Receiver update or downgrade

D

Dreko

Enthusiast
Here is a thing I have a denon avr-791 receiver which is a 90 watts per channel. I 'm thinking to replace it with a Marantz sr8002 which it sale on ebay from time to time. The sr 8002 is a 125 watts per channel thx certified. It will really make any improvements in sound those extra watts? I'm also looking to the denon AVRS 910 which has the same amount of power of my current denon but with the all new technology. I don't really care about dolby atmos or dtsx, ceiling speaker is way to ugly in my opinion. The think is a extra 35 watts makes the different in sound. Sometimes I crank up the volume to hear the hulk screaming in anger in avenger, that why I consider swapping receiver. Thanks for all your comments

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I really don't think you'd notice the extra 35 watts for normal listening. You don't mention your Speakers or if you have a Sub or two. I'd probably focus there before changing out the AVR-791.

D

Dreko

Enthusiast
Hello Jim, I have Polk RT tower and matching surround and center channel 7.1. The sub I think is a Yamaha YST90. So according of what you said I get better improvement in sound updating my speaker. I'm thinking on using dipole for my side surround.
What are your opinion on tower speaker build in power subwoofer like Definitive?

Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The extra power won't gain you much headroom. You would be lucky if it is audible at all. You will get a lot more out of upgrading to more powerful speakers. The Polk RTs aren't bad, so it won't be cheap. I would steer clear of towers with subs built in. The bass capability of those tower speakers do not compare to a good sub- they are very compromised subs. Get a real subwoofer instead.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I'm not that keen on Dipoles like some folks are for surrounds. I think Sound Engineers today mix for discreet points of sound not a diffused field effect. When 90% of your sound comes from the Fronts and the Sub, those would be my area of concern before surrounds. In your case head for a good Sub. What is your budget? If you have $500 US there are a few very decent Subs available these days. The SVS PB-1000 would be a dramatic improvement IMHO.

D

Dreko

Enthusiast
Thanks again guys. Well I took a look to the svs sub and the spec are very nice for the price. My budget could be close to 700 but by 500 the svs is no brainer. thanks again for the help

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Dreko,

The SVS Subs have a great buyer protection plan. 45 day in home test and if you don't like it return it - no questions asked and they pay all freight => it's a real no brainer.

By the way, if you want to splurge $30 more than your budget there the PB-2000 at the outlet store.

http://www.svsound.com/collections/outlet-specials

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis