J

johnnycamp5

Audiophyte
Hello all. Name is John. I'm a newb with a question about the right receiver to buy. I am Purchasing a 3.1 speaker system from HSU. It's called their Ultra 15 3.1 package. Any way I am looking for a mid range ($1500?) receiver for my set up but am having trouble finding something. Most receivers I have found are for the 5.1, 5.2, 7.1, 7.2, or 9.1, or 9.2
surround speakers. I want high end audio but don't need (like) the common surround sound set ups. Am I correct that a 3.1 system is not surround sound? I believe it is just (in my case) the two bookshelf speakers (left and right), a center speaker and a sub (no sound from behind). Wouldn't this particular receiver have three channels plus a mono or pre amp sub out? Even a 5.1 style receiver would do if I could set it up for 3.1. I don't want to spend money on all this other jazz (options) that I know i'll never use (but I'm happy to spend on sound quality,clarity and power). I'll just use this system for watching concerts, some movies and my taste in music which are all on Cd's, dvd's and Blu ray's. We do not listen to am/fm radio of any sort nor do we download music. Is there another option? Sound quality is my priority. I don't give a hoot about video. Like I said I'm a noob so if I sound ignorant it's because I am. Any help appreciated!

Regards, John C.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, you are right that 3.1 is the front three speakers plus a subwoofer, with no surround speakers. I don't think anyone makes a 3.1 receiver. So you need to buy a 5.1 receiver (or more channels; all of the better ones will have more channels). In the setup process, you will tell the receiver that you will not be hooking up anything to the surround channels. I suggest downloading the owner's manual for whatever you are considering buying and read it carefully before you buy, to make sure that it has all the features that you require. And it will probably be confusing reading, no matter what model you select.

If you are not wanting fancy features, you don't need to spend that much on a receiver. And if the specifications listed for the Hsu Ultra 15 speakers are accurate, you don't need a lot of power to play them fairly loud. And if you do want lots of power, buying a receiver with preąmp outputs for all channels and a separate ąmplifier(s) would be the way to do it. But you probably won't need it with those speakers for sane volumes.

I personally would look at the lower end of Yamaha's Aventage line of receivers. Like this one:

RX-A830 - AVENTAGE - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

If that one does not have all the features you require, look to a higher model, but otherwise, I would recommend buying that one and saving some money.

Yamaha tends to give good performance at a good price with superb reliability (if not abused).

Basically, speakers are, by far, the most important thing affecting the sound. So that is where you should be putting your money if you want the best sound for your investment.

You will also want to carefully follow the directions in the manual of the receiver for proper setup.

Last edited:
J

johnnycamp5

Audiophyte
Thanks Pyrrho. That's exactly the kind of info I was wondering about!

Thanks for the time, John C.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
If you didn't purchase a receiver yet, I just bought a Yamaha rx-573 for $328 dollars from tigerdirect.com its 7.1 but the receiver has a 3.1 mode and you can actually use the rear surround outputs to bi amp your left and right front speakers for more power. And this receiver has a good bit of power and a clean crisp sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis