C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
Hello, does anyone here know if a Sunfire Ultimate receiver can be used as an amp only?? And if you could, how?

The idea is to power the 2 from speakers in stereo mode, and the 2 front + center in HT.

It would be a shame to not use its 7 channel 200 watt per channel power!!

Last edited:
C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
I like the ease of use, connectivity and YPAO of the Yamaha modern receivers, but mine can't touch the power of the Sunfire. I would like more power in the front 3 speakers, and using the Sunfire as amp would be a free alternative to adding a separate amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Always nice to put gear you already have to work....

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
It states its designed as a very short analog-only signal path? Would this be something to take into account?

I am a newbie and prefer to ask than fry!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As long as you don't want to use the processing features it bypasses I wouldn't worry about it.

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
Will the controls and volume be bypassed in the Sunfire, would it become solely an amp??

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Will the controls and volume be bypassed in the Sunfire, would it become solely an amp??
It wouldn't bypass the volume control, so you'll still need to set that an appropriate level in the Sunfire unit. It mentions "DSP-based effects such as tone controls, bass management and DSP surround are bypassed". If it had a main-in set of inputs then it would act more as a power amp.

B

bommai

Audioholic Intern
That's one thing my nad t763 has. 7 channels of main in. But I don't use it because I am using it as a receiver but one day I can put the amp to good use if I were to get a cheaper receiver with pre outs in it. But most cheaper receivers don't have preouts. Yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
Would using the Sunfire Ultimate as a separate amp to power 5 speakers in a 5.1 system recomendable. All things set up correctly, volumes where they need to be, etc... would this work around provide the a good audio quality the sunfire is known for?? Or would there be some sacrifice/downside, apart from having to fidget around with the volume initially?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis