receiver trouble? Probably user error.

J

JonPW

Enthusiast
Hi. I just set up my first HT setup tonight using ascend speakers and an onkyo 608 receiver, a samsung tv too.

So the issue I am having with em is this.

well first of all the video is coming in a-ok. The speakers are working whenever the onkyo receiver plays test noises, so that is good.

The bad is when I try to play any audio over hdmi, no good there. I get video but no sound.

all of my components are pretty new. I am trying to do sound over an xbox 360 as a test device btw, I also have tried it over cable tv.

Hm. I wonder if it's my xbox? I bet that's it. I'll go try out a different cable.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Try plugging your 360 directly into your TV. Any audio then?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
actually you might want to check in the xbox settings list and make sure the xbox is set up to output digital audio through hdmi, if i'm not mistaken it's set to output Pro Logic II in analog by default.

J

JonPW

Enthusiast
Okay thanks I will verify that. I think it is set to output dolby

Yeah it was, but I had chosen a dolby output option that my 608 didn't recognize. I dropped it down one level to dolby 5.1 and now I have 2 channel front stereo. this is an upgrade.

also I have to turn the volume to 50% in order to be at a listening level which is oddish. right? I think I am at the point where I can learn stuff though.

How can I blend the left and right channels with the center?

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Okay thanks I will verify that. I think it is set to output dolby

Yeah it was, but I had chosen a dolby output option that my 608 didn't recognize. I dropped it down one level to dolby 5.1 and now I have 2 channel front stereo. this is an upgrade.

also I have to turn the volume to 50% in order to be at a listening level which is oddish. right? I think I am at the point where I can learn stuff though.

How can I blend the left and right channels with the center?
Onkyo is often set up that way for the volume. As long as you are getting all the volume you need, it's a non-issue.

There should be an auto-setup in the receiver that will do all the blending you need.

J

JonPW

Enthusiast
Yeah I ran the auto setup when I plugged in the microphone. I think I just need to adjust the center channel volume up a pinch and it will be good. :p

so far it's going smoothly, a slow learning experience towards better sound.

So the only hard part right now is the video connection. IMO I probably need to update my video drivers. gonna try that now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis