Receiver for new UHD TV owner

P

pookieguy

Audiophyte
Hi all,
New to UHD and just purchased one of these TVs and I'm amazed! I'm assuming I would now need a new receiver to replace old with either 4k pass through and/or upscale. Not sure if both are required?

Now, Please note that I'm on a budget and while I want the best sound possible, I'm only able to spend around $350 on one at the moment. While I will consider a decent one without wireless capabilities, it would be nice to have. At least ability to stream music. I already have some decent Energy speakers so at least I can spend all on just a receiver.

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks. :)

--mike

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Congrats on the UHD TV, which model did you end up going with?

You are facing a real dilemma in choosing to pick up a receiver now considering you have UHD.

The problem is that once the 4k Blue Ray players arrive, they will come with the HDCP 2.2 requirement (Copy Protection) scheme for UHD.

- The only receivers currently supporting HDCP 2.2 are Onkyo and no models in that price range
- The HDCP 2.2 on Onkyo is Not full bandwidth, but it's not a problem since all TVs only do 4:2:0 not 4:4:4 (color)
- You will NOT be able to pass the signal unless your receiver is HDCP 2.2 compliant, so it would have to run the HDMI directly to the TV
- You really don't need to do upscale because the TV already does that

My suggestion is to wait it out another 4-6 months until the newer models come out wither the HDCP 2.2 built in, otherwise it will be a waste of money.

I am in the same boat, I am going to be picking up the Marantz AV8802 when it comes with it built in.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Im curious what model of decent energy speakers do you have? Is it take 5 classic by chance? I'm also curious on why did you think it would be great idea to spend large amount of money on useless feature rather than on decent audio

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Im curious what model of decent energy speakers do you have? Is it take 5 classic by chance? I'm also curious on why did you think it would be great idea to spend large amount of money on useless feature rather than on decent audio
Maybe Video is more important to him? Hey wait, is any source higher than 1080p? Some day man, some day. Next thing you know, they will come out with 3D for home....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe Video is more important to him? Hey wait, is any source higher than 1080p? Some day man, some day. Next thing you know, they will come out with 3D for home....
Who knows, maybe he has eagle eye sight and can see the pixels on 55" tv (i guess) from a 8ft

P

pookieguy

Audiophyte
Cos,
Thank you much for the valuable information. It did help after some additional research and I have already decided which route to take.

As to the rest of you...

Do you even realize just how pathetic you all are? Your replies are ignorant and childish and most importantly, unhelpful in every way possible. It short, and coming from someone who has run forums in the past, it is clearly the type of registered users I would immediately ban from registering and posting.

You all clearly have no knowledge on UHD and are likely those jealous and or upset because you all don't have the privilege to jump into new technology and therefore are quick to make completely useless and inaccurate judgements on it.

I have set this TV up and have properly calibrated. All I will end with is...

If you only knew!

**moderators keep that in mind**

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, you're the one that asked for our input. One of the owners (and mods) wrote that article I linked. ...and one of his tecchies commented on it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
between me, markw and ParadigmDawg we have combined over 8000 likes.
We are clearly noobs and trolls here and know absolutely nothing but to insult people.
/s

as for our knowledge in UHD - It seems you are missing few important details before calling us idiots or jealous.

A) I would surely purchase a 4k/UHD PROJECTOR then good ones will come out
B) I would definitely NOT buy a UHD TV for my living room since 80-90" TV would not be good fit for my family room.

This article might provide you some MUCH needed education and knowledge:
http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

But you clearly proven that you have a superman vision and rules of physics and human anatomy does not apply to you

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I agree the comments here were unnecessary. I don't care how many likes you have. We don't have to get into the whole argument why we shouldn't buy UHD. His question was quite simple. Which receiver should I buy. There was an answer to his question. Move along

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
also agree... you may have a whole bunch of likes, but the three of you spent 5 posts essentially talking crap and not offering up any advice that would be helpful to this new guy with what is literally his first post of the forum.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
also agree... you may have a whole bunch of likes, but the three of you spent 5 posts essentially talking crap and not offering up any advice that would be helpful to this new guy with what is literally his first post of the forum.

COS said it all in post 2. ;)
There is no $350 receiver that is HDCP 2.2 compliant. Even the Onkyo has limited support.

We do not know if the video will be restricted by UHD players or Audio/Video. If both, then you cannot use a dual display device unless the audio is down-sampled somehow.

You have to wait and see how UHD players are defined to make an educated decision.

- Rich

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Cos,
Thank you much for the valuable information. It did help after some additional research and I have already decided which route to take.

As to the rest of you...

Do you even realize just how pathetic you all are? Your replies are ignorant and childish and most importantly, unhelpful in every way possible. It short, and coming from someone who has run forums in the past, it is clearly the type of registered users I would immediately ban from registering and posting.

You all clearly have no knowledge on UHD and are likely those jealous and or upset because you all don't have the privilege to jump into new technology and therefore are quick to make completely useless and inaccurate judgements on it.

I have set this TV up and have properly calibrated. All I will end with is...

If you only knew!

**moderators keep that in mind**
LOL.

Good luck, early adopters pretty much always get the short end of the stick. We can learn from your mistakes.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I think you misunderstood the point of what was being said. The point is that the standards for UHD TV are still in a state of flux and may not pass the UHD signal when all those ducks are in a row. The article made it pretty clear. That's the only point I was trying to make.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
at least you tried to give him some information and some other things to read on the subject. I admit your post did have something to offer and wasn't just "talking crap" as i put it. I really want to avoid an argument though so i will halt my posts on this thread here :).

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I agree the comments here were unnecessary. I don't care how many likes you have. We don't have to get into the whole argument why we shouldn't buy UHD. His question was quite simple. Which receiver should I buy. There was an answer to his question. Move along
Well RG, with standards in that area in flux, we're at a loss to provide a good answer. But, you can feel free to answer OP's question.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I agree, sometimes the answers can be a little blunt, but I don't believe they are malicious in intent. Comments made concerning UHD are valid it that it is very difficult to notice a difference with 1080p vd 4k at distances above 8ft on a 65" 4k TV. In my case I got my 2800 sony for $1900.00, which was little more than a tier 1 1080p with similar feature set, so it was a no brainer. I can tell the difference between the two resolutions, but I am right at that 8ft boarder. Another advantage of the 4k TVs is that a majority of manufactuers will be downsizing the 1080p production in favor of 4k. 4k TVs typically will have the advantage of newer technologies and feature sets, but that is not always the case. As far as LCD TVs go, I really like Sony, Solid picture, color, and I have owned 2 other Sony's without any issue.

My comments on the receiver are accurate and I would just wait a little longer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis