Receiver for Pioneer Sp-fs52

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
I read these speakers need lots of power. Will the Denon AVR 1713 be enough? I don't want to lose the Multi EQ XT, but if I need more power then I would like to be suggested something else. I was going to go with the Denon on A4L for 269 so anything under 300 would be great.

The speakers are rated at 6 ohm and 87 db sensitivity.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
While power is like horsepower in that more is always better, sometimes adequate is a realistic goal. In this case, assuming you will be using a subwoofer, you should be fine with the 1713. Bass what really sucks up the power.

If you want a barely significant 3 decible increase in loudness on peaks, you'll need to double your available power and that would really bump up your costs.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on the size of your room, how loud you intend to listen, etc... It may be enough power as is, but you won't know until you give it a shot. Do you have a large area to fill and expect to listen very loud?

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
Yes it is. 16x18x12 with an open concept added

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
I saw a hk avr 1700 at best buy for 250

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The power difference between the two units is insignificant. As I said earlier, to make a barely audible difference would require twice the power.

If you want a more detailed explanation, you'll need to do a little reading. Start here for Part 1. Now that you've got the concept of decibels down, you're ready for Part 2 where they tie power, loudness and decibels together.

Now, perhaps the bad news. Those speaker are only rated to handle 130 watts, less than twice the power that receiver puts out. They can probably handle more for very short periods (peaks) but, if loudness on a consistent level is your goal in a room that size, these might not be the speakers for you.

Those speakers are well suited for that receiver in normal sized rooms at a spirited level but, in a large room at high volumes, maybe not so.

What's an "open concept"?

Last edited:
C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
It's open to the kitchen and dining room. I was looking at the bic ft-6t also because they have larger drivers and higher sensitivity

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I saw a hk avr 1700 at best buy for 250

AVR-1700

HT Labs Measures
Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 96.7 watts
1% distortion at 108.9 wattsFive channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 32.8 watts
1% distortion at 39.5 watts

That seems quite adquate for for the FS52 considering that they are rated only 130W maximum input.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I'm using the Pioneers in a 19 X 14 room with a vaulted ceiling, don't remember the height of the ceiling exactly. The room is also open to a 12 X 8 dining area. The Pioneers easily fill the room with sound. I would say unless you listen at unhealthy levels, I cannot imagine volume being an issue.

There is an entire thread dedicated to the Pioneer speakers on here, if you are having doubts, I recommend that you read it. It is a really long thread which attests to how much people like the Pioneers.

Now quality of sound may be something else altogether, but I am under the impression you've listened to the Pioneers and liked them, but not the Bics.

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
Here is a screen shot of my eq for my music player. Maybe that will help with choosing a speaker.

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
I like listening to rock and like the crunchy sound. I also like dynamic treble response to glass shattering that makes you jump.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'll say this much about equalizers and leave it at that: If you start boosting frequencies, you're gonna run out of power reeeeeeeeeeeal fast, and probably overdrive your speakers. You're best off using them in a subtractive mode.

Reference those two links I posted.

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
The bass boost was for the headphones only.

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
The power difference between the two units is insignificant. As I said earlier, to make a barely audible difference would require twice the power.

If you want a more detailed explanation, you'll need to do a little reading. Start here for Part 1. Now that you've got the concept of decibels down, you're ready for Part 2 where they tie power, loudness and decibels together.

Now, perhaps the bad news. Those speaker are only rated to handle 130 watts, less than twice the power that receiver puts out. They can probably handle more for very short periods (peaks) but, if loudness on a consistent level is your goal in a room that size, these might not be the speakers for you.

Those speakers are well suited for that receiver in normal sized rooms at a spirited level but, in a large room at high volumes, maybe not so.

What's an "open concept"?
Ok, I read them. It tells of an example of an inefficient speaker(pioneer),large room and loud listening levels and needing lots of power. Pretty much sums up situation. Will the 85w per channel be "lots of power?"

Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Audioholic
If they have a 87dB sensitivity, it means they will produce a loudness of 87 dB with 1 watt of power at 1 meter away. If you give your system 32 watts, it is going to produce a loudness of 102 dB at 1 meter. Now, since you have a large room, and we assume you are at the worst sitting 16 feet from the speakers, you are going to lose about 16 dB. This means with a modest amount of power you are going to have a loudness of 86 dB at your listening position, more if you sit closer. Now 86 dB is loud, if you look in that link from earlier, that is like a train whistle. This however is about where your receiver will comfortably max out. Getting to 89 dB at 16' will require 64 watts, and 92 dB at 16' will require 128 watts.

If you really like it loud, and given your large space, I would take a look at the BIC speakers. The FH-6T has a 96 dB sensitivity, so with 32 watts, you will have a loudness of 95 dB at 16' away (This is like standing across the street from a jackhammer).

M

microhelper

Audiophyte
Would love some help: I'm shopping for a new stereo for the first time in 30 years. The SP-FS52 sounds like the best low-budget audiophile speaker. I have a 27-year old 40w NAD receiver—would that be sufficient for these speakers? For a modest-sized living room (12' x 16' w/8' ceiling). I did read the SP-FS52's should have 100x+ per channel, was considering the getting Sony STR‑DH130, though it has no subwoofer out. Any suggestion welcome! Thank you.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Would love some help: I'm shopping for a new stereo for the first time in 30 years. The SP-FS52 sounds like the best low-budget audiophile speaker. I have a 27-year old 40w NAD receiver—would that be sufficient for these speakers? For a modest-sized living room (12' x 16' w/8' ceiling). I did read the SP-FS52's should have 100x+ per channel, was considering the getting Sony STR‑DH130, though it has no subwoofer out. Any suggestion welcome! Thank you.
If the 40W NAD was rated 40W per channel then you should be fine for your relatively small room. That's assuming you sit no further than say 3 meters from them and you don't listen too loud.

The SP-FS52 can handle a maximum of 130W but it does not mean it needs that much all day long. It can handle 130W peaks for sure and the NAD could probably handle peaks of double their 40W rating without audible distortion. I highly doubt the Sony would offer more power in a meaningful way, don't take those marketing specs too seriously.

M

microhelper

Audiophyte
Thank you Peng! It's actually 20w per channel, 40w total (NAD 7220PE). I've always been told that NAD power ratings are very conservative, but wasn't sure 20w per channel is enough to drive the tweeter & 3 woofers on the SP-FS52's (or even if that's how to break these things down). I read in this review that the SP-FS52 likes a lot of power...but I may just try them with my current receiver. If they need more power, sounds like the current NAD C 316BEE could do the job. I don't tend to turn them up very loud and should generally be within 3 meters of them.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you Peng! It's actually 20w per channel, 40w total (NAD 7220PE). I've always been told that NAD power ratings are very conservative, but wasn't sure 20w per channel is enough to drive the tweeter & 3 woofers on the SP-FS52's (or even if that's how to break these things down). I read in this review that the SP-FS52 likes a lot of power...but I may just try them with my current receiver. If they need more power, sounds like the current NAD C 316BEE could do the job. I don't tend to turn them up very loud and should generally be within 3 meters of them.
Well then I think you probably do need the bigger NAD.:D No matter how conservative the 20WPC amp is, it is a little weak for the FS52 unless you sit within 10 ft or less, are totally happy with 75 to 78 dB average and don't need more, not even occasionally. You are absolutely right about trying them with what you have first though, and go from there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis