Receiver (to match Polk Rti8, Csi5, Rti4, PSW505)

A

Acadian

Enthusiast
Wondering what you guys might suggest for the following setup:

Rti8
Csi5 (or CsiA6)
Rti4
PSW505

It's being used for 70/30 for HT/music, room size 12x20x8. With Rogers HD cable, 42" SonyGW III, XBox 360 and PC. Futureproof would be nice, but not a necessity...as i don't see HDMI being used for at least a few years.

I know budget is the first question you'll have...the cheaper the better i guess ($500ish). I live in Canada, so i might not have all the options you guys in the US have.

Thanks!

Last edited:
S

starflight

Junior Audioholic
Keep an eye out for sales for older receivers for the year before. HK is very good in my opinion but I also really like Yamaha's and Onkyo as well. There always sales I find.

A

Acadian

Enthusiast
Keep an eye out for sales for older receivers for the year before. HK is very good in my opinion but I also really like Yamaha's and Onkyo as well. There always sales I find.
That's what i'm doing, except i don't really know what to look for.

The ones i see (on sale) at Future Shop are Pioneer VSX-1017TXV-K ($399), Yamaha HTR6060 ($399) and Harmon Kardon AVR247 ($449) and Yamaha HTR6090B (pricier for $599).

I have no idea if these are good enough or worth the money, i also have no idea if these are good enough to get good clean sound from my setup.

S

starflight

Junior Audioholic
Honestly, unless you want all the bells and whistles as seen in the high end bracket, most receivers in your price range will suffice for most HT setups. I mean for $500, you can definitely get 7.1, DTS, Dolby Digital,Dolby PLII, etc 100+ WPC. Now all you need to figure out what brand you want and if the design and interface suits your taste.

A

Acadian

Enthusiast
Does anyone have an opinion on the Denon 1708 and 1908? They are a bit pricier than the other ones i mention.

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
Just determine your connectivity needs as almost anything will drive that setup. I'm an Onkyo fan personally but the previous suggestions are solid as well. I don't know how Emotiva sells their gear that low but it's certainly attractive.

I would suggest you think about HDMI sooner than later.

Mark
Polk Audio CS

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis