Reciever comparison, upgrade or not?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The pictures does not show the actual distance, its about 3 meters to front L&R from my listening position so i have around the same distance to the tv, a 55" PUS8809/12 (no i hate netflix dont need hevc ;) ) I will get back to you with measurements.

Regarding the surrounds i cant to much about them, i tried to move the listening position (read sofa) a bit forward but the surround experiance actually got worse. I should say that im happy with the sound and have no complaints about the system : ) but somehow you always want to improve haha...

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
That graph is in feet/inches and not meters/inches so you would need a TV larger than 75 inches to notice anything better than 1080p when 10feet/3meters from the TV. You have to be crazy close to get a big advantage or use a projector to get a giant screen (And you may have to take out a second mortgage to buy a 4k projector with a decent brightness)

The thing we are fighting here is our eyes limitations resolution and unless we fill up a large portion of our field of view we won't see much detail.

Here is another quick tip to help understand the problem. Sit in your couch and look at your TV. Now hold up your hands about 1 foot/30cm away from your face and use your fingers to form a square around the edges of your TV. You have to close one eye to make it easier. Now keeping your hands in place move your head to the size and check the size of the hole you have just made. Watching your tv from your seating position is sort of like watching a small phone sized device one foot away. We know its a great big TV screen we are looking at so we sort of fool ourselves into thinking we are looking at a giant TV but we are really just looking at a small area on a distant wall. And when we stood one meter from the screen when we bought it we saw some amazing detail which we still remember even if we can't see it now.

4k has a few other advantages like the new colour bit depth available on expensive models. Also 3D can be much better as passive 3D displays which don't have the flickering and expensive glasses problems are not limited to half the resolution which ruins fine detail like text.

R

Rasmus

Audioholic Intern
Aahh okey thanks for the info : )

But what do you guys think, will I need HDCP 2.2 when 4 k bluray arrives or is it likely our beloved "pirates" will crack that encryption too? What about my graphics card? I have the Sapphire HD Radeon 7970 Dual X 3 GB, is that enough? Im googling as we speak but cant find got info : (

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Your graphics card is enough for anything. Pirates will be able to crack encryption, but if you steal movies instead of buying them, you are a dirtbag.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
I would just sit back and enjoy what you have right now receiver wise and not make a decision till they release something and there is enough real content to make considering an upgrade sensible. They will be beavering away making their new disk encryption schemes to match HDCP 2.2 and 4k and it will probably take a little longer this time before they beat it.

Your graphics card will not support HDCP 2.2 and it won't even support HDMI 2.0 since AMD/ATI have only just started looking into this support for their next generation cards. What this means for us is that if you want to use your PC to run a new version of PowerDVD or equivalent that has 4k blu-ray support (but it's not released yet) then you would have to upgrade your graphics card to one that is hopefully available by then. Lot of effort here so it's going to be far easier if you want legal playback to just buy a new 4k blu-ray player.

For other 4k content that is not stored on a blu-ray 4k disk you may not have the HDCP 2.2 requirement. At some point 4k streaming services may require it so 4k netflix for example might require that you have a new HDCP 2.2 4k streaming source box. But who knows.

Also hopefully if you fail the 2.2 requirements it will just downgrade you to 1080p but still work. Lets hope this is the case and we don't have to run round upgrading all our devices even if we don't want 4k!

Also note that if you want to connect your current graphics card via HDMI to your screen and get 4k it may be restricted to 30p frame rate because of the lack of HDMI 2.0 support. This is fine for movies etc but if you want to do 4k gaming or similar higher frame rate things you may want to upgrade your graphics card at some point. Or just stick to 1080p for this application.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis