Receiver with required features

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
Hello all,

I've got some nice new speakers on way (Ascend Sierra-1's (can't wait)) and I'm trying to get a new receiver that will power them and meet my requirements and is let's say under $700.

What I need(want):

1. AVR with HDMI inputs - Enough HDMI's to be (somewhat) future proof. Will connect a blu -ray to the AVR.
2. Network capabilities - I want to be able to stream SiriusXM to the reciever. I also may get ITunes so I could utilitize AirPlay
3. Surround sound (5.1) capabilities
4. Zone 2 capabilities- would like to play the same source to BOTH Zone 1 and Zone 2 or have them be independent.
5. An App that I can control the receiver with while I'm on the couch (I'm on my tablet alot, and kindof lazy). Would like to control both Zone 1 and Zone 2 if needed
6. Enough juice to power the Sierra-1s. Don't think this will be an issue for any of them though.
7. Is good for music. I will be using it 80/20 music/movies.

That's all I can think of. Thanks for your help.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
At $700 it will depend on how large your room is and how loud you listen as to whether or not that is enough power. Judging by the specs a receiver will power them, but I'm going to guess they will be better off with more power than a $700 AVR will provide.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
Really? I know the sensitivity for the Sierras is midranged, around 87 db, but from what I've read it doesn't take a whole lot to power them. They will be in a small living room with door openings to a dining room and a small sitting room. Right now I have an older 70W Denon AVR (forget the model) so when I get the Sierra-1s tomorrow, I'll test it out to see how loud they get.

What would you recommend for a set up then with the above requirements, and I forgot to list, I would like it to handle FLAC files, that is closest to $700?? I would have to have wait and save up, but don't mind doing that if I'll have a good long term setup.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I'd check out what is available on accessories4less if you want the most bang for your buck like this Marantz SR 6006, MARANTZ SR6006 Home theater receiver 3D-ready HDMI AirPlay | Accessories4less

There are a couple of units at around your price point that have most (if not all) the features you are looking for. Plus if you get one with preouts like the Marantz, you'll be able to add a 2 channel amp later if you think you need it. You might want to add pre-outs to your list of "required" features.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Stereo? Full range or with a sub and part of a full Sierra package? The current model receivers that have most of the features you are looking that I'd recommend to drive those would be in the $900 range. Denon 2313, Marantz 5007, otherwise used or last year's models. *edit as you can see the others already got it :)

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
In that price range, with the features you want, here are a couple more to consider:

NAD - T-748 Home Theater Receiver - $699.95

• HDMI connectivity for resolutions up to 1080p (4 in, one out)
  • 3D video compatibility
  • HD surround sound decoding, including Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio
  • Legacy surround decoding plus NAD EARS surround mode
  • Connections for external control systems (Crestron, AMX, Nevo, etc.) with RS-232 and IR In
  • Five custom AV presets with specific speaker settings and surround modes (Blu-ray player, action movie, music, gaming, etc.)
  • Interface for optional NAD's IPD 2 Dock
  • On-screen video display
  • Highly sensitive FM/AM tuner with 30 station presets and RDS support
  • HDMI, component video, S-Video, and composite video connections
  • Seven channel analog audio outputs
  • Coaxial and optical digital outputs (2 of each)
  • Audio pre-outs
  • AM/FM antenna terminals
NAD - T-748 Home Theater Receiver-Audio Advisor

YAMAHA RX-A720 7.2-Channel Receiver

YAMAHA RX-A720 7.2-Channel Receiver - Newegg.com

YAMAHA RX-V673BL 7-Channel AV Receiver

YAMAHA RX-V673BL 7-Channel AV Receiver - Newegg.com

<tbody>
</tbody>

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the replys. Yes I would want pre-outs. Can't figure out how to edit my OP though. I will eventually use it as a 5.1 system with a Zone 2 capabilities, but right now just 2.1 . I don't care for how the Marantz look, not rhyme or reason just don't care for it, though if Marantz are superior in sound I would go with it. I was looking at the Denon 2313 and I'm not sure if I would be able to play the same source through Zone 1 AND Zone 2. I know I wouldn't be able to play network connected sources through the Zone 2 at all, but would I be able to play music of my computer or with an Ipod through both Zones??

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
In that price range, with the features you want, here are a couple more to consider:

NAD - T-748 Home Theater Receiver - $699.95

• HDMI connectivity for resolutions up to 1080p (4 in, one out)
  • 3D video compatibility
  • HD surround sound decoding, including Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio
  • Legacy surround decoding plus NAD EARS surround mode
  • Connections for external control systems (Crestron, AMX, Nevo, etc.) with RS-232 and IR In
  • Five custom AV presets with specific speaker settings and surround modes (Blu-ray player, action movie, music, gaming, etc.)
  • Interface for optional NAD's IPD 2 Dock
  • On-screen video display
  • Highly sensitive FM/AM tuner with 30 station presets and RDS support
  • HDMI, component video, S-Video, and composite video connections
  • Seven channel analog audio outputs
  • Coaxial and optical digital outputs (2 of each)
  • Audio pre-outs
  • AM/FM antenna terminals
NAD - T-748 Home Theater Receiver-Audio Advisor

YAMAHA RX-A720 7.2-Channel Receiver

YAMAHA RX-A720 7.2-Channel Receiver - Newegg.com

YAMAHA RX-V673BL 7-Channel AV Receiver

YAMAHA RX-V673BL 7-Channel AV Receiver - Newegg.com

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
I looked at the Yamaha RX-V673BL. savingslots . com has it for $150 less than everybody else! What gives? Anyone ever by from that website?? I might jump on that if it's legit

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I have never heard of savingslots. You could check Yamaha's website and see if they are listed as an authorized dealer. You may pay more at an authorized dealer, but it will save you a lot of headaches if you do have problems.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
So I got my Sierra-1s yesterday, and they sound fantastic. I don't have much experience with high end speakers so I can't really offer a comparison, though they do sound much more accurate and clear thanmy roommates Polk TSi300 (didn't ball field with towers though I know). However my only complaint, was that I couldn't get them get loud enough as I would like. I felt like I was pushing my AVR too much to get volume. I am using a Denon AVR-687 to power the speakers. I had the volume up to 0 db and I still wanted more volume. I'm not sure if you are suppose to push an AVR past that level, it may be different for each receiver I don't know. This receiver is rated at 70 W per channel.

A couple things to note: I was using a subwoofer with the speakers. I also simply detached the speaker wire from the back of the Tsi300s and inserted them into the Sierras without any other adjustments. I believe the audio outputs were setup as "large", should they be changed to small? I would like to run the speakers without a subwoofer in the future.

Please any recommendations on how I can get more volume out of the speakers.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You can go into the channel level and turn that up. That should get your max volume a bit higher. Other than that your looking at a more powerful amp. It really depends on how high you want the db level at what distance.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
You can go into the channel level and turn that up. That should get your max volume a bit higher. Other than that your looking at a more powerful amp. It really depends on how high you want the db level at what distance.
Should the speakers be set to Large or Small if I want to use them without a sub? And what should they be set to if I do want a sub?

I haven't had a chance to do much tickering with them, only had them for about an hour yesterday before I had to put them up.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have much experience with high end speakers so I can't really offer a comparison, though they do sound much more accurate and clear thanmy roommates Polk TSi300 (didn't ball field with towers though I know).
LOL. This didn't even need to be said :)

However my only complaint, was that I couldn't get them get loud enough as I would like. I felt like I was pushing my AVR too much to get volume. I am using a Denon AVR-687 to power the speakers. I had the volume up to 0 db and I still wanted more volume. I'm not sure if you are suppose to push an AVR past that level, it may be different for each receiver I don't know. This receiver is rated at 70 W per channel.
This would be along the lines of why we were asking all those questions previously.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
LOL. This didn't even need to be said :)

This would be along the lines of why we were asking all those questions previously.
LOL at which part? I wasn't trying to give a review of the speakers, I haven't had much time with them and unfortunately won't until next week, though still silly to compare probably. The time I have had listening to them, they sound great and I'm sure I'm going to enjoy them for a long time. I've had a couple "oh cool" moments in hearing different overlapping riffs in some Led Zep and The Who songs I haven't heard before.

I think I may have changed my thinking on my AVR requirements as I have been looking a new flat screen TVs to get... and I realized I don't really care much for high -quality video and might just stay with the AVR I have (though I do want to upgrade eventually to have network capabilites for SiriusXM and music off computer). I'm wondering now is would it be worthwhile to get a separate amp, connected to my current AVR, to power the speakers or to get a new AVR with higher WPC? Would I have to get an amp that has a rated power of more than 70Wpc to get more volume?

I feel it would(could) make sense to get a high rated amp for now and then when I get a new AVR in the future I could still use the amp to power the speakers. Though if I could get an AVR that has a higher WPC that would make a noticable audible difference loudness wise, then I would do that. Thoughts? Recommendations on amps? I wouldn't want to spend more than $300-400 on an amp right now.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
By the way I like to listen to music loud! The first thing I did when hooking up these speakers was to CRANK the AVR, and say, Hey! I want these louder! If these speakers aren't meant for loud listening, that's fine, I'll be happy at the levels they are at now (like I said, I haven't had a chance to appreciate them yet), but the spec says they can handle up to 200W rms, so I feel I could get more juice into these speakers. What do you think

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LOL at which part? I wasn't trying to give a review of the speakers, I haven't had much time with them and unfortunately won't until next week, though still silly to compare probably. The time I have had listening to them, they sound great and I'm sure I'm going to enjoy them for a long time. I've had a couple "oh cool" moments in hearing different overlapping riffs in some Led Zep and The Who songs I haven't heard before.
LOL @ comparing them to the Polks. Not even a comparison :)

I think I may have changed my thinking on my AVR requirements as I have been looking a new flat screen TVs to get... and I realized I don't really care much for high -quality video and might just stay with the AVR I have (though I do want to upgrade eventually to have network capabilites for SiriusXM and music off computer). I'm wondering now is would it be worthwhile to get a separate amp, connected to my current AVR, to power the speakers or to get a new AVR with higher WPC? Would I have to get an amp that has a rated power of more than 70Wpc to get more volume?

I feel it would(could) make sense to get a high rated amp for now and then when I get a new AVR in the future I could still use the amp to power the speakers. Though if I could get an AVR that has a higher WPC that would make a noticable audible difference loudness wise, then I would do that. Thoughts? Recommendations on amps? I wouldn't want to spend more than $300-400 on an amp right now.
An amp would be money better spent IMO, unless you really want the newer features. In my book, I will take a simpler system with better power over features every day of the week. NO AVR is going to have an amp section as good as a decent separate amp.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
LOL @ comparing them to the Polks. Not even a comparison :)
Fair enough

An amp would be money better spent IMO, unless you really want the newer features. In my book, I will take a simpler system with better power over features every day of the week. NO AVR is going to have an amp section as good as a decent separate amp
What's a good amp? I'm assuming I'd want around 100-130W?? Around $400-500??

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis