receiver to sub compatibility

R

Rijo Aricatt

Audiophyte
Hi guys,

Can I hook up polk psw125 with my HK AVR 151?
I want to replace it with my present jbl scs 140 Subwoofer

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Not a problem. Generally, any AVR with a line level preamp out will work with any powered sub with a line level input.

R

Rijo Aricatt

Audiophyte
Many thanks Mark.......
Can you please tell me, then what does it mean that the receiver is 350 watts max.....My 5 satellite speakers are 50 watts each (so total 250 watts)and the sub psw125(150watts).So total wattage to the receiver is 400watts and it is more than its capacity. Does it damage my receiver???

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Watts is the most quoted and least understood of all the terms in audio.

A receiver "puts out" watts. Speakers "absorb" watts.

I don't know what you mean when you say your receiver is 350 watts max. Where did you get that number? Off the back panel? If so, that's what it can draw from the wall socket, not what it puts out.

As for the sub, it's amplifier will "put out" that 150 watts but it doesn't go anywhere. It's used to power the subwoofer.

Your speakers can safely "absorb" 50 watts each on a constant level but, if you're smart, they will work with amps much more powerful than that. You would be surprised at how few watts you use. Just a handful of watts can create a painfully loud sound level in most homes. The only time you come close to pushing the receiver is on brief peaks. You should be fine if you remember this "If it starts to sound bad, turn it down now!"

simply put, you're fine.

Last edited:
F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Watts is the most quoted and least understood of all the terms in audio.

A receiver "puts out" watts. Speakers "absorb" watts.

I don't know what you mean when you say your receiver is 350 watts max. Where did you get that number? Off the back panel? If so, that's what it can draw from the wall socket, not what it puts out.

As for the sub, it's amplifier will "put out" that 150 watts but it doesn't go anywhere. It's used to power the subwoofer.

Your speakers can safely "absorb" handle 50 watts each but, if you're smart, they will work with amps much more powerful than that. You should be fine if you remember this "If it starts to sound bad, turn it down now!"

simply put, you're fine.
I get the point of course. But to be fussy the amplifier puts out voltage and the speakers draw current and dissipate power (watts.) There is no power until some load on the ampifier dissipates it. I only post this because some beginners often think of the amplifier as something that pushes power to the speakers while actually it the speakers that draw the energy from the amplifier.

R

Rijo Aricatt

Audiophyte
The reason behind raising my question is due to an incident that happened on the very first day when I connected my receiver to the sub jbl scs 140 and played heavy metalica with loud sound(almost maximum) and it had burned some transistors in the amp circuit of sub..

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The reason behind raising my question is due to an incident that happened on the very first day when I connected my receiver to the sub jbl scs 140 and played heavy metalica with loud sound(almost maximum) and it had burned some transistors in the amp circuit of sub..
Current draw generates heat so you drew too much current.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis