Receiver recommendations $250-$500 Range

E

ebterp

Audioholic Intern
First foray into home theatre so anything will be an improvement!!! ha ha
Small room 16 X 13. I would say 60/40 splits movies/music. What would you recommend in this price range? Have been taking a close look at both pioneers' (1015 & 815) any other options?? opinions?

EB

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
In that price range those are probably your best bets. The 1015tx is a huge step up from the 815, so if your looking to spend higher in your budget its at the top of the sub $800 dollar range. Ive seen it as low as $430 shipped from www.jr.com which is an authorized retailer. IMO you can't go wrong with the 1015 in your budget range.

M

msmith855

Junior Audioholic
I would also take a close look at the Yamaha HTR-5890 or RX-V757 or 657 (depending on your feature requirements... dual zones etc). You can find a VERY good write-up on the 657 here:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/reviews/pdf_reviews/RX-V657review.pdf

ebterp said:
First foray into home theatre so anything will be an improvement!!! ha ha
Small room 16 X 13. I would say 60/40 splits movies/music. What would you recommend in this price range? Have been taking a close look at both pioneers' (1015 & 815) any other options?? opinions?

EB

R

RhapsodyInBlack

Junior Audioholic
I would suggest checking out some yamaha receivers. The 5840 is in your range,and i can personally vouch for the quality and design of the 5840. The 5840 is slightly limited in its video in's and out's and its digital audio in's and out's. With that being said,trying to find a new $300 receiver that offers the same amount of video and audio inputs as a $900 receiver is an impossible task. The 5840 has great sound quality, allows individual speaker tweaks, center channel eq, and a multitude of other options. the yamaha DSP could also be another factor as why it'd be a good choice. Pair that receiver up with a yamaha dvd player and a bic acoustech speaker package and you have a home theater system costing less than $2000 that will pack a hell of a punch and leave enough money left over to put some food on the table.

L

LOUMFSG

Junior Audioholic
Also check out Onkyo

I find Onkyo to have very competitive offerings for entry-level receivers. The TX-SR503 or the TX-SR602 are nice receivers, although they don't match the VSX-1015tx for features.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
For $500 ...

I would look at the Yamaha RX-V1500. It is THX Select and a step above some of the other Yamaha models suggested.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
jcPanny said:
I would look at the Yamaha RX-V1500. It is THX Select and a step above some of the other Yamaha models suggested.
dont think you can find the Yammy 1500 for anywhere close to that price at an authorized dealer, but if your not worried about that I think it can be found for around 550, but IMO the Pioneer 1015tx is a better value

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I tend to stay away from Kenwood products, as I've just found them to be not-so-reliable. However, the THX-Select endorsement means that it can't be total crap. How much are you looking to pay for this unit?

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
My suggestion would be the Denon AVR-1905.

Secrets just did a review of this unit and it was overall very positive. MSRP is only $499, and since the 1906 has just been released to replace it, you can probably find it much much cheaper.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Deal on Denon 1905

You can get a good deal on the refubished Denon AVR-1905 from E-cost, an authorized dealer, for $260.
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=506000

I was looking at this model, but it doesn't have the A/V Sync feature I need for a front projector. I also noticed that they added this feature to the new model, the Denon AVR-1906.
Right now I am leaning towards a HK AVR-235 from Harman Audio.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
jcPanny said:
You can get a good deal on the refubished Denon AVR-1905 from E-cost, an authorized dealer, for $260.
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=506000

I was looking at this model, but it doesn't have the A/V Sync feature I need for a front projector. I also noticed that they added this feature to the new model, the Denon AVR-1906.
Right now I am leaning towards a HK AVR-235 from Harman Audio.
at $260 thats hard to beat for the value, but it really just comes down to how much you are willing to spend

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis