Receiver or separates for this set-up...?

C

csm_274

Audioholic Intern
I'm considering the following set-up for a new home theater system:

2 Aerial Acoustic Model 6 (L/R) - specs below:

Frequency Response: 38Hz to 22kHz ±2dB, -6dB at 34Hz
Sensitivity: 86dB at 2.83 Vrms and 1.0 meter on axis
Impedance: 6Ω nominal, 4Ω minimum, low reactance
Power Requirements: 50 to 250 watts (8Ω rating) recommended

1 Aerial Acoustic CC5 (center) - specs below:

Frequency Response: 40Hz to 22kHz ±2dB, -6dB at 35Hz
Sensitivity: 86dB at 2.83 Vrms and 1.0 meter on axis
Impedance: 4Ω nominal, 3Ω minimum, low reactance
Power Requirements: 100 to 700 watts (8Ω rating) recommended

1 JL Audio F110 (woofer) - obviously, self-powered
2 Triad Omniround 5 (rear in-ceiling)
~65" Plasma (brand unknown)

The dealer believes the Aerials are more power hungry than most, and that a separate set-up is warranted to supply ample power (as opposed to a powerful receiver - i.e. Integra 8.9 or 9.9). Thoughts? Will a solid receiver be sufficient? Are separates necessary to get the full potential out of this set-up?

Additionally, I "may" add 2-3 zones to my system down the road...if so, that might be the time I add additional power to the system.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I would not hesitate to run those speakers with a flagship receiver like the Integra DTR-9.9. I'm sure you've already gone over the spec sheet, but look at what it offers. http://www.integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?m=DTR-9.9&class=Receiver&p=f

145 wpc (20-20kHz, 0.05thd), torroidal transformer, 4 ohm certified. I suspect that it's an equal or better amp section than my Rotel RMB-1075. Sure, they want some good coin to buy it, but it's not as much as if you were to buy the DHC-9.9 and a separate amp.

Plus, it's got a killer set of additional features. Reon HQV video, zone 2 component video out, all forms of radio (HD, XM, Sirius, Satellite, internet), etc. I took some long and tender loving glances at the Onkyo 905 to drive my 4 ohm Dynaudios before I got the DTC-9.8 but I already had the Rotel so the choice was easier for me. Grab a DTR-9.9 and don't look back.

C

csm_274

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Davemmc. Don't know if you recall, but I have asked about the Aerials and ERAs in earlier threads. Still a bit undecided, but the Aerials have my interest after a second, although brief, audition. The clarity and clean sound seems to be a step up compared to the ERAs. If only the prices were more in line. Still digging the ERAs?

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I lent the Era D5's to my brother for a while. After a round of auditioning a number of speakers against the D5, I came away with a renewed appreciation of the Era. My brother ended up buying a pair of Epos ELS-3 for well under half the price of the Era but once we got the Epos back to his house and compared them back to back, the Era were clearly the superior speaker and IMHO worth the extra expense.

Then again, there's always the Era D10 or D14 but they are voiced pretty close to the D5. I wish I could have heard a set of the Aerials so that I could be more help to you.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If you were me I would suggest separates, but for most folks I suggest a receiver. Separates are for tinkerers who want to play with eq's and such. Receivers are for most folks who want to plug n play.

Most good receivers can be turned into pre-amps so if you change your mind you only need by the external amps later.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wouldn't it be nice if the new Emotiva pre-pro were released --- oh, like maybe - I don't know --TODAY?:D

What is taking Emotiva soooooooooooooooooooo long to release their $699 UMC-1 pre-pro?:eek:

I think getting the Emotiva XPA-5 Amp (200 Watts/8 ohms x 5Ch) & UMC-1 pre-pro for only $1,500 total (5 yr warranty) is a REAL DEAL --- IF they can release it like maybe this CENTURY.:D

I also think a lot of high-power receivers (Integra, Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, HK, etc.) can do the job fine in most cases, but $1,500 for real high-power separates is just too good to pass up.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis