Q

quadchris8390

Audiophyte
We just got a new Onkyo TX NR-626 receiver. I don't believe we are getting the greatest sound out of it. We have ran the setups with the mic in the center of the room and so far I am not impressed by this receiver. I am sure it is just something we are not doing right or something. They make it sound so great at the store but once I got it home, it is just mediocre at best. I was running a Yamaha receiver and seemed to be having the same issue. Can anybody give me some numbers on how my system should be set up?

Center channel speakers = Yamaha ns-c444
Tower Speakers = Yamaha ns-777
Rear bookshelfs = Yamaha ns-b310
Subwoofer = Klipsch (not sure of model)

I believe we have good speakers but just aren't getting optimal sound out of them.

Thanks for the help.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

I also own that receiver (and I wrote a review of it on this site link here). While I'm not a big fan of Audyssey, or at least its ability to only calibrate for one general location in a room, I did find that receiver to have good power and nice features. What do you find lacking in the audio? Also, what are you using as a source - blu-ray player, media streamer, TV?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
OK, first off I heard them Yamaha towers and they aren't bad at all {a little over priced but sound decent}. For the mic placement are you putting it at the middle seating position or in the middle of the room, it was my understanding it should be at the ear height of the center seated/listening position, mounted on something hard {not a bunch of stacked up pillows, I have seen this make a difference}. Everything should be quiet {no talking or phones ringing}...

I personally only use the auto setups as a starting point, it gets the phase and speakers all in the right position... But for the most part do the crossing and balancing myself... I use one of these for the balancing Amazon.com : USB Handy Digital Sound Noise Level Meter Decibel Pressure Logger with Tripod Mounting : Digital Voice Recorders : Electronics , I start by getting them all in "phase" toggle through the phase settings and pick the loudest on, then just run the avr through its test tones for each speaker one by one and set them all to the same level, so you play center at 0 and look at the meter, if it is reading 90db at the listening position, now move onto the front right and set that to 90db, then front left set to 90db, and move on through the lineup..... that will balance everything out.. Now for crossing, I would set your front to 70 or 80hz high pass and set the sub to the same thing except low pass... that will get you close, you may need to play with the levels a bit after, some people like to run the sub hot and some like to run the center hot, I prefer the sub set back a little and the center a little louder....

Believe it or not your front left and right aren't going to do much and your surrounds are going to do much less, your center and sub in an HT do the lions share of the work... Now for music its an entirely different ball game, run your fronts direct stereo full range and they should sound best...
good luck... and welcome to AH

Q

quadchris8390

Audiophyte
I replaced my still working Yamaha rx-v461 receiver with this onkyo. I really don't hear a difference in clarity or anything. I have all of the components wired via hdmi to the receiver and then back out to the tv. When we listen to a cd or radio it sounds amazing. When we are watching tv or a DVD it is just so so. When we talked to the salesman, he said that was my issue is that my receiver isn't that great. So we bought this one and I really can't tell a difference. I am not the most audio savvy person but I figured we would be able to tell the difference in the 2. What do they do at those big box stores that make this stuff sound so amazing? Haha

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Your first issue was listening to the salesman, I have yet to hear a HUGE difference from one AVR to another, the differences are in the programming, power, and the options they offer, like certain dolbies, and certain room acoustic software, and other options, like preouts, airplay, additional zones, networking, ect, And the power differences are so small they normally can not be heard, plus most avrs are 6ohm stable {with few exceptions in the higher end stuff}...

I think you can do better than the 626 for the money, not sure what you paid ONKYO TX-NR626 7.2-Ch Network A/V Receiver | Accessories4less , but if you can return it I would and look into something like the MARANTZ SR5005 100w X 7ch 3-D Home Theater Surround Receiver | Accessories4less or DENON AVR-990 7.1ch Networking A/V Theater Surround Receiver | Accessories4less ect...

but if that isnt an option, Im sure your problem is in the settings, you need to play with the setup....

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Imcloud I don't think the receiver is the issue either. It's the way he has it setup. Can you tell us your setting after the Audessey mic adjustments, then we can go from there.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Imcloud I don't think the receiver is the issue either. It's the way he has it setup. Can you tell us your setting after the Audessey mic adjustments, then we can go from there.
I agree, although if he just bought that 626 and isn't happy with it, there are better options out there for less or the same money...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I replaced my still working Yamaha rx-v461 receiver with this onkyo. I really don't hear a difference in clarity or anything. I have all of the components wired via hdmi to the receiver and then back out to the tv. When we listen to a cd or radio it sounds amazing. When we are watching tv or a DVD it is just so so. When we talked to the salesman, he said that was my issue is that my receiver isn't that great. So we bought this one and I really can't tell a difference. I am not the most audio savvy person but I figured we would be able to tell the difference in the 2. What do they do at those big box stores that make this stuff sound so amazing? Haha
Read these and get back to us: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/beginners-audiophytes/79945-setting-up-home-audio.html#post884979

S

SearchofSub

Banned

Are you guys actually reading his post?"

"I have all of the components wired via hdmi to the receiver and then back out to the tv. When we listen to a cd or radio it sounds amazing. When we are watching tv or a DVD it is just so so."

Nothing to do with room acoustics. Its the source that you are playing. (some are recorded in 44/24 some are recorded in 94/24 etc). Your reciever is fine. Go look through the music section of this forum, there should be lists of good mastered recordings.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
To further add, you are using the AVR's matrix codes (PL IIZ/Dolby Digital etc) and it is all downstreamed and compressed to the matrix code. So do yourself a favor and and pick up a real good DAC (digital to analog converter) that plays the source without matrix codes involved and is good with time clocking, and as long as the source is mastered well, you should get the quality sound from CD's and FM that you like.

S

SearchofSub

Banned

All AVR's are built with the around the same $10 chips so you really wont get that much difference. Now, compare an AVR (audio video reciever in one) to a OPPO-105 DAC which is the Sabre chip which is $50.00 (still a rip but oh well) and you will be able to tell a difference. Now, compare the OPPO-105 DAC (sabre chip) to the lets say.. a $300.00 PCM1704UK chip for your "sound", then you get a better quality sound (clarity/texture/soundstage etc) but by this time, you are already looking at the seperates and is AWAY from the POS AVR's nowdays and costs about $1200.00 starting just for a DAC. Then you have entered a entry level hifi market.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Utter twaddle-speak says I.

All AVR's are built with the around the same $10 chips so you really wont get that much difference. Now, compare an AVR (audio video reciever in one) to a OPPO-105 DAC which is the Sabre chip which is $50.00 (still a rip but oh well) and you will be able to tell a difference. Now, compare the OPPO-105 DAC (sabre chip) to the lets say.. a $300.00 PCM1704UK chip for your "sound", then you get a better quality sound (clarity/texture/soundstage etc) but by this time, you are already looking at the seperates and is AWAY from the POS AVR's nowdays and costs about $1200.00 starting just for a DAC. Then you have entered a entry level hifi market.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis