, and I might be throwing a Hail Mary here, but I am in the same boat. I have the Primus PC351 Center, the P163 for front LR's and the P143 for Surround LR. I also have a powered Sub. I am currently running a Denon AVR 591. I am looking to upgrade the receiver. I don't care about network capabilities as I use my Apple TV. Most of these receivers have been discontinued. I would like to spend $600 or less, and I do play it loud with movies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis