P

pjoseph

Full Audioholic
I am looking to purchase a new receiver, i am currently using a pioneer receiver that is probally 10yrs old, it was my high school/college setup.
I am looking to spend around $400.
I guess it would only make sense to get a 5 channel one verses a 2 channel one so i could build off of it when i setup surround sound later on.

I just started reading about home audio so i am fairly new.
My brother in law has a harmon karden receiver and I love it, it is a solid receiver, but not sure if i can afford one.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
On your budget, I can recommend Yamaha receivers. If you're currently on stereo, Yams have a very good "straight stereo" mode, which goes past any DSP and produces a good plain analog stereo. I don't use my Yamaha for turntable listening, but I have tried it with quite good results. When you're equipped for surround, Y handles that well, has good switching capability and does well with simulation modes that produce fake 5.1 from stereo recordings. I have a bias toward Yamaha's amplifier sound, which, for cheap amps, is very good. I would characterize the sound as having "ease" and cleanness (which I don't hear in Sonys). I like HK, although, per dollar, they tend to be somewhat underpowered.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
pjoseph, welcome to the forum!

I own a Pioneer 1015 and am quite happy with it. The current version, the 1017, can be had for around $400. The 917 (one model below) can be had for $300 (on sale at Onecall.com this weekend).

Also, Onkyo has a nice set of receivers. Their 500 series has gotten very good reviews for the past few years, and the 505 is about $250. The 605 is about $400.

Which HK receiver is it that you like?

P

pjoseph

Full Audioholic
I am not sure what model harmon karden it is.

car audio has been my hobby for the last five years but i now am getting a company car so it only makes sense to sell my car therefore I have to let car audio go for a while, so i figured i will try to get into home audio and hopfully i get into it like i did with car audio.

I appreciate all your advice and I wiill continue to read around the forums before i make a decision.

Thanks again

G

guiness

Enthusiast
I recently purchased the onkyo 605 mostly for HT but a am very happy with all functions so far(cost approx $400.). I believe the hk 247 is in your price range, I love the look of the hk, but for the money? I would listen to the people on this forum, there is a wealth of knowledge. Then go out a see what recievers work for you.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would stay away from the Pioneer VSX-917, it has a pathetic power supply, capacitors and IC output stage. HDMI is switching only, just like all Big Box store Pioneer models. The VSX-816 is better than the 917, at least the 816 had preouts (the 817 also does not have preouts).

If you don't need HDMI look at used 5.1 receivers on Ebay, possibly 6.1 or 7.1. Look at the Yamaha RX-V659, which has a great amplifier section for the money.

If HDMI is necessary, look for the Onkyo TX-SR605 on sale or look for closeouts on the TX-SR674 and TX-SR604.

My personal vote for the day goes to the JVC RX-DP9VBK available on Ebay with a buy it now price of $300 (not it isn't mine). The seller claims to include the remote and I believe the manual. I used to own this receiver and I can honestly say if you don't need HDMI it is about the best deal for the money. It is a 50 pound monster and can dish out some very serious amounts of power and looks quite nice while doing it.:D The two channel performance from this thing is stellar. 120 watts per channel, 2 channels driven, 20hz-20khz at 0.02% THD, that is a strong and realistic power specification.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-THX-5-1-Receiver-RX-DP9VBK_W0QQitemZ290165610811QQihZ019QQcategoryZ14981QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edit: There is no manual, the seller has a link to one.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
My brother in law has a harmon karden receiver and I love it, it is a solid receiver, but not sure if i can afford one.
Anymore H/K doesn't turn out great electronic gear that is solid. Their repair rate is almost as high as Sony's. Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite and a few others are typically more reliable.

The JVC I mentioned was a Flagship model sometime between 2001-2003, I have not heard of reliability issues with that line, though there have been with their lower base models.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis