Receiver with HDMI.... or Not?

D

Droff

Junior Audioholic
I'm in the market for a receiver for my theater room I'm building. I have an Oppo 970 and Optoma HD70, but no sound system yet. I'm leaning toward an AVS123 set up with an SVS or HSU sub.

For my receiver I'm not sure I need HDMI. I need to keep in the $500 range for budget but could go to $600 if pressed. I can buy a receiver that upconverts everything to component and still have an HD signal (faux HD I guess, same as HDMI) couldn't I? This should save me money on a receiver shouldn't it? I can run my DVD directly to the HD70 with an HDMI cable and use the receiver for all my component connections, sat -- tuner, Xbox. I have the cables already ran to the projector from the receiver location.

I guess the question is, should I spend more for an upconverting HDMI receiver or will an upconverting component work as well?

Thanks.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Why do you need an upcoverting anything? The oppo aready does a great job of upconversion.. just pass the native signal dirrectly to your display. It doesn't matter if it is sent via component or HDMI as long as the runs are fairly short (ie. in the 6 meter or less range).

Just fine a basic receiver that will work with your speakers,,, ie any pioneer, denon, etc.

D

Droff

Junior Audioholic
I know the Oppo upconverts the signal already, that's why I'm connecting it directly to teh projector. I was just asking about upconverting a component signal to an HDMI signal. Is this just to save on cable runs?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
At this time it seems you have a working solution and not much to gain from getting an upconverting receiver other than running a single HDMI cable to the PJ. With the HDMI 1.3 version coming out later, you might want to wait till then.

One thing to confirm will be if the PJ can process 480i signal on the HDMI input.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm in the market for a receiver for my theater room I'm building. I have an Oppo 970 and Optoma HD70, but no sound system yet. I'm leaning toward an AVS123 set up with an SVS or HSU sub.

For my receiver I'm not sure I need HDMI. I need to keep in the $500 range for budget but could go to $600 if pressed. I can buy a receiver that upconverts everything to component and still have an HD signal (faux HD I guess, same as HDMI) couldn't I? This should save me money on a receiver shouldn't it? I can run my DVD directly to the HD70 with an HDMI cable and use the receiver for all my component connections, sat -- tuner, Xbox. I have the cables already ran to the projector from the receiver location.

I guess the question is, should I spend more for an upconverting HDMI receiver or will an upconverting component work as well?

Thanks.
If you will get into the hi def movies, you should consider HDMI 1.3 version for audio.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I was just asking about upconverting a component signal to an HDMI signal. Is this just to save on cable runs?
Yes, it is so you can use only one HDMI cable from receiver to projector. Component Video is not 'faux HD' - it will carry full HD and will be a whole lot more reliable than HDMI.

SNAKE

SNAKE

Enthusiast
Yes, it is so you can use only one HDMI cable from receiver to projector. Component Video is not 'faux HD' - it will carry full HD and will be a whole lot more reliable than HDMI.

But excuse me for askin,will it carry 1080 p ? i see HDMI gets beat up alot and aparently it isnt that great.I dont think component will carry that high of resolution will it? :confused:

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Component video cables can carry 10x the bandwidth needed for 1080p. The issue is whether or not the receiver will output 1080p over component.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis